Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Camera for Safari

• 16-03-2009 12:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭

Hi all
    Last year, I went on safari with some mickey mouse digital camera and I was pretty disappointed with the quality of the photos.( What could I expect i suppose)
    So im going again in a few weeks time and I want to take some photos to remember. So I'm looking at buying a decent quality camera. I'll be going through heathrow's duty free and the dixons tax free store seem to have some good brands and prices..

http://www.dixonstaxfree.co.uk/index.cfm?fuseaction=imaging.home&section=imaging&group=11&page=3

Could you provide me with some basic advise as to what I should be looking out for when making a purchase? I will be wanting a camera with a good zoom anyways to get close ups of the animals. I'd also like something that would allow me to make some decent quality close up videos but this isnt essential.

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

How much do you want to spend? DSLR or compact?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Tiesto

well im thinking of around the 300 mark..
    Could possibly go a little bit higher but if i could get a decent one for 250 either...
    I dont know the diff between DSLR and compact

I was looking at something like this :
    http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/gadget/24-univers.html

but if a more compact camera can do the same job id consider it..

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Tillerman08

Bought this camera for Safari last year- fantastic camera with excellent zoom- 15x, smile/face detect. Picture quality is superb even at full zoom.

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/1434167/art/sony/cyber-shot-dsc-h50b-black.html

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I have the Panasonic Lumix one with the 20x zoom (or thereabouts). Brilliant camera. I think its the one on your link for £217.

thanks for the info.
    The only disadvantage of buying a camera like this is that obviously it cant fit in my pocket, for taking the odd picture here and there..

would it be possible to get a compact camera that would be good for safari too?

Thanks

• Advertisement

Compact cameras are mostly between 1 - 5 x optical zoom and would not be great for far away shots and relatively useless on safari in my opinion.

You should look at something above 10x optical zoom. As far a I know compacts don't tend to have this zoom but I could be wrong. As for carrying around the camera- I bought a lower pro back pack that had a compartment at the top for personal items such as drinks etc. and the lower compartment was for camera equipment. I figured that I would be bringing a back pack anyway so this did both and I found it worked fine.

Compact cameras are mostly between 1 - 5 x optical zoom and would not be great for far away shots and relatively useless on safari in my opinion.

You should look at something above 10x optical zoom. As far a I know compacts don't tend to have this zoom but I could be wrong. As for carrying around the camera- I bought a lower pro back pack that had a compartment at the top for personal items such as drinks etc. and the lower compartment was for camera equipment. I figured that I would be bringing a back pack anyway so this did both and I found it worked fine.

thanks for that Tillerman. Where would I get one of these bags? any links? thanks!!

Bought mine in www.7dayshop.com (very cheap flash memory aswell) but they don't seem to stock them anymore. Found this one on ebay-

http://cgi.ebay.ie/BRAND-NEW-LOWEPRO-FASTPACK-200-PHOTO-BACKPACK-IN-BLACK_W0QQitemZ310127974687QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CamerasPhoto_CameraAccessories_BagsCases_JN?hash=item310127974687&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1300%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Make sure you shop around cause they are charging anything up to and over 110 euros.

really cool idea that. However I think someone could easily rob my camera from the bag without me noticing? Especially on the streets of Nairobi or is there some type of lock/safety system built in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭jackdaw

Tiesto wrote: »
    thanks for the info.
    The only disadvantage of buying a camera like this is that obviously it cant fit in my pocket, for taking the odd picture here and there..

would it be possible to get a compact camera that would be good for safari too?

Thanks

In a word .. no ..

You should get a canon 450D and the 70-300 f4-5.6 IS lens ..

that will set you back about €800 ... but will get you good photos..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

jackdaw wrote: »
    In a word .. no ..

You should get a canon 450D and the 70-300 f4-5.6 IS lens ..

that will set you back about €800 ... but will get you good photos..

Ah you can get a decent dslr and a 70-300 cheaper then that.

Sony a200/nikon d40 + sigma 70-300= 450 euro.

Far better then any compact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭jackdaw

The sigma 70-300 is not the best ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

The Sigma 70-300mm lens is one of the best value for money lenses on the market in that zoom range. Anything to be better than it costs quite a bit more and it is better than the equivalently priced Canon in my opinion.

However, the OP is not going to take fantastic photographs with a DSLR straight off without actually learning to use it so OP, while I would endorse either the Canon or the Sony as good entry level DSLRs, they both come with learning curves and I don't think you have the time to learn how to use the camera.

I'd recommend a decent Fuji bridge camera with a 10x optical zoom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,165 ✭✭✭nilhg

Calina wrote: »
    The Sigma 70-300mm lens is one of the best value for money lenses on the market in that zoom range. Anything to be better than it costs quite a bit more and it is better than the equivalently priced Canon in my opinion.

However, the OP is not going to take fantastic photographs with a DSLR straight off without actually learning to use it so OP, while I would endorse either the Canon or the Sony as good entry level DSLRs, they both come with learning curves and I don't think you have the time to learn how to use the camera.

I'd recommend a decent Fuji bridge camera with a 10x optical zoom.

Agree totally, but would add that if you go for one of the ultrazooms, look for one with image stabilisation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭heffsarmy

The sigma lens 70-300mm is a sharp lens and excellent value for money (120 euro new last time checked in camera shop georges street), get this and a secondhand canon 350d or 20d (cost around 200 - 300 secondhand) and you will have a great setup. Just stick the camera in auto mode and fire away, would'nt bother with a bridge camera, and when you come home from safarai you could sell the camera and lens if you don't want them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,113 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Depending on the condition, this looks like good value.

thanks for the comments
    What do ye guys think of the FUJI S2000

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

jackdaw wrote: »
    The sigma 70-300 is not the best ...

I have spent a month happily using the sigma apo macro.
    It cost just under 200 euro in May, 2009 and while it is not as sharp as the Canon lenses with IS, it looks likely to suit me for some time to come, especially as I have a limited budget and find Canon very expensive indeed.

For safari photos I think I would consider using film with a good zoom lens. Processing adds to the expense, but if you just ask for the photos to be scanned to CD and not printed, the costs are manageable.

I brought my Pentax round Tasmania and was very glad to have it to record the iconic Cradle Mountain. Somehow the sensor on my Canon Digital Rebel did not do justice to the terror that this mountain created in my domesticated soul.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭Ciaran_Dub

Tiesto wrote: »
    thanks for the comments
    What do ye guys think of the FUJI S2000

Tiesto if you are considering a Fuji bridge camera I have the Fuji S9600 for sale with a Metz external flash plus a couple of memory cards one is a 2gig XD card.

PM if you are interested.

• Advertisement

Check out the following website for camera/ lens reviews: http://www.dpreview.com/.

Also check out amazon and see what the reviews are like there but make sure that you are happy and research it properly. Nothing worse than buying a camera and after a few months finding out that you would actually like a camera where you can switch lenses or that has more manual features. Happy hunting!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

Why not try to borrow or rent a camera?

There are quite a lot of cameras in houses that get little use and the owners might be quite happy to share.

I rarely use my Pentax film camera these days and would be happy to share it with family or friends who are careful and know how to use it. You may well know people who think this way.

Advertisement