Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Ladies Lounge = Can we have your thoughts please!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭valery

shellyboo wrote: »
    It's not. It's a male-dominated forum where the male point of view prevails. Women are allowed but only if they make rasher sambos. Isn't that in the charter? The point is, there are other forums on boards that are rife with sexism. Are we going in there demanding change? No. We either go along with it, or stay out of the forum. So why are the men coming in here doing it to us?

The reason people thanked Jazzy's post was because it made reference to the posters who are simply in here for "a brush of side-boob" as he so aptly put it.

Yes, we want less BOYS. We want less immature posting, stirring, sexism for the craic, trolling and nonsense. We want to be able to discuss things as women and not have to fcuking defend ourselves and our right to do so at every single fcuking turn.

And now, the hornet's nest has been poked and we're having to defend ourselves, and our forum, ALL OVER AGAIN. Didn't we *just* do this? Didn't we all give our input? Didn't we establish that the undercurrent of sleaze was putting women off coming in here, never mind posting?

Changes were made, and they were bloody brilliant ones. The moderation is fantastic, the balance is bang on. Women feel more welcome and more free. There are more threads, they're going better places than they used to. The forum is brilliant at the minute.

Can we not just be allowed to fcuking enjoy that? I for one am eternally sick of this constant battle we have to have simply to have a women's forum.

Tantrum over.

I wish it had gone on for reams !!!!!!! Best post i have read in ages, fair play to you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Vegeta, it's just a bit like going onto the Soccer forum and complaining that GAA fans aren't getting a fair shake. That's not the point of the Soccer forum, why would they accommodate GAA fans more than necessary? The point of tLL is not to cater for men, it's to cater to women. Sexist, yes... but so is AH, and Motors, and BGRH. Are we going in there crying? No.

Am I don't really know why that's addressed to me. I think tLL should definitely cater for women and I don't care that it isn't aimed at men of specifically cater for them, in-fact I think it should be women only OR access by request so popular lads can still post away.

I just don't think the Mods should take sex into account when making any decisions. That's my only complaint. That's it.

I thought it was suggested otherwise earlier but it seems I was mistaken.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Hagar wrote: »
    As the risk of sounding like a smart-arse if it's that ahrd to tell, how do know it guys who are disrupting the forum? You can tell up to a point,it shouldn't be too hard to spot interlopers.

Your suggestion was a blanket access for all ladies of boards. How would that ever work?

TBH there's plenty of posters in tLL that I have no idea if they're male or female. I haven't been researching them to see as it doesnt matter to me what sex they are. My guesses have been proven wrong on many occasions and I've seen that happening regularly across boards where someone says 'oh I always thought they were male/female'.

From what I've seen of the disruptive guys, they usually tend to admit they're male or they make it more obvious by being sleazy. If a woman wants to post and pretend to be a sleazy guy then she should equally be shown the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

The lads were perfectly happy with the way the forum is being run before this thread got dragged from the deep by whoever it was. These issues have already been resolved. Everyone's happy. What are we arguing about?!

Exactly! round and round the merry-go-round we go.....

Can you not just LEAVE BRITNEY ALONE!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

This is all very simple

The Ladies wanted a forum that they could control the direction and content of because they were under represented on Boards. They duly got said forum

The Ladies (and Wibbs) can run the place as they damn well please in line with what the majority of the posters want and in keeping with the initial aim of the forum

The revamp based on this feedback thread some months back has turned the place around and it is thriving and people are happy with it so keep up the good work people

The digging up of this thread today and the general narkyness of people on Boards today makes me think there is something weird going on, I am blaming the eclipse of the moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I blame the lack of an apostrophe in the title.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

I blame the Parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭SeekUp

I had quoted all of these posts that had come up since the last time I opened the thread, and was all prepared to talk about why I liked having men in here, and how I don't have a problem with the forum, and how a women/registration only would be silly, and how this thread has gotten bogged down in semantics with all of the 'this person said this' and 'that means that we're not welcome' and blah blah blah . . . when in actuality, both men and women do a great job of contributing to the forum, and the mods do a great job pulling out (both male and female) weeds from the forum while allowing the rest to flourish.

And then I find out that we've thrown our hands in the air and agreed that things are cool and cursed the person who resurrected this thread in the first place.

I think I need coffee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I think most of us are happy with the place at the moment. Is there still need for this thread to be in announcements?

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Jesus Christ, talk about drama llamas!:pac:
    TLL Mods asked for input months and months ago, the forum was amended in line with the feedback to this request, I really don't see what has changed from then till now to cause this upset.
    TBH I think this thread should be locked, it served its purpose as it was originally intended, if people have an issue with Mods decisions or feedback for the fourm, should it not be addressed in the Feedback Forum???
    If anyone can remember the whole original KYLL's thread, they may remember how it degenerated "Oh U is HAWTZ" comments and really needed to be addressed (as it was very well) if comments do make loungers uncomfortable, then they do need to be addressed, and quickly so as to not ostracize the regular posters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

I think tLL is fine as it is. Though I am saying that knowing that my opinion counts for less, what with me being a boy and all.*

*This isn't a petulant display of passive aggression by the way, otherwise I would've capped that sentence using the rolleyes smiley.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

nedtheshed wrote: »
    Care to elaborate for my benefit then?
    Im at a loss as to why you,as a bloke,would take acception to blokes replying to threads on this forum.If you were female,and didnt post here because men do,then I could see exactly where you would be coming from.You obviously read all the treads here to know that men reply but dont respond yourself.

Its ok to look through the letter box but dont ring the doorbell is it?

And to imply that the men that post here are using TLL as a way to get their jollies says a helluva lot more about you than about any of the men that post here.

no, as i dont believe you have the depth of understanding to get what im saying.

i just dont really see the need to post here as a boy. hence why i barely do it. sometimes someone on irc will link me to a thread or something like that and bang on, 3rd or 4th post its some bloke "male point of view here ladies" and its some thread about kinky underwear or something. why did you click on that thread? why are you in a ladies forum anyway? surely it is of no use to you really?
    at the end of the day, men are horny mutha fucka's and 99% of the time there is a hidden agenda. disagree? well its your opinion vs. mother nature
    sure, there is good male posters here but at that id say you could count the amount on both hands. the rest is just paramount to spam posting

Jazzy wrote: »
    no, as i dont believe you have the depth of understanding to get what im saying.

I think I might. Humour me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

i just dont really see the need to post here as a boy. hence why i barely do it. sometimes someone on irc will link me to a thread or something like that and bang on, 3rd or 4th post its some bloke "male point of view here ladies" and its some thread about kinky underwear or something. why did you click on that thread? why are you in a ladies forum anyway? surely it is of no use to you really?
    at the end of the day, men are horny mutha fucka's and 99% of the time there is a hidden agenda. disagree? well its your opinion vs. mother nature
    sure, there is good male posters here but at that id say you could count the amount on both hands. the rest is just paramount to spam posting

I dont have the depth of understanding?Petty insults now eh?.:)

The reason Ive posted up to now in TLL is because it is the ONLY forum on boards where you can get an intelligent conversation about alot of things in life.For example,the thread on Facebook ex's,where could you possibly get a thread like that anywhere else but here.AH?How long would it take for someone in that forum to reply with <insert generic comment about your ma or dead celebrities here> or something to that effect.
    Im hopeful that the proposed mens forum that will be run in a similar vein to TLL gets off the ground and that people that enjoy some intelligent banter or some light hearted banter can go to get it without having to put up with BS.

Im not debating the fact that alot of blokes would have a nefarious agenda but to proclaim that 99% of men have is fcuking ridiculous.

Thats the same thing as saying - you are African American and from South Central,1 of you will go to college,the other 99 of you will become drug dealing gangsters.

Massive sweeping generalisation?

The regular male posters here have never been anything but respectful,sure there have been some blokes that have posted sh1te in the past but the mods dealt with them swiftly and in the same manner every other person that acts the bollix on other forums is dealt with.

As Ive said already,it speaks volumes about you more than the regular male posters on here if you think that grown men and women cannot interact without something sinister in the offing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

I think something like hotseating could work well in The Ladies' Lounge.

I know they have something like it in the tattoo and piercing forum; People nominate one person, ask them questions about themselves in order to get to know them better and the person in the hotseat chooses another person to replace them, when their questions period is over.

It might be something Ladies' Lounge users might be interested in!

nedtheshed wrote: »
    Petty insults now eh?.:)

As Ive said already,it speaks volumes about you more than the regular male posters on here if you think that grown men and women cannot interact without something sinister in the offing.

thats why you dont have that depth of understanding.

the company of girls is brilliant. 3 or my best friends are girls and id generally talk to them before anyone else. i wouldnt follow them to the bathroom though. (that khannie is wat i mean)

Jazzy, have you read much of this forum?

A lot of the topics are very general and non exclusive to women, even if many are about the female perspective on things.

the company of girls is brilliant. 3 or my best friends are girls and id generally talk to them before anyone else. i wouldnt follow them to the bathroom though. (that khannie is wat i mean)

To be fair, you're dodging a bit and even if you feel the guy doesn't have the depth of understanding, it's fairly rude to put it that way. Anyway, are you seriously implying that a male posting / reading here is equivalent to following a woman into the toilets?

I like the company of women too. Always have and always will. There's nowhere else on boards like this forum. If I felt I wasn't welcome here (like I wouldn't be welcome in the womens jacks) I'd leave and not come back, but that's not the case. There are lads who come here for a perv, or to try to chat up the ladies or whatever, but I think they're a minority and more or less just ignored.

edit: I agree with you on one thing though....some of the threads are just not relevant to me and there's no way I could meaningfully contribute to them so I don't bother my hole opening them. exfoliation etc. for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Maddison

I love the ladies lounge, and I like the way the guys that post here are able to post freely, with the exception of one goon that was duely banned on our walking thread I have found the lads in tLL to be a friendly lot that dont behave all pervy(unless invited to of course). I like to hear mens perspectives on relationships. My OH at home wouldnt be the talkative type so I like to hear from the lads here.

• Advertisement

Khannie wrote: »
    I agree with you on one thing though....some of the threads are just not relevant to me and there's no way I could meaningfully contribute to them so I don't bother my hole opening them. exfoliation etc. for example.
    I was bored once and read through a whole thread on Mooncups.

Interesting stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Im really loving your delightfully condescending,but ultimately unsubstantial posts.

Following a female into the bathroom is the same as posting on here?

How is that even close to being the same?

Ive already stated why I post on here.I like the vibe of the forum and that speaks volumes for the way the forum is run and for the contributors,female and male.

If this forum was solely for female health issues for example,then I wouldnt even dream of posting here.Its the same as the pregnancy forum,Ive never been on it and probably never will because I have nothing to add to it so why would I bother?

Its not though,yes,there are threads that I would view as been off limits so I dont read or post in them but likewise there are threads that I do have an opinion on and I enjoy adding to them.Like I do on any of the other forums on boards.

Khannie wrote: »
    To be fair, you're dodging a bit and even if you feel the guy doesn't have the depth of understanding, it's fairly rude to put it that way.

its pretty rude of him to tell me "And to imply that the men that post here are using TLL as a way to get their jollies says a helluva lot more about you than about any of the men that post here."
    but c'est la vie. at least from his last post i was able to prove his lack of depth and understanding. he probably still doesnt get it though.

Khannie wrote:
    Anyway, are you seriously implying that a male posting / reading here is equivalent to following a woman into the toilets?

pretty much.
    i for one have no business going to the ladies toilets unless its to get jiggy with a lovely lassie. at least, thats the only time ive been in one ^^

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

i can only properly respond now, ive a laptop infront of me with copy and paste instead of a mobile :P

Disclaimer: This isnt a filthy male attack, so please dont start jumping at me. its a filthy male defense :D
    Vegeta, it's just a bit like going onto the Soccer forum and complaining that GAA fans aren't getting a fair shake. That's not the point of the Soccer forum, why would they accommodate GAA fans more than necessary? The point of tLL is not to cater for men, it's to cater to women. Sexist, yes... but so is AH, and Motors, and BGRH. Are we going in there crying? No.
    Not so familiar with motors so i wont bother commenting, but bgrh isnt sexist.
    Theres a type of humor that takes the piss out of things ironically that they love there.
    Its like one of my gay friends in college making a gay joke.
    It's not. It's a male-dominated forum where the male point of view prevails.1 Women are allowed but only if they make rasher sambos. Isn't that in the charter?2 The point is, there are other forums on boards that are rife with sexism.3 Are we going in there demanding change?4 No. We either go along with it, or stay out of the forum. So why are the men coming in here doing it to us?

Seriously, Shelly, im sorry but wtf? you cant be familiar with the group if you are stating that.

Be aware ... this is a social forum - not the Real World. boards.ie sitewide rules apply here.
    pretty clear.

If you have no sense of humour, or a fragile ego, or take yourself very seriously, you may not enjoy this forum.
    Truth is - very few people are not welcome here.
    This applies to my point about women being in BGRH.
    heres the ironic joke in the charter as i see it. Yes the next line jokes about the "wimmins" but you'll be hard pushed to find a social group that are more protective and nice to the women when it counts. any other time its a joke.

its really not sexist.

i wouldnt recommend it, because if people are claiming BGRH is a real chauvinistic forum to be taken seriously as opposed to a social forum that likes to take the piss, then they'd be laughed out of the place.
    actually they wouldnt, im sure some of the kind folk over there, men or women, would try and explain it.

Im not attacking you because youre a woman or whatever. im not attacking you at all. but if youre going to make claims like that against a group of people on Boards.ie, you should do your homework. i dont think its fair, and people that dont know better may believe whats been said and see the BGRH crew as some sort of monsters or something. And we all know the Nocs are the monsters of boards.

As for feedback, this thread should just be locked and shot into space, its not doing anything useful at all.

pretty much.

It's not, IMO anyway. Like I said and others have agreed; I'm welcome here. If I felt I wasn't welcome I'd get the fup out and not come back. I'm sure as hell not welcome in the ladies toilets. Like I said, I don't bother my hole reading stuff that obviously doesn't apply to me (or that I've no experience with).
    at least, thats the only time ive been in one ^^

Classy. :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I have to agree re BGRH on all of Nerins points. It is what it is and it's a very welcoming bunch for both men and women. I would even say it's one of the least sexist bunch I've met on boards.

As for your suggestion re what should be done with this feedback thread? Duly noted but please leave that up to the mods here to decide.

Mod hat on
    Jazzy and nedtheshed, I suggest you both pull out of this thread and take a break.

Jazzy if you don't want to post here, don't understand why other men may (or apparently compare it to following women into the toilets :confused:), then simply stop posting here. I'll be only to happy to oblige you if I even sniff any stirring from your direction.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »

Jazzy if you don't want to post here, don't understand why other men may (or apparently compare it to following women into the toilets :confused:), then simply stop posting here. I'll be only to happy to oblige you if I even sniff any stirring from your direction.

i dont post here anyway though. maybe once or twice or something or on something i was linked to but thats it. aside from that, i was making a point. and a pretty valid one at that.
    and on the whole bathroom thing, what i was trying to say was essentially 'private space' that boys shouldnt have much interest in anyway. im also asking why someone would be interested, and my result to that question is nature. nature always wins :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭valery

Any way this thread can be stopped......please. really getting on me tits the way you (good) people are going at one another , come on folks ..huh ? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    Your comment came across as saying while men could post here if they like, that their opinions weren't really as valid as women's.

As a bloke I would say that to the target audience of the forum, they aren't as valid unless the women reading it find them to be.

Seriously lads don't get your knickers in a twist it's a women's forum lads, seriously the hint is in the title and in the charter. As we all have a habit of saying in feedback Boards isn't a democracy and if you don't like it well you can lump it.

The inital comment that set all this off was that there should be less men, now unless I've turned thick (and feck off with your smart comment :P) less doesn't mean none it means a an amount that is less then what there is now. There is actually quite an important difference and one that can determine the future of a forum. If it isn't restrained then as such the actual point of the forum will just be diluted until there is no point at all to it and it is yet just another social forum on boards with no real point.

As for making it private, I don't think it should be as I think boards needs a public female forum which females can easily find because if it is a private forum women won't be able to find it. If a seperate private forum was to run hand in hand then grand but a public outlet still needs to be present.

Truthfully I think there is a good bit of male poster posting what they think women want them to say so that they can look good as oppose to saying what they really think and I think that is actually probably something that needs to be cracked down on as oppose to. But I also think that some of the men here need to grow a set and stop playing the defensless man card

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

oh dear lord. Not this again. I gotta say, there seem to be only a handful of posters in here making a helluva lot of sense! Basically, tLL used to be good. I started off my posting in here and then it just went downhill. Boom, boom, boom.... down. And I've expressed this to many of the mods and posters too.

TLL used to be a good spot to hang out for the girls. And it used to be good to get the odd bit of feed back from teh boys. Heck, it's even lovely to see you lot post up your pretty little head in the know your loungers thread :P but one thing has happened here and the following are my own points and observations:

I got extremely fed up of men posting in threads about the pill. why? seriously? ok so you might have to live with the mood swings. whoop-di-fúcking-doo because so do we. We also have to live with the fact that we bleed out of our vajayjays one week on average ot of 4. thats a mudder fúcking lot of blood. oh, we also have the pleasure of the pain. the pain of it. Boys, try imagine someone twisting your balls with a pliers? no you cant. But thats what it feels like is happening to our ovaries!!! Why were there men posting in the breast augmentation thread? why? a guy posted something like this ''hey I'm a dude but I know some stuff about this'' and then another guy quoted and replied ''yeah I agree with him too'' clearly he is a 'dude' too!! like FFS??? seriously??? Waxing and shít. we have bikini lines, underarms and legs t look after.

I could go on and on but I wont. I've been here before. I've said it all.

Keep the boys. Let them sniff around. Just have a bit of cop on lads!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement