Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lanky seedlings grown indoors

Options
  • 15-03-2009 10:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭

Hi,

Im new to gardening.

Ive planted ten differnet seeds indoors. Some appear way to lanky and thin to move. Does this happen a lot if the room is too warm? Or if they are planted too early?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

it may be that the light is poor, that will cause seedlings to grow thin and lanky

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

I would think it has more to do with lack of light.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭hedgeh0g

I got tent plastic greenhouse x 2 from lidl and will assemble tomorrow.

All seedlings are lanky, will they seedlings ever recover from this?
    Should I start again with fresh seeds?

They had daylight (1 hour per day) but it obviously wasnt enough.
    So disappointing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Some seedlings can have tips pinched off to encourage new side shoot growth.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Start over with fresh seeds if they're very lanky. Seedlings need a lot of light once they've come up - windowsills, unless they're very bright, often aren't enough. The seedlings become 'leggy' and weak and eventually they will fall over.

If you have a sunlit windowsill that can help, if not you may have to strive for growing outside under glass or plastic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭hedgeh0g

Start over with fresh seeds if they're very lanky. Seedlings need a lot of light once they've come up - windowsills, unless they're very bright, often aren't enough. The seedlings become 'leggy' and weak and eventually they will fall over.

If you have a sunlit windowsill that can help, if not you may have to strive for growing outside under glass or plastic.

Thankfully I only used half packets of most seeds.

It was great watching them grow by the french doors, we counted shoots every day.

Might get grow light bulbs next year if we want to risk in doors again.

Ok .......... here we go again.

If only we could have a greenhouse (renting at the mo, so the thoughts of moving a glass house is off putting)

Is it that difficult to move a green house?

Should we just bite the bullet and buy one?

Are green houses a real joy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Why not buy, or make, a cold frame? Unless you plan on having large numbers of seeds this would suffice, you can move it around the garden and easily bring it with you when you go.
    Both Lidl and Aldi have had them in the last few weeks or you could make one easily enough from some T+G flooring and a couple of old windows. Try a local window replacement company, they will probably be glad to get rid of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Yorky

I sowed some seedlings in a lean-to greenhouse on a heat mat and the seedling stems are weak but have foliage which is too heavy for them.

Considering the advice about the need for light which they had, why might this have happened?

Advertisement