Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Date for a one day strike - March 30th:

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 omgz

yay it's a monday off!
    uh.. my teachers were saying they'l make sure to give extra HW for it..
    So scabbyy.. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭irishmonkey

Irish teacher said she wasnt in the union so she'd come in and do oral with us, but that's passing the picket line isnt it =/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

There's gonna be a walk out in many colleges on the 30th to protest against fees, and kind of act in solidarity with the teachers over education cut backs, which are a ****ing disgrace :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

Irish teacher said she wasnt in the union so she'd come in and do oral with us, but that's passing the picket line isnt it =/

Far as I know it would have to be an official examiner from a different school.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭MeetReality

And that Irish teacher would really be waisting her time when the Irish orals would be over then :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

And that Irish teacher would really be waisting her time when the Irish orals would be over then :p

Mine aren't till the 1st April.;)

Hopefully once for info comes out we'll know what the craic is, I for one will be in there protesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭irishmonkey

padocon wrote: »
    Far as I know it would have to be an official examiner from a different school.

No, like help us prepare.

And yeh, my Irish oral is either on the 1st or 2nd of April.
    Most of the northside has Irish on the first week, and European language on the second, and the southside is vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

20th March, 2009

All ASTI members, as endorsed in a ballot of members, are directed:

1. To withdraw their services from second-level schools and colleges on Monday, March 30th, 2009.

Seems to be official now.

No, like help us prepare.

Oh, sorry for the mis-understanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

If only Irish was on the second week for me. :(

• Advertisement

Davidius wrote: »
    If only Irish was on the second week for me. :(

Is for me :D

French on tuesday shiiiiiiiiiiiit

*Runs off*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Saffy

so theres deffo no school on monday???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

TBH they've said it and now im looking forward to a 3 day weekend so even if they go 'ah actually...' and cancel it, I'm staying in and having my own strike:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I'm unsure to be happy or unhappy about getting Monday off :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

I'm happy to have the day off :) but it's a bit ridiculous that they're going on strike!

I heard on the RTE news that the unions are having talks and RTE says they think that there will be no strike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭bricky10

tbh, Im annoyed!! How dare they go on strike. Most of the world are feeling the heat at the moment, theres no need for a strike, it wont get what they want!!
    There is only like 2 months and a bit to our LC!!
    And most importantly, they should be grateful they have jobs, instead of complaining all the time.

Sorry if i have annoyed anyone, just needed that off my chest!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Craigsy

That week is the week of the Irish orals for me, and it doesn't really make that much of a difference if its pushed back one day. I wish people would stop giving out about the teachers, and as one person said " we should throw eggs at them". A lot of teachers don't want to strike but have to becase it was union action. So just chillax your Kaks for a mo

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Craigsy wrote: »
    That week is the week of the Irish orals for me, and it doesn't really make that much of a difference if its pushed back one day. I wish people would stop giving out about the teachers, and as one person said " we should throw eggs at them". A lot of teachers don't want to strike but have to becase it was union action. So just chillax your Kaks for a mo

If you read carefully no one actually said that.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭manutd4life

the teachers in my school are saying that they dont think the strike is going ahead because it didntget a majority.i wanted a day off

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

Fad wrote: »

Aw no! I was looking forward to the long weekend! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Ah bollox.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

Craigsy wrote: »
    A lot of teachers don't want to strike but have to becase it was union action.

True. My parents both work in the public sector (no they are not ridiculously overpaid civil servants, they have a relatively low income). They both voted no at their last union meeting to strike action. They are sick of going on strike because they know too well that it is not going to make a difference and that they will be heckled at the picket line! But the majority decided that they should strike, although most of their friends thought the same as they did. They are actually tired of the trade union. They are being way too aggressive and the last exec that visited them was on like 140,000 a year! Bunch of hypocrits!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

The boottlers, would've loved a day off.

I was down for my Irish oral at 3pm on Tuesday, guess it'll be on Monday now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

damn... i was planning to spend monday studying for my spanish oral... not till thursday so should be ok otherwise..

Yup, No strike!

Advertisement