Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Selling apartment

• 15-03-2009 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

i'm selling my apartment which i only have for 2 years as my neighbour is making my life a living hell. the noise had quietened down for about 6 months but since christmas i think she's walking around in heels and stomping around just to pi++ me off.
    i'm happy to leave as to be honest the stress is killing me and i'm not sleeping
    my advise is that if i sell my apartment can the person who i sell apartment to ever contact me about this issue?

i'm sure the noise will pi++ them off too.

tks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Poloman

Can you take legal advice?

And no I wouldnt say anything to perspective buyers otherwise you will never sell the apartment in an already hard to sell environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Moznips

i bought the apartment tru affordable housing with FCC and have written to them and to the Developers but they haven't done anything. i've had conversations with the girl living above me but i understand taht she has to live her life too. the management company don't care. to be honest i can't afford to go legal. hence selling up and cutting my loses and move in with a friend.
    i just feel guitly i'm selling the place and knwing that they'll have to deal with this too.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Poloman

There are certain places that offer free legal advice but dealing with a noisy neighbour is always tough.

I guess my answer is still no. Under no circumstances tell anyone the story, not even the estate agent. Also if possible try to arrange viewings when you think your neighbour wont be in. If perspective buyers hear any noise it will be a massive deterrent in purchasing.

If it ever came to it just say you never heard any noise. Nothing can be proved. I know you might feel sorry for anyone who buys the place but you should take the attitude its either you or them. Your life is obviously suffering so you are doing the right thing and making steps to rectify all this.

Best of luck.

tks for ur comments - i's really helped

ta

P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭catch88

This as a first time buyer is what i dread the most: buying an apartment only to find out i have annoyingly loud neighbors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

catch88 wrote: »
    This as a first time buyer is what i dread the most: buying an apartment only to find out i have annoyingly loud neighbors.

No need to buy an apartment, wait a year or so and you'll be able to buy a house fro the same price or less!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Moznips,

I've been through this, it's utter hell.

Can I ask where the development is? PM me if you like, if you want advice on how to take this further (even if you don't want to name the development) I can give it to you no worries. I know what you're going through, it is unbelievably stressful.

Can I qualify the above by asking you whether you think it's your neighbour that's being noisy or the apartment not being built to standard? Either way you do have recourse to action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Does the girl upstairs have wooden floors? These are banned for upper floors in our development unless there's very thick, depth specified, insulation under them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bobbbb

What athtrasna said.

If i were you i would cut a small hole in the plasterboard and get a hammer drill and attach it to the concrete right under her bedroom, so when its on, it vibrates the **** of the whole room upstairs. Set it on a timer to go on for about 10 seconds every half hour in the middle of the night. She wont be able to sleep waiting for it to hapen in the next 30 mins.
    Then Go off on a nice relaxing quiet 2 week holiday.
    When you come back see if she wants to have that same conversation again.

athtrasna wrote: »
    Does the girl upstairs have wooden floors? These are banned for upper floors in our development unless there's very thick, depth specified, insulation under them.

An awful lot of developments have the same clause in them re wooden floors. Basically the clause should stipulate that an apartment owner cannot put down any floor covering that could cause a nuisance to their neighbour. Check your lease and see is such a clause there if it is then the Management Co (not the Agent) have a legal obligation to you to ensure that all the rules in the lease that you have signed are being adhered to. If rules are not being adhered to then the Management Co MUST deal with it on your behalf and the other owner has no choice but to replace their nuisance floor coverings with coverings that do not cause a nuisance to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Westwood

Moznips wrote: »
    hence selling up and cutting my loses and move in with a friend.
    i just feel guitly i'm selling the place and knwing that they'll have to deal with this too.

dont feel guilty because....you'll never sell it. nobody is buying anything and they certainly aint buying apartments. move in with friend now and try and rent and get your tenant to deal with it. or soundproof the ceiling and get on with it.

An awful lot of developments have the same clause in them re wooden floors. Basically the clause should stipulate that an apartment owner cannot put down any floor covering that could cause a nuisance to their neighbour. Check your lease and see is such a clause there if it is then the Management Co (not the Agent) have a legal obligation to you to ensure that all the rules in the lease that you have signed are being adhered to. If rules are not being adhered to then the Management Co MUST deal with it on your behalf and the other owner has no choice but to replace their nuisance floor coverings with coverings that do not cause a nuisance to you.

yes she has wooden floors.
    i put down tiles in my place (all over) and we tend to wear runners or slippers in the apartment
    we were advised not to put down wooden floors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Advised or are they specifically banned in your lease? They are in ours which gives cause for legal recourse if someone put down wooden floors that caused problems like you are experiencing.

athtrasna wrote: »
    Advised or are they specifically banned in your lease? They are in ours which gives cause for legal recourse if someone put down wooden floors that caused problems like you are experiencing.

Most apartments built in last ten years have this clause in by default.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

bobbbb wrote: »
    What athtrasna said.

If i were you i would cut a small hole in the plasterboard and get a hammer drill and attach it to the concrete right under her bedroom, so when its on, it vibrates the **** of the whole room upstairs. Set it on a timer to go on for about 10 seconds every half hour in the middle of the night. She wont be able to sleep waiting for it to hapen in the next 30 mins.
    Then Go off on a nice relaxing quiet 2 week holiday.
    When you come back see if she wants to have that same conversation again.

I would do something similar.

Rude people, unfortunately, only understand aggression.

Advertisement