Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clubs and Socs ball tickets/discussion thread

Options
  • 15-03-2009 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭

Any chance of tickets floating around? My source got caught short this year and they seem to have all been snapped up. Really don't wanna miss it after how good it was last year. Even got my suit cleaned already!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

op,can this be the clubs and socs discussion thread i need some advice re suit hire???

to answer your question if you know anyone in the skydive club they might have some left but paul has a waiting list apparently so they may have to give them back to him

also there are afters only tickets available(50 i think) paul is giving these out this wednesday only and it basically gets you in after the dinner and they cost a tenner agai people on the waiting list get priority

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Don't know anyone well enough in the club to ask them. Hope I'm on that waiting list but I mightn't be, not sure if the society would have submitted a list of people waiting on them.

Have my name in for the afters tickets, not sure what chance there is of getting one either. Is it on in the Radisson again this year? I wonder if there'll be a bus going for the people with afters tickets?

its on in the strand as far as i know and there is no bus in even for people with regular tickets only a bus home

edit; iv been told connellys is offering 15% off for the ball but does anyone know what the base rate is i havnt a clue and it dosnt say on their website

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Expect to pay about €60 for a tux...I'm sticking with my trusty black suit and silver waistcoat!

Anyone nominated for awards?*

*yes, I am, I'm just trying to figure out who some people are!

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭digiking

Hi lads,

I just thought i'd shed some light on what is exactly happening for the Clubs & Societies Ball as I'm heavily involved tech wise.

As has been previously said it is taking place in "The Stand Hotel" in the city centre - used to be the hilton.

It is a formal affair - suit and tie at a minimum but on this i don't know much more.

Entertainment wise - The Hot Electric are kicking off the evenings entertainment with a jam packed set of both covers & a few of their own tunes in the mix. They recently received a warm welcome at Mary I rag week so here's hoping the same occurs here. Afterwards there will be a dj playing all the latest dance floor fillers until the early hours. I have been informed that keith Pigott is more than likely the dj of the night.

Alan

• Advertisement

digiking wrote: »
    It is a formal affair - suit and tie at a minimum but on this i don't know much more.

Indeed - That includes people attending the afters. That means no Vans etc. just shoes, black polished (would be nice) shoes, a shirt and a tie.

This is the one ball where your club or soc will generally subsidise ticket heavily, so there's no excuse. It has been relaxed from black tie to formal, though many will still wear black tie.

There are NO busses from the Stables to the Strand, you must make your own way. a 7 seater should work out at around €2/3 a piece if full. Busses will run back to UL after the event.

Reception is at 7, dinner is at 8, awards at 9 and band for 9:30/9:45.

We will attempt to keep as strictly as possible to that schedule, even if it means presenting awards while people are still eating.

Anyone who was at last year's event will know that dinner was late due to people missing busses/drinking in the Stables too late.

It promises to be a great night and I wish all nominees well.

Nominees Are
    Best Club
    • Kayak
    • Sub Aqua
    • Rowing

Best Society
    • Debating Union
    • Music Soc
    • International Soc

Best New/Improved Club
    • Dance
    • Darts, Pool and Snooker
    • GAA

Best New/Improved Society
    • International
    • Law
    • Med Soc

Best Club Event
    • Gap Trip - Skydive
    • Europe Trip - Kayak
    • Siege of Limerick - Ultimate Frisbee

Best Society Event
    • Irish Times Final - Debating Union
    • Skycon - Skynet (Computer Society)
    • Smokey Joe's Café - Drama Soc

Best Club Individual
    • Ruán Dillon McLoughlin
    • Cillian Burke
    • Keith O'Neill

Best Society Individual
    • Michael O'Connor
    • Niamh O'Donovan
    • Derek Daly

There are 2 further memorial awards which are decided by the Arts Officer and Sports Administrator in consultation with the Clubs and Societies Development Officer

The Jason Hackett Award for contribution to Clubs
    The Mike Sadlier Award for contribution to Societies

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

ninty9er wrote: »
    That means no Vans etc. just shoes, black polished (would be nice) shoes, a shirt and a tie.

This is the one ball where your club or soc will generally subsidise ticket heavily, so there's no excuse. It has been relaxed from black tie to formal, though many will still wear black tie.

Ah for jesus sake

Funkstard wrote: »
    Ah for jesus sake

I'll make no apologies for it. I did notice you already had yours, but just for the lurkers out there.

15euro to add shoes to your suit rental for one night uggghhhh

should be a class night though :D

PeakOutput wrote: »
    15euro to add shoes to your suit rental for one night uggghhhh

I've got about 3/4 pairs of black shoes if anyone needs shoes in size 10/11.

I'll do half price:pac: okay a fiver:pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

PeakOutput wrote: »
    +1 :D

Best Club
    • Sub Aqua
    Best Society
    • International Soc
    Best New/Improved Club
    • Dance
    Best New/Improved Society
    • International
    Best Club Event
    • Siege of Limerick - Ultimate Frisbee
    Best Society Event
    • Skycon - Skynet (Computer Society)
    Best Club Individual
    • Ruán Dillon McLoughlin
    Best Society Individual
    • Michael O'Connor
    Outstanding contribution to Clubs
    • Ruán Dillon McLoughlin (the guy most recogniesed for rarely wearing socks)
    Outstanding contribution to Societies
    • Derek Daly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

Congrats ninety9er! :pac:

And to congratulations to all who won obviously!

really really good night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

they all have lovely bottoms :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

well holy god

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Congrats ninety9er! And to other people who are not ninety9er.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

ninty9er wrote: »
    Outstanding contribution to Societies
    • Derek Daly

Congrats ninty9er.

How many brown envelopes did it take to win that :p

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

rmacm wrote: »
    How many brown envelopes did it take to win that :p
    If you make the first one big enough, you don't have to make another:D:pac:

Must stop channeling Stephen Colbert

Thanks people....me is muchos chuffed :D:D

I would think carefully before levelling accusations of bribery at the Arts Officer:p

I was seen carrying a brown paper bag with a card in it at one stage though, and JUST a card;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭digiking

Glad to hear everyone had a good nite...

Myself & the boys from musicsoc were there getting stage setup from about 12 - It was one long day but from what i've heard everyone was very impressed.

What did everyone make of the hot electric. It was rather though getting them set before the meal as there drummer arrived late...Hence why the first song was effectively part of the sound check!!!

Thanks to everyone in the SU, In particular Paul Lee for making this happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Congrats to the individual winners. I know a few of you and it has been a long time coming. Well done, the hard work has paid off for you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭thattequilagirl

Congrats to all and thank you, thank you, thank you to everyone involved for making it an amazing night....

Advertisement