Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Empire total war bugs and crashes

Options
  • 16-03-2009 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭

Anyone else experiencing these i feel very let down that the product was released with so many , The one thats bothering me at the moment is i have a fleet in the bahamas that i cant click on without crashing the game!!!!
    Anyone else experincing very laggy times when you click on a fleet or when its going through the different faction turns !!! I have a top of the range rig and it gets laggy at times always on campaign map , never during a battle

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

There's a very long post about this in the strategy forum, check it out.

I havnt had any issues like that at all. No crashes yet for me .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Ardscoil Ris

It still isn't as bad as RTW or MTW2 when they were released. MTW2 was unplayable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Yep, two games just stopped working, one at 1725 the other at 1752.

Hoping for a patch soon enough, tis a great game.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

It still isn't as bad as RTW or MTW2 when they were released. MTW2 was unplayable.

Oh it's much, much worse.

• Advertisement

Oh it's much, much worse.

How so?

When MTW2 was released it didn't work. :( At least you can play ETW.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

i've had it freeze a few times during naval battles. really annoying since it happened twice towards the end of the same big battle and i was winning both times....thank god for quicksave.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Anyone else experiencing these i feel very let down that the product was released with so many , The one thats bothering me at the moment is i have a fleet in the bahamas that i cant click on without crashing the game!!!!
    Anyone else experincing very laggy times when you click on a fleet or when its going through the different faction turns !!! I have a top of the range rig and it gets laggy at times always on campaign map , never during a battle

did you by anychance get the bug where it crashes during the A.I TURN?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

did you by anychance get the bug where it crashes during the A.I TURN?

ya had that once or twice but its not a crippling consistent problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Iv had ZERO problem with the game what so ever. People need to realise this, company CAN NOT RELEASE A GAME THAT IS BUG FREE anymore. It's just impossible there is so many variables it's crazy and makes the likely hood of their game (in this case a very complex game) run smoothly for everyone impossible. It's a luck of the draw type stuff, i couldn't play Fallout 3 and still can't but i can run this fine. Sorry lads you just got the wrong end of the straw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

Crashes for me every 30 minutes on both of my PC's.

This is NOT typical behaviour for modern games, and we do not, and should not ever have to get used to it.
    With the amount of forums complaining about crashes, I cant help but think this game was released with known bugs too early.

fluffer wrote: »
    Crashes for me every 30 minutes on both of my PC's.

This is NOT typical behaviour for modern games, and we do not, and should not ever have to get used to it.
    With the amount of forums complaining about crashes, I cant help but think this game was released with known bugs too early.

That's an unfair comment in my opinion. People experiencing technical issues with ETW are in the minority. It seems like a lot because people who have trouble are more likely going to post about it in a forum than those having no problems.

You will be more likely to see a topic titled "ETW crashed" as opposed to "ETW works fine." PC gamers have to live with bugged games. Developers have to make their games compatible with a hundreds of graphics cards, cpu and RAM as well as deal with Windows. Console games never really experience that level of bugs because everybody has the same system so they no it will work before it goes out.

Long story short: The PC as a console has too many variables to take into consideration and statistically more things can go wrong. The game works for the majority of people and in fairness to CA at least they are working around the clock to fix the problems by releasing a patch every week since release.

That's just my two cents anyway.

People experiencing technical issues with ETW are in the minority.

I would certainly hope so. What I am saying is that a significant number have had bugs. I have been buying pc games for years. I only ever had to bring back 1 to the shop (warrior kings). That and Elite were amongst the worst games ever released for bugs. They were infamous. However though ETW is not near that level, they do have a problem.
    A patch every week?! Ever ask why? Because it wasnt ready, they knew it wasnt, and now hope to patch it gradually post-development. This game is still in development. They should have waited.

I would certainly hope so. What I am saying is that a significant number have had bugs. I have been buying pc games for years. I only ever had to bring back 1 to the shop (warrior kings). That and Elite were amongst the worst games ever released for bugs. They were infamous. However though ETW is not near that level, they do have a problem.
    A patch every week?! Ever ask why? Because it wasnt ready, they knew it wasnt, and now hope to patch it gradually post-development. This game is still in development. They should have waited.

I understand where you are coming from, but CA didn't have a choice in the release date. They had already delayed it once and SEGA told them to get it out before summer hits, because summer is the slow period for gaming. So they had no choice but to release it.

CA have identified the problem with the vast majority of the game's bugs. It was caused by the release of a new nvidia driver released 2 weeks before ETW was. ETW doesn't work well with that driver. Now I realise that's not the sole cause of the problems, but it is the reason for the memory leaks and crashes. So they didn't know it was going to be bad when they released it.

ETW has had 3 patches and while that is a lot you have to realise that these are only small fixes. CA could easily have waited a month or two and released the fixes in one major patch, but they opted to release the fixes when they had them.

Still, as I have said a thousand times before, this is the least buggiest release of any total war game since Shogun. Some of the bugs in MTW and MTW2 were shocking. ETW has nothing on those games.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I cant think of any real time strategy game since 1998 that didnt recieve a series of patches post release for at least minimum balancing issues. While i am not saying that its a good thing, positives have come out of a patch support post release, both Starcraft and Company of Heroes achieved their Apex via post release patching (and then COH went to sh*t again with the add on pack) similar some developers have released numerous freebies with later patches such as new maps, gamemodes and units.

The Nvidia issue is very true. I rolled back my graphics drivers when that news got out and the vast majority of my issues melted away (before updating I had to play with everything on low, now I can keep most of them at high)

The only serious issues I have left are if I play the game for too long (2+ hours) it begins to slow to a crawl until it will finally crash, but I find a restarting the game every now and then sorts that issue out without much problems (besides its bad that I have clocked in such excessive hours into the campaign)

Creative Assembly hold some of the blame, and yes, perhaps SEGA are the major wrongdoers here.

Fixing balancing issues is one thing. Because yes you're right; almost every game of recent times had a balancing patch. I think it's the nature of balancing. People will always find exploits etc.
    Making the game unplayable, unuseable savegames, graphics glitches, memory leaks is another thing altogether.

Whether SEGA or CA. This game was not ready for general release.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Creative Assembly hold some of the blame, and yes, perhaps SEGA are the major wrongdoers here.

Fixing balancing issues is one thing. Because yes you're right; almost every game of recent times had a balancing patch. I think it's the nature of balancing. People will always find exploits etc.
    Making the game unplayable, unuseable savegames, graphics glitches, memory leaks is another thing altogether.

Whether SEGA or CA. This game was not ready for general release

But that's a very small % of people who are experience those problems, they can foresee every problem now can they? You do realise how complicated games have become and it's not easy to suddenly fix every problem when you don't know what kind of problem will arise? If they worked by your logic and kept it in development then the game would be still in development for another 3 or more months and they ll just loose money by doing that. The fact is they'v realised a game that the majority of people can play fine without any problems and the small amount of people that do have problems are being told that they are fixing it. They'v realised two patches in what two weeks already? I waited months for a Fallout patch and it fixed nothing! Be great full that CA are good developer.

I agree its a small percentage of gamers experiencing these problems. Absolutely. But its the size of that small percentage that concerns me.

Dont get me wrong, I've been a PC gamer for about 18 years+. It's just that game release quality is getting worse. Just because Steam affords them an efficient patch delivery system, doesnt mean that games should be shipped unready for general use.

The specs for my computers are nothing special. In fact my desktop is one of the most common setups out there. Both crash regularly.

Desktop (homebuilt):
    Quad 6600 2.4
    9800GTS
    X-fi Fatal1ty
    4gb ram

Laptop (LG p310):
    Core2 Duo p9500
    9600M gt 512
    4gb ram

So in short, yes I would prefer they delay release. And I think that pc games magazines should penalise heavily for unready games. Saying "my review copy does x, but it should be fixed by release day", then scoring it 94% isnt good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

To be honest i thought one of the main advantages of publishing through steam is that that steam constantly moniters what hardware its users are buying and using on the machines and this would give the developers a big hand in bug testing etc. I agree with a previous point that generally these release bugs are becoming more frequent .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

It crashes whenever I click on portsmouth dock now it seems - since the last patch. Hadn't been getting any crashes in the campaign map before that...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

Well the new patch is giving me constant CTD's. :(

Advertisement