Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would i be better off on UPC?

Options
  • 15-03-2009 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭

Im currently with BT on the 24mb package, Im only recieving 8mb as im so far from the terminal which is the bare minimum thats acceptable, Im really annoyed about it cos i just switched and as far as im aware im not aloud leave for 12months!

Anyways i was just wondering if i were to take the UPC 20mb package would there be a chance of a better speed? Im not to sure if BT and UPC run off the same network cables?

Comments

UPC has a standalone network, Comes in from the Coax cable from the point on the wall same as your cable tv.

It is a good choice if you have bad phone lines or are hindered by the distance limitations on ADSL.

My area was upgraded over a year ago by UPC an i hit 20Mb 95% of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Might call and ask so! Do you have to pay line rental?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Acoustic

no because its not on a phone line

regarding ur own broadband , id cancel direct debit or however u pay for it , no pay id pay for a 20mb service and only getting 8 no matter what they say

im on 7mb eircom and only getting 3mb speeds , called them told them to cancel it all together and they kept it at 3mb price

Nope no line rental, thats a big selling point for UPC.

It is Cable Broadband rather than DSL, works well for me as the rain messes up my phone lines and would always have an adverse effect on my old eircom BB.

Just went to UPC.ie and they dont supply it in my area... Im shocked as im probably in one of the most high density suburbs of Cork!

Im pissed off now!:(

• Advertisement

Yep it seems to be a bit sparce.

I have a mate who lives in Dublin 1 (city centre) and cant get it for a few months yet.

Called UPC there and they said it is actually available in my area.

Is there anyway of checking what speed i will roughly get because i dont wanna go through the hassle of switching again and finding i only get a 1mb better connection... Will i get the full or nearly full 20mb if i subscribe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

think anywhere upc offer bb its up to 20 meg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭tazire

wat are pings like on upc? curious as i mostly use the line for playin games? also is there a fair usage policy as im currently being ****ed up the arse by bt throttling atm! and its not nice.....

I have 4 - 5 MS Pings, am always the Host on cod4 on 360.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭tazire

rofl cisk if ur the host that means ur the server hence ur more on lan than internet. doesnt really answer my question.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

tazire wrote: »
    wat are pings like on upc? curious as i mostly use the line for playin games? also is there a fair usage policy as im currently being ****ed up the arse by bt throttling atm! and its not nice.....
    I run a Battlefield 2 server based in london and i get steady 32-33 pings to it.
    The pings are lower in most cases to the uk from what i can see.Fu*k knows what way Upc's traffic is routed but hey it suits me.

Advertisement