Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dentist Phobia and injection free procedures

• 15-03-2009 10:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭

Basically even thinking about the dentist freaks me out, heart rate increases, panic etc etc, (first dentist thought I was having a reaction to the anastisha(i can not spell))i need another three fillings done but after the first one i just can't handle the numbness and injections. The drilling I strangely found kinda soothing but its just the needles.

Does anyone know of any coping techniques or if any dentist would do a filling without anastetic.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Drodan wrote: »
    Basically even thinking about the dentist freaks me out, heart rate increases, panic etc etc, (first dentist thought I was having a reaction to the anastisha(i can not spell))i need another three fillings done but after the first one i just can't handle the numbness and injections. The drilling I strangely found kinda soothing but its just the needles.

Does anyone know of any coping techniques or if any dentist would do a filling without anastetic.

Yes, you can have a filling without anaesthesia. It will just hurt quite a bit. When you've had the injection you can just feel the vibrations of the drill - without it the nerves in your teeth respond to pain.

If getting an injection is so terrifying for you then it might be best for you to be in physical pain instead. I would discuss with the dentist to see what he is willing to do injection wise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Zakalwe

If you have a severe phobia of dentists, talk to the dentist. It's not uncommon. A friend of mine gets a prescription for valium or something in order to calm him down.

About reacting to the anesthesia, you may well have done exactly that. Standard anesthesia contains adrenalin as it helps to keep the injection working longer. The adrenalin can cause rapid heartbeat, shakiness, upset stomach etc.

Go to your dentist, get something to relax and perhaps ask for an injection with no adrenalin.

Advertisement