Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What motherboard for PhenomII 920?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

If you're not overclocking then you could get almost anything there, though most will need a BIOS update.

As for performance/cooling/OC: Northbridge has a huge effect on Phenom 1/2 speed and stability, so no lower than 780G certainly. Other than that it boils down to what you need: if you need a smaller mATX board you'll be limited to something 780G-based whereas if you can take an ATX board and have the cash get a 790GX certainly. This is the cheapest but if you need CrossFire then this is the lowest you can go. If its SLi you need then you're stuck with an nForce chipset, this is the best value I can see. If you want to save a couple of pennies yeet keep CrossFire you could get this Gigabyte based on the older 790X chipset but this may effect high-end stability.

As for CPU cooler? Anything that will fit AM2 still applies, though if you intend to OC you should look toward a good-quality tower cooler, 120mm fan if the case has enough horizontal clearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭ironderek

And what about Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H, AMD 790GX is't any good?

Of course it is, I was only pointing out the cheapest options (while giving the veiled suggestion that the best board varies depending on your other requirements ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭ironderek

Ok. I'm stuck now between them two:
    Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4, Socket-AM2+/AM3 and Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H, AMD 790GX. One of them has integrated graphics card second doesn't. Which one should I choose? Mayby when somethink happend to my HD4850 is good to have spare graphics card hiding on the motherboard?

The lack of an integrated GPU shouldn't be a deal-breaker but the more expensive model that does have one also has a more up-to-date chipset. That wouldn't have the same epic significance if it were Intel but AMD CPUs like the newest northbridge possible and even without overclocking many ppl have been saying that their CPUs have been running a lot cooler and more stable with a 790GX NB. The only real question is if you want to drop the extra €20 to get the extras.

• Advertisement
Advertisement