Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thermostatic Radiator Valve Problem

Options
  • 15-03-2009 8:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭

The radiator in the kitchen last night went cold all of a sudden. I tried a few things like bleeding the rad to get the heat back but it didn't work. I checked on the net for a solution and the valve was mentioned so i took of the Thermostatic Radiator valve and the rad got hot again. When i put it back on again the rad started to cool. Is the valve faulty? Or am i putting it back on incorrectly? Any ideas on how to fix this would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Why not swop the trv controller from another rad and see how you go, it should identify whether it's faulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭denisor

Swap the head with one from another radiator, but be sure to turn it to position 5 or red, ie turn it open fully before you put it on the elbow coming from the rad, otherwise you have it reading wrong temp settings, only tighten it by hand, not with a tool, be aware typically, position 3 say is to take the room to between 18 and 21 degree, last night one or two of our thermo heads didn't heat the radiator because the mild spell we have took the rooms to that temp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

Avns1s wrote: »
    Why not swop the trv controller from another rad and see how you go, it should identify whether it's faulty.

Will give that a try. Is it common to have a faulty TRV?

Tried a different TRV with the same results, I guess its just too warm in the room already so the rad doesn't need to heat up any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭youtheman

Unscrew the TRV head from the valve then press down the spring loaded 'tit' on top of the valve (thus manually opening the valve). See if the radiator warms up. This will give you a good indication if it is the valve or the TRV head that is causing the problem.

The valve is spring loaded, fail closed (i.e. it takes positive force on top to open).

Also make sure the outlet valve on the other end of the radiator is at least partially open (if it's closed then you canot get flow through the radiator, even if the TRV is fully functional).

When I installed TRVs on some of my radiators one of them did not work. I had to remove the radiator from the wall and flush it clean. I came to the conclusion that the valve on the TRV is more lokely to clog (compared to a normal valve).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭youtheman

CORRECTION on my last post.

The TRV is fail open, so when you remove the TRV head it should open fully. So the radiator should warm up.

Still worth pressing the 'tit' a few times, it might help dislodge and gunk stuck under the seat of the valve.

If the lockshield valve is open and you're still not getting heat then it would indicate that the problem is with the valve, not the TRV head.

Took a TRV valve from another rad today just to double check. I noticed that on this particular valve the black plastic spring loaded pin was not open and was stuck up in the TRV. Should the pin be down or up? When i put the TRV with the pin stuck up in the valve the rad heated but when i put the TRV with the pin down the heat went out of the rad.I now have two TRVs and i'm not knowing which one is working.

Edit: I actually took off the TRV Head not the valve itself.

Advertisement