Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

XBox media converter?

• 16-03-2009 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

I'm using my XBox 360 as a media center, which works pretty well except that some files I have don't match the required formats.

Is there any program out there which can, ideally, watch a directory and convert the file to a required XBox 360-compatble format if a file in the directory doesn't match?

P.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

For alot of the file sto play you have to be signed in to xbox live but even with that done it'll still only play wmv avi and mpegs.Won't play mkv and other formats unfortunately.reckon best option is an avi to wmv converter, loads of them on the web for free download .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

TVersity (www.tversity.com) is probably something worth looking at. It'll stream most formats straight to your XBox as needed, but if it's a format that wouldn't normally be recognised by the XBox it will convert the video while it is playing, so the XBox sees it as a format that it does recognise.

You'd usually need a fairly new PC for that, or else playback gets a bit choppy. (A 2GHz Pentium, with 1GB RAM is usually enough .... My paltry 1GHz one, with under 512MB RAM, not so much :)).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭ROC1977

There must be a post about Tversity on this forum every day. Mods should make a sticky.

Tversity will play EVERY video format and transcode on the fly to the 360. You can also stream Sopcast via Tversity, Youtube, G4TV, etc etc etc pod casts, Video URL's video feeds.

MKV Blueray rips in 1080p if your PC is duel core. And its free, and a doddle to set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Ah, am aware of TVersity alright (set it up on my Wii, in fact - and it was the poor results I got from that that persuaded me to go for an XBox 360!). However, since the XBox 360 now supports DixX/XVid video natively, I presumed you'd getting better picture quality by allowing the console to play the files rather than having your PC transcode these files on the fly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Yeah - DivX / XVid support is grand, they play natively and TVersity just stream the files without any transcoding. It's only when you get into other formats like MVK, or FLV (YouTube) that TVersity has to start Transcoding.

When you setup TVersity you can configure the desired resolution, etc. And if you really want to get stuck in you can make changes to the settings in ffmpeg, etc. that are used for the transcoding for your desired resolution. Although, the better the resolution you want, the more powerful your PC would have to be.

From my experience, TVersity is an invaluable piece of kit... (I'd agree with calls for a sticky)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭ROC1977

Yep its the best app for the 360 if you ask me.

I use it all the time. The only issue for me is the lack of 5.1 with MKV. Which hopefully will be fixed in future updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

I just tried TVersity with the ffdshow addon it comes with, but even though I added GTA: SA (the game I'm currently playing) to the exclusion list, video in the game was still corrupted. Not sure if it's because TVersity installs an older version of ffdshow, but I'm going to uninstall it all until I find out a surefire way of using ffdshow with games (I recall running into a similar problem in the past with Oblivion).

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Fuzzballs

Videora Xbox 360 Converter.

Google it you will find it

Advertisement