Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAMBAS AL PIL-PIL recipe please

• 15-03-2009 10:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭

anyone have a recipe for this dish, ive had it in a couple of restaurants but have never made it, and I cant find a recipe on it on my usual recipe sites.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Baybay

Delia Smith has a recipe in her how to cheat book. I'm not at home just now so can't write it here for you but it may be available online.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

How do you cheat in making Gambas Pil Pil?:confused:

Take butter and heat.
    Add garlic and chilli.
    Add raw prawns.

If that can be shortened I would be very surprised.

Minder wrote: »
    How do you cheat in making Gambas Pil Pil?:confused:

I didn't say it was necessary/desirable/recommended or anything else.

All I did was answer the Op's request as to where a recipe might be found.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Baybay wrote: »
    I didn't say it was necessary/desirable/recommended or anything else.

You didn't, but Delia does - the book is called How to Cheat at Cooking. If you have the book, post the recipe. I would be interested to read it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭foodaholic

I would appreciate it, having a dinner party on sat and plan to have it as one of my starters. Thanks in advance

• Advertisement

I'm not at home for the next few days, which is where the book is, but I'll try to post before Saturday.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Minder wrote: »
    You didn't, but Delia does - the book is called How to Cheat at Cooking. If you have the book, post the recipe. I would be interested to read it.

I've had a look and I think the cheats that Delia is going for in this book are a lot more to do with time saving or convenience, perhaps by using items from the freezer or buying ready prepared components for recipes, than it has to do with cheating on the recipes themselves.

The gambas pil pil is made from the ingredients as listed in your earlier post so, yes, it might seem a little difficult to see how to cheat on it.

However, the prawns are frozen and the chillies come in jars so I guess it could be a "store cupboard" dish if ingredients have not been freshly bought. And that is, I believe, the cheat.

I won't post the cooking instructions as that seems to have been covered by the previous post and Delia seems to concur with the cooking methods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭foodaholic

thanks for that.
    Made it last night, really tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Ali07

Much better if you use olive oil instead of butter and add a bit of chopped parsley at the end. MMMMMM Yummmyyyy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭rocknchef

• 1 kg (2 lb) fresh prawns (shrimp)
    • 6 or 8 cloves garlic, finely chopped
    • red chilli to taste
    • olive oil, for cooking
    Pre-heat the oven to 250°C You can leave the heads on the prawns or take them off, it’s up to you, but do peel them and leave the tails on. Carefully pull out the vein, starting at the head end.
    Take four individual ovenproof dishes and put about 1cm (½ inch) of oil in each one.

Divide the chopped garlic and chilli beween them also and put them in the oven for 10 minutes or until they’re sizzling hot.
    Remove from the oven and divvy up the prawns into the four pots. Put back into the oven for another 5 minutes or so until the prawns are nicely pink and cooked.
    Serve immediately, straight from the oven, while they’re still sizzling. Don’t forget to mop up all that hot, garlicky oil with some fresh bread.

Advertisement