Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Go Fu.ck Yourself

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,174 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

rofl at mental image of Overheal parading around Dublin like the Pied Piper of Hamlyn,
    dressed like Uncle Sam with a parade of little skangers
    trooping around after him chanting, "here mister, gis the time"...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

Overheal wrote: »

I'm sorry Overheal, don't be offended.
    It's just some nonsense, dancing around inside my silly little head...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,174 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

youre a strange man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭kittensoft1984

It does seem a tad excessive.....

This reminds me of a day I left my mobile phone in the car, and asked a guy on the street , if I could use his for a minute ..............and he told me he did'nt have one on him....next thing is .. his mobile phone rings !

Next I asked a security guard outside large store .......He said '' what would I be doing with a mobile phone '' ..............I could actually see the phone in his pocket !

This was in Waterford ...by the way
    Had the opposite happen to me, We were on holiday in Cyprus and found that our phone wasn't roaming :( and one of the locals in th e bar came up and offered us his phone :) so nice for a complete stranger to lend us a phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

This was once the land of the friendly Irish (Dublin) but have we gone all modern and lost our old oirish friendlyness?

"the friendly irish" ya right:rolleyes:

we were never friendly in the first place....its a self-delusional myth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭Hackysack

That's insane. But yeah i'll admit if someone comes up to me and asks me for someone I do generally fob them off.

too many people look for money off you these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Mr.Lizard wrote: »
    FYI, in Dublin, someone coming up to you and asking for the time is usually a prelude to a mugging. OP you were very rude and insensitive. I hope you will be more considerate in future.

FFS :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ashyle

fryup wrote: »
    "the friendly irish" ya right:rolleyes:

we were never friendly in the first place....its a self-delusional myth

i'm plenty friendly to people! A man called me courteous after I served him in work today :)

btw, what does selfdelusional mean

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Biggins wrote: »
    They even come to your house.

I was (and still am - 1 left) giving away free 2 21inch monitors.
    Advertised them on an Irish recycle site during the week. Described them very well.
    Chap contacted me then to say he wanted one.
    "Fair enough, its yours for the taking".
    He turned up at the house two days ago. We went to the shed to get one and when I broke my back lifting the damn thing - he took a look at it, turned to me and said "Sod that - I don't want it" and turned and marched off without saying "hello, good bye, sod you or thanks but no thanks..."
    Nothing! He just went through my sidegate and buggered off. Leaving me and the wife standing there open mouthed with shock looking at each other!

If that wasn't bad enough, he then later went to the free site and gave out that he had spent 20 quid on petrol for a wasted journey on a monitor he didn't want!!! WTF - You'd swear I was to blame for him taking a huff!

(I had even provided him with the picture of the monitor before he came. Ya can't win!)

I just don't get what goes through the mind of people like that.

EDIT:
    Mr.Lizard wrote: »
    FYI, in Dublin, someone coming up to you and asking for the time is usually a prelude to a mugging. OP you were very rude and insensitive. I hope you will be more considerate in future.

Just sit back for a second and ask yourself, if you REALLY needed to know the time or contact someone in an emergency and you had no phone and there isn't a pay phone in sight what would you do ? Really ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

You should have replied, "Hmmm, very mentally desirable, but unfortunately physically impossible!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

This was once the land of the friendly Irish (Dublin) but have we gone all modern and lost our old oirish friendlyness?

LOL. When was this place ever nice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

Most of the Dub's I know in my office are fine... we live in a very rural area and have had nothing but trouble with the Dubs that live down there...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

To the OP - there are plenty of douchebags around, don't be getting upset by morons like that - a normal person would have given you the time.

Dunno why people are bashing Dublin so much - an older lady fell down outside my job and cut her face - I grabbed the first aid box from inside and she had like 5/6 people helping her out straight away.
    That doesn't really fit into the whole "all dubliners are boll!ckses" pidgeon hole does it?

And late last week a german fellas bike broke down and me and my neighbor spent ages trying to get him back on the road - and my neighor let him leave his bike out back so he could come back the next day and get it towed - he told us that only ever happens in Ireland - he's biked around the continent and had problems and never got much help..
    But no we're all unfriendly. pah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

The OP has one bad experience and all of a sudden we are a bunch of ignorant and rude fcukers! :rolleyes: I suppose it must be true after all we all have our racial traits, I mean come on we know all Nigerians are email scammers, the Poles are just a bunch of dole defrauding swan eaters, the Romanians do nothing but beg (them and their Roma nephews), the Brits are just waiting for a chance to invade again, that's why they keep a foothold in the north, the Americans are a bunch of ignorant dumasses a bit like the slightly slow cousin we all put up with, don't get me started on the French..................:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭justcallmetex

galwayrush wrote: »
    I find London quite friendly.

Fu(k it NYC is more friendly than Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

That is what someone said to moi today on Dame street when I asked them for the time. I just said excuse me do you have the time and the guy who seemed, by looks, normal enough just turned back to me as he was walking past and said Go fcuk yourself. :eek: By normal enough I mean they didn't look like a skanger or scumbag.

Was kind off shocked really. Has anyone else experienced that level of rudeness or dished it out?

:( Is Dublin now London mark II

Unfortunately, you probably just have a go fuck yourself kind of face.

Best invest in a watch, pronto.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭JennyAnt

Thats nothing, I was lost in Heathrow once and asked a guy for directions and his reply was: "Do I look like a talking fuck!ng map?"
    In fairness it was funny! And everyone else was friendly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Fat_Fingers

That is what someone said to moi today on Dame street when I asked them for the time. I just said excuse me do you have the time and the guy who seemed, by looks, normal enough just turned back to me as he was walking past and said Go fcuk yourself. :eek: By normal enough I mean they didn't look like a skanger or scumbag.

Was kind off shocked really. Has anyone else experienced that level of rudeness or dished it out?

To be honest i would probably told you the same thing. While back on Dame Street I was asked for the time by what looked respectable 30-something year old man , i looked at my watch and next thing i was pushed against the wall and syringe was out. I got out of it by pure luck and quick reaction. I don't stop anymore for anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

JennyAnt wrote: »
    Thats nothing, I was lost in Heathrow once and asked a guy for directions and his reply was: "Do I look like a talking fuck!ng map?"
    It wasn't Wille Walsh or Michael O Leary by any chance :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lobelia Overhill

JennyAnt wrote: »

nowadays they have people in blue t-shirts who are walking talking maps to tell you how to get to Terminal 5.

I still got lost tho'

LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭jackdaw

Wouldn't worry about it ... the guy was just an idiot ...

I wouldn't even be offended by it ... says way more about him then anything ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

Was that your sense of humour,or were you disguising your disdain with a full stop?

He was referencing the thread title, and the OP's post to make a funny. i thought it was a good funny.

As for Dubliners and friendliness: I am a culchie. I think Dubliners are less friendly than people in small villages, of course ( like any city) but probably friendlier than most Townie culchies. Particularly the midlands.

You know its true, Midlanders.

I tend to say hello to everyone I meet in a village of a certain size, generally one where you can see countryside around. When i go somewhere bigger i don't say hello, even if the circumstances are the same - two people approaching on a street with noone else around. Certainly not in a city centre, maybe in a suburb.

It is generally not done in bigger towns, or cities. Everyone does something like this, so villages will always seem more friendly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

rofl at mental image of Overheal parading around Dublin like the Pied Piper of Hamlyn,
    dressed like Uncle Sam with a parade of little skangers
    trooping around after him chanting, "here mister, gis the time"...

That got me laughing! Except my mental picture had him wearing stilts.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

I thought this being AH, the op would have been advised to stab the individual to death with a big knife.

sod it.

OP?

You should have stabbed that guy to death, before you even asked him the time, knowing full well everyone is a cunt and deserves it, especially scumbags, especially scumbags that don't look like scumbags.

I thought this being AH, the op would have been advised to stab the individual to death with a big knife.

sod it.

OP?

You should have stabbed that guy to death, before you even asked him the time, knowing full well everyone is a cunt and deserves it, especially scumbags, especially scumbags that don't look like scumbags.

....and then stole his watch !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

Its possible that this guy did not have a watch and was embarrassed. Or had never actually learned to read the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

asdasd wrote: »
    Its possible that this guy did not have a watch and was embarrassed. Or had never actually learned to read the time.

They need to do one of those reading gremlins adds on TV based on this.

Tom cant tell the time, so when individuals ask him what time it is, he can only respond "Go Fuck Yourself!"

This makes Tom very sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭shamblertine

the Brits are just waiting for a chance to invade again, that's why they keep a foothold in the north

you make it sound like the brits have a right to the north

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭AngryBadger

galwayrush wrote: »
    I find London quite friendly.

+1 found people in London MUCH friendlier than your typical irish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Maybe the guy likes using phrases instead of numbers and for him the time actually was 'go fvck yourself'

Now if only all the nasty obnoxious people would wear T shirts with 'Go fcuk yourself ' logos , we could avoid asking them for the time .

+1 found people in London MUCH friendlier than your typical irish.

True. Dublin's just a big town really. Few streets and business parks. Not exactly New York. But the people living here seem to think it is.

I think the small size means you generally have a high concentration of knackers and beggars and bums which makes the place a LOT less friendly, and so people have their guard up the whole time. I mean, how often do you go to town and not have someone coming up to you looking for something these days.

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    True. Dublin's just a big town really. Few streets and business parks. Not exactly New York. But the people living here seem to think it is.

Indeed, Stephens green seems a smaller version of Central park

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

latchyco wrote: »
    Indeed, Stephens green seems a smaller version of Central park

Yeah but does CP have swans?

Oh, it does? Right.

Ours doesn't anymore, they were all eaten... :(

consultech wrote: »
    Yeah but does CP have swans?

Oh, it does? Right.

Ours doesn't anymore, they were all eaten... :(
    Who ate the swans ? :( Last time i was in the Green there was only Mallards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

you make it sound like the brits have a right to the north

Don't take parts of my post out of context please, it's disingenuous!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭baztard

latchyco wrote: »
    Who ate the swans ? :( Last time i was in the Green there was only Mallards

The Polish, can't get enough of them... savages

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

mikemac wrote: »
    You need to get out of Dublin.

It's different in rural areas, sure everyone salutes you as you drive along or go for a walk on country roads :)

true its weirdly pyscho actually dont know if its friendly at all.. moer liek tehy are sussing you out by the way u wave/nod/flick a hand back at em... its crazy.... but yea very friendly, charles manson friendly.
    Pyr0 wrote: »
    I just don't get what goes through the mind of people like that.

EDIT:

Just sit back for a second and ask yourself, if you REALLY needed to know the time or contact someone in an emergency and you had no phone and there isn't a pay phone in sight what would you do ? Really ?

spire = sun dial?

• Advertisement

baztard wrote: »
    The Polish, can't get enough of them... savages
    Right ,next time I am in a Polish restaurant I will refuse to eat Swan of the menu :(

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭lisaface

I don't mean to be rude, but this cracked me up! Posts like these amuse me, I don't mean offence.

I have never experienced ignorance in Dublin before, and find it quite funny when people mention their experiences. Again, not trying to be rude.

Since moving to Galway, funnily enough I have experienced alot more ignorance than anywhere in Ireland and I have lived in quite a few different areas. One was asking a guy, on the other side of a road, literally willing to kill myself ,just to ask him a question of where the buses can be gotten from. He tried walking away, I wasn't having that. To the point he basically politely told me to 'f*ck off' :pac:

Another time was a friend of mine , was trying to find my place in rush hour traffic, he got out of a taxi (too expensive in R/H)
    and was asking people, he asked one woman
    "Excuse me.."
    Woman: "Nooo noo" and rushed past him :pac:

I'm rude, I laughed when he told me! - I do have this thing where, if I'm trying to gather information and somebody decides to me a c*nt to be, ie; if I was in your position, I'd have replied back with; "Well , f*ck you too :D" big cheesy smile, works wonders. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

lisaface wrote: »
    I don't mean to be rude, but this cracked me up! Posts like these amuse me, I don't mean offence.

I have never experienced ignorance in Dublin before, and find it quite funny when people mention their experiences. Again, not trying to be rude.

Since moving to Galway, funnily enough I have experienced alot more ignorance than anywhere in Ireland and I have lived in quite a few different areas. One was asking a guy, on the other side of a road, literally willing to kill myself ,just to ask him a question of where the buses can be gotten from. He tried walking away, I wasn't having that. To the point he basically politely told me to 'f*ck off' :pac:

Another time was a friend of mine , was trying to find my place in rush hour traffic, he got out of a taxi (too expensive in R/H)
    "Excuse me.."

I'm rude, I laughed when he told me! - I do have this thing where, if I'm trying to gather information and somebody decides to me a c*nt to be, ie; if I was in your position, I'd have replied back with; "Well , f*ck you too :D" big cheesy smile, works wonders. :pac:

It's because you're from Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

"Excuse me.."

Yeah well go back to Dublin if its so bad here....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭hurdehur

This thread reminds me of that great line from Road to Hell by Chris Rea. It often comes to mind when walking down a city street and seeing the somber looks on people.

And the perverted fear of violence chokes the smile on every face.

There are a few characters who would stop you for the time as a pretext to something dodgier. I am curious what you look like, OP!

Yeah well go back to Dublin if its so bad here....

So Galway isn't open to a bit of criticism from somebody who moved there? Are you the Mayor of Galway or something?

• Advertisement

So Galway isn't open to a bit of criticism from somebody who moved there?

the topic pertains to rude people in Dublin!
    Are you the Mayor of Galway or something?

No

the topic pertains to rude people in Dublin!

No

Oh heavens forbid a Dub bashing thread go off topic when people from elsewhere in the country are told a few home truths.

Oh heavens forbid a Dub bashing thread go off topic

Indeed!

"Excuse me.."

Are you a roma gypsie by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

I'm from Dublin.

A scumbag asking you the time can be a prelude for a mugging/beating. I choose if I'm going to answer at all, and when asked, I physically tense up ready to fight.
    Bloody scumbags. Had my life saved by a businessman when I was 16 on this one.

Conversation goes something like this:
    SB: Here bud have ya got the time?

Me: Yes its 12.30.

SB: What did you bleedin say?!
    What the **** are you looking at? Ya staaartiin'?!
    HEADBUTT. Bloody nose. Beat you for a bit, probably not rob anything, run away.

I love Dublin.

Just understand that there might be a reason the person responded that way. In my case I'm still polite, but I cant help thinking and preparing for the worst.

• Advertisement
Advertisement