Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Date for a one day strike - March 30th:

Options
  • 16-03-2009 1:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭

Strike on 30th of March.
    Aren't French Orals on that day.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

March 30th has been designated as a day of strike action for all unions including the ASTI/ TUI and INTO against the government's unfair and inequitable handling of the economic crisis. If the strike goes ahead - and a final decision on that will be taken over the next few days - oral examinations scheduled for March 30th will be held on another day that week.

Parents and pupils can be assured that the examinations will be conducted in the usual professional and objective manner by the qualified teachers employed by the State Examinations Commission.

LC students dont really have orals, so probably this should be moved to either the Teaching and Lecturing or the Leaving Cert forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Moved to LC board. I assume you meant JC students don't have orals, Fad. : p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Saffy

day off school???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭GA361

That day off is going to be a blessing in disguise. . . .
    Sure won't we get another day to study!:)

Moved to LC board. I assume you meant JC students don't have orals, Fad. : p

No you can have an Oral for languages at JC level, but the ASTI dont really allow it, because the department doesnt provide an examiner, so a teacher from the school has to do it. Which is open to so many problems :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

I have Irish at 2.30 on the day. Can we send in letters of complaints slating the examiners for striking thus subjecting us to unexpected trauma etc :p Is their a protest on the same day? If so im going down the road to egg them on just to make sure they don't come back later in the day!

Stev_o wrote: »
    I have Irish at 2.30 on the day. Can we send in letters of complaints slating the examiners for striking thus subjecting us to unexpected trauma etc :p Is their a protest on the same day? If so im going down the road to egg them on just to make sure they don't come back later in the day!

They arent gonna come back in, any oral on that day is postponed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

What an intelligent post!:rolleyes:

The examiners who will be doing your oral exam won't be the ones at your school on the 30th of March. They'll be at their own schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

There's music practicals on that day in our school and anyone who has it on that day has to do it the previous wednesday instead :mad: Thankfully I'm on the Tuesday. Stupid teachers actually aren't considering us at all, in the middle of the fudging orals! :mad::mad::mad:

Jay P wrote: »
    Stupid teachers actually aren't considering us at all, in the middle of the fudging orals! :mad::mad::mad:

I think the intention is to cause the maximum disruption possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 snowflakes

At the risk of sounding stupid:o, do we all get the day off??!
    Or will this only involve certain schools??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

The media will think this will be the end of the world.

Really exams will just need to go on hour and a half longer the other days or theyll fit in the extra day somewhere, just means postponing things by a day!

snowflakes wrote: »

I'd imagine its everyone, ask in school tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

snowflakes wrote: »

All public sector are off. So all will be off.
    So Yes you will have a day off!

Hopefully my oral will be after the strike, if it gets pushed froward I'll scream!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭clartharlear

Wouldn't it be more constructive to write letters complaining about the cuts that have forced the teachers to take industrial action?

PS I initially read your post to mean that you were thinking of throwing eggs at the protesters, which made me feel very negatively towards you for a minute!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I would have thought having a school day the day before an oral would have been more useful in terms of last minute practice etc. than a weekend.

**edit**
    I have just thought that through.
    Damn you, alcohol, damn you to jiminy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Wouldn't it be more constructive to write letters complaining about the cuts that have forced the teachers to take industrial action?

PS I initially read your post to mean that you were thinking of throwing eggs at the protesters, which made me feel very negatively towards you for a minute!

Consider slowing down while reading?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Jay P wrote: »
    There's music practicals on that day in our school and anyone who has it on that day has to do it the previous wednesday instead :mad: Thankfully I'm on the Tuesday. Stupid teachers actually aren't considering us at all, in the middle of the fudging orals! :mad::mad::mad:

Oh Fúck.

I don't know what day my french is meant to be on that week, but if it gets pushed forward I think I'll actually DIE. (Possible exageration like, but shííííííít!)

Pushing them forward would be cruel, it's hard enough doing 2 languages without doing them like, beside each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

How do the teachers think this will help? It will only make everyone angry. Feck them and their stupid selfish strike, at least they have feckin jobs

(I wouldn't even be bothered if it wasn't on during the orals, but they're all idiots.)

phasers wrote: »
    How do the teachers think this will help? It will only make everyone angry. Feck them and their stupid selfish strike, at least they have feckin jobs

(I wouldn't even be bothered if it wasn't on during the orals, but they're all idiots.)

Pretty sure its not just the teachers...........

It's more time for you to study too!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Fad wrote: »
    Pretty sure its not just the teachers...........

It's more time for you to study too!

I don't care who organised it, they're disrupting my orals. God himself could have decided to strike and I'd still be annoyed. How is it more time to study? It's less time in school! I'll just be sitting at home worrying all day

I don't care who organised it, they're disrupting my orals. God himself could have decided to strike and I'd still be annoyed. How is it more time to study? It's less time in school! I'll just be sitting at home worrying all day

Relax, its completely beyond your control, so stop moaning and get on with it. Its pretty unlikely that you'd get a huge amount done in school in those few days with all the disruption from all the orals and practicals.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭clartharlear

Sheesh, like. The point is to make everybody angry. You really should know a bit more about the art of la Grève if you're to have any chance at French.
    Well, that's just silly of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

My french teacher said they wouldn't be pushed forward, examiners wouldn't go for it.
    Or something. Hopefully.

I have my Irish Oral on the Thursday of next week.. I want as much time between the two as possible!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Are we expected to join in with this protest, as make banners and march. Don't think I'd mind, gets me an extra day to study for the oral :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Fad wrote: »
    I think the intention is to cause the maximum disruption possible.

ICTU set the date for public service workers to strike as the 30th. That date was set before the teaching unions voted on the strike.

ICTU set the date for public service workers to strike as the 30th. That date was set before the teaching unions voted on the strike.

I'm well aware of that, all the public sector striking will cause lotsa trouble :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

theowen wrote: »
    Are we expected to join in with this protest, as make banners and march. Don't think I'd mind, gets me an extra day to study for the oral :)

no no only the teachers! :)

Advertisement