Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gap (Dundrum)

• 15-03-2009 10:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭

From Today's Tribune:

American fashion retailer Gap is to open its first standalone shop in Ireland in the Dundrum Town Centre in Dublin. The 8,000 square-foot store will open in May and will stock the women's, men's, GapKids and BabyGap collections.

Gap currently trades from a concession in Arnotts at Henry Street but has been scouting for other locations.

"Our customers have expressed a great deal of interest in us bringing the brand here. This is an exciting step for Gap in Ireland," said Stephen Sunnucks of Gap.

I'm delighted. Get a lot of my basics in Gap. Just wondering where they're gonna open though? 8,000 sq foot is a big enough shop. Can't think of any vacant spaces that big in the centre at the mo. It seems almost fully let.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭artnotort

they signed the day before yesterday. cant wait. get to train in all new staff. woo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭compsys

I know a while ago there was talk that Gap might take up some of the space previously occupied by the Habitat builidng in town. Do you know if that's still going ahead? I know a restaurant is scheduled to open there also but I read that the part of the building that fronts onto Sussex Street would be kept for retail.

as far as were told they had a few places in mind
    now that theyve signed the lease in dundrum we wont be going anywhere else soon

Cheers. Do you know where in the centre they're opening though?

mangos old spot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

Woo Hoo - This is such good news!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Have there been any advertisements for jobs there yet?

Also, where exactly was/is Mango?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭Eerie

I love Gap - but it's soooo expensive here! The one in Arnotts is ridiculous - i'll still be waiting for my trips to the USA/Canada for Gap shopping but I may stand in the one in Dundrum and dream!!!

Aard wrote: »
    Have there been any advertisements for jobs there yet?

Also, where exactly was/is Mango?

hand in a cv to the arnotts one and tell them its for the new dundrum store.

Eerie wrote: »
    I love Gap - but it's soooo expensive here! The one in Arnotts is ridiculous - i'll still be waiting for my trips to the USA/Canada for Gap shopping but I may stand in the one in Dundrum and dream!!!

You sure? I was in San Fran in Sep and Las Vegas in February. Went into GAP for a good browse both times. Have to say, at current exchange rates (around $1.25) and once you add on the 7-10% sales tax at the till, I really didn't see a huge price differene. What I did notice though was that most of the clothes in the American stores are MUCK. The sizing's different (less fitted), the range is different (more casual) and the quality of the clothing is less superior. Tried on a GAP hoody in Las Vegas and it seemed so thin and 'flimsey'. Comparable to something you might get in Penney's for example. Has anyone else noticed this?
    I think you forget as well Eerie that most GAP clothing is 100% cotton, wool or cashmere, or a mix. A lot of similar tops that you see for cheaper in places like Topman/Topshop, Penney's etc are all mixed with man made sh*te.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Whoop de doo. GAP sell the most incredibly boring, dull clothes I have ever seen.

And they are not particularly good quality either, given their ridiculous prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

compsys wrote: »
    You sure? I was in San Fran in Sep and Las Vegas in February. Went into GAP for a good browse both times. Have to say, at current exchange rates (around $1.25) and once you add on the 7-10% sales tax at the till, I really didn't see a huge price differene. What I did notice though was that most of the clothes in the American stores are MUCK. The sizing's different (less fitted), the range is different (more casual) and the quality of the clothing is less superior. Tried on a GAP hoody in Las Vegas and it seemed so thin and 'flimsey'. Comparable to something you might get in Penney's for example. Has anyone else noticed this?
    I think you forget as well Eerie that most GAP clothing is 100% cotton, wool or cashmere, or a mix. A lot of similar tops that you see for cheaper in places like Topman/Topshop, Penney's etc are all mixed with man made sh*te.
    Can't say I agree with everything, I bought two GAP hoodies in the Jersey Gardens outlet centre and they weren't thin or flimsy. They were also far, far cheaper than anywhere else I've seen them ($14 each). I also bought a pair of cords in a regular gap store in NY, near Macy's and a year later they are still fine. These were also cheaper at $40, including sales tax). I'm not a fan of GAP and don't buy a lot of their stuff but I've also been in GAP in London and Cambridge and don't find the quality over here to be any better than NY or NJ (that's not saying much btw).
    eth0_ wrote: »
    Whoop de doo. GAP sell the most incredibly boring, dull clothes I have ever seen.

And they are not particularly good quality either, given their ridiculous prices.
    Agreed ;) GAP is just another store, no better than Topman imo. As for A&F, don't get me started :D

Mango was on level 2 past Karen Millen and French Connection on the left but there is no way that was an 8000sq foot store?

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Can't say I agree with everything, I bought two GAP hoodies in the Jersey Gardens outlet centre and they weren't thin or flimsy. They were also far, far cheaper than anywhere else I've seen them ($14 each). I also bought a pair of cords in a regular gap store in NY, near Macy's and a year later they are still fine. These were also cheaper at $40, including sales tax). I'm not a fan of GAP and don't buy a lot of their stuff but I've also been in GAP in London and Cambridge and don't find the quality over here to be any better than NY or NJ (that's not saying much btw).

Agreed ;) GAP is just another store, no better than Topman imo. As for A&F, don't get me started :D

Well I wasn't really referring to the outlet stores which obviously sell clothes at a discounted price. I dunno, I buy a lot of sweaters in GAP. €36 here, $39 there plus sales tax and not as nice. Again, I really did feel the quality wasn't as good. Then again, I'm majorly fussy about quality and it's something I pay a lot of attention to.
    Agreed, GAP isn't anything special but as there are so few stores in Ireland (this will be what, the second?) it has a novelty factor. It was the same when H&M, ZARA and TOPMAN all first opened here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Wahey! Just read on the Dundrum website that GAP opens in May!

tinkerbell wrote: »
    Wahey! Just read on the Dundrum website that GAP opens in May!

Um, yes, hence the title of the thread: Gap (Dundrum).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

I'm probably still just going to order all my GAP things over the net. Glad to hear though that they are opening a store in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭baileyjackson

One in Cork opening soon.

I find their clothes to be of waaay better quality then topman, and their sales are pretty decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Seillejet

compsys wrote: »

I endorse this. Most of the stuff falls to pieces after a few washes that you get in the states. Not durbale at all in my experience.

Advertisement