Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem With Hens

Options
  • 15-03-2009 10:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

Hey. We have two hens and could possibly be getting a couple more. We have acres of fields around our house. But the problem is that the hens always stay near the house and dont go off wandering around. Which makes just outside our back door covered in....well you know. So does anyone have any ideas as to how to make the hens go wandering somewhere away from the house??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

They might feel secure nearer the house, perhaps providing a little area away from the house for them to scratch around in like covering a small patch of ground with woodchips or something like that (I think woodchips are safe but double check). Where abouts is the hen house itself would moving it to another area work?

In the meen (mean? never sure of that spelling) there's a great products called 'Poop Off' it's not that cheap but it works brilliant at dissolving bird poop and is very safe to use around birds.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Wolfsberg

They might feel secure nearer the house, perhaps providing a little area away from the house for them to scratch around in like covering a small patch of ground with woodchips or something like that (I think woodchips are safe but double check). Where abouts is the hen house itself would moving it to another area work?

In the meen (mean? never sure of that spelling) there's a great products called 'Poop Off' it's not that cheap but it works brilliant at dissolving bird poop and is very safe to use around birds.
    What is meen/ mean.? I'd be very interesting in getting some of that product

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 gobbles

Thanks il probelly think about getting that product. And il give that method you gave me a try tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

Often have a similar problem. Our hen house is a good way away from our house & right next to the field, complete with a small chicken-sized gate for them yet they still, given the chance, will come up to the house. My hens seem to like to rootle around in the flower beds which is a pain, especially at this time of year, as they eat all the new growth on the plants. They also like to keep an eye on who is coming & going, so that they don't miss out on scraps or tasty treats. We have put up fencing to keep them in - just a simple, low timber picket type fence which works fine unless someone leaves a gate open!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 ndolan

Hi Gobbles,
    If you are thinking about more chickens why not get a rooster?
    We have 4 and could do with rehoming a couple of them.
    Let me know if interested

• Advertisement
Advertisement