Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom broadband acting erratically?

Options
  • 16-03-2009 2:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭

I'm not sure this is worthy of a thread to itself, but over the past week or so I've noticed that the quality of my broadband has gone down a lot.

It keeps fading in and out, all I can say is thank God I'm not gaming online anymore. ;)

But is anyone else experiencing similar problems?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 mc01a

tarriffs there called (i think)

it is where if your using it alot they reduce down your speed,

it's fu*kin sh*t i hate it

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Yes ive noticed the quality has gone down alot recently especially over past month, almost every day my internet suddenly go's dead and once i restart modem and computer its back up again, its gettin very annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Grommet

mc01a wrote: »
    tarriffs there called (i think)

it is where if your using it alot they reduce down your speed,

Eh - you just made that up didn't you?

There is no such thing.

DSL performance completely depends on where you are - I know that eircom have had some problems in various parts of their network that they have been working on fixing over the past few months. They still have some more work to do.

So when you post here you really need to say where you live so that other posters in your area can confirm if they are in seeing the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Grommet wrote: »
    Eh - you just made that up didn't you?

There is no such thing.

DSL performance completely depends on where you are - I know that eircom have had some problems in various parts of their network that they have been working on fixing over the past few months. They still have some more work to do.

So when you post here you really need to say where you live so that other posters in your area can confirm if they are in seeing the same thing.

Ah fairy nuff.

Well I'm in Sandymount, so south Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭docmol

My pings on CSS went from 35-50 ->500+ this afternoon!(Monday) Contacted Eircon support and support rep did various tests. Paying for 3mb and getting 600kb! He suggested disabling my wireless and using a patch. When I told him my ping to the router was 4ms and running a cable wasn't an option he said hard luck, until I try with a wire it's not their problem! I will be ringing UPC on wednesday... Cabra area, anyone else have this problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

docmol wrote: »
    My pings on CSS went from 35-50 ->500+ this afternoon!(Monday) Contacted Eircon support and support rep did various tests. Paying for 3mb and getting 600kb!

I must've been much luckier then.
    I had the exact same problem except my speed was running at 400kb .I made 8 phonecalls to Eircom last week complaining.I eventually spoke to some girl who did something...I don't know what...she didn't seem willing to explain but it fixed it.She also sent out an engineer who arrived 7hrs after the phonecall to her!(he seemed to know nothing about broadband though and my line was perfect).Before speaking to her I spoke to someone who told me I needed to reinstall XP,someone who suggested I download and install something "that might destroy the system and pc" and someone who told me they could do nothing without the cable. There seems to be very little consistency in the quality of their support.

I also found with mine that I was getting speeds of 400kb most of the time but it spiked up to 2779kb every time I was on the phone.Anyone else notice that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Gonzo wrote: »
    almost every day my internet suddenly go's dead and once i restart modem and computer its back up again, its gettin very annoying.

This has been happening to me all day today and yesterday. It's beyond infuriating. My connection dies all of a sudden, but when I restart my router all is well again........for about 5 minutes, at which point it'll die again. I've restarted my router about 20 times already, today/

Is it Eircoms fault or a problem with my router?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Interesting thread.
    Friend of mine living in Iniskeen Co Monaghan.

Connected to Eircom Broadband Package for past 12 months with acceptable performance.
    Suddenly a month ago it all changes.....DSL disappearing...Phone Going Dead....Phone comes back DSL stays out.....DSL comes back...phone stays out.

Yada yada yada......Support found wanting....somebody somewhere will eventually cotton on that putting an unqualified individual behind a desk with a standard checklist of questions which he/she MUST ask EVERY caller does not represent Technical assistance.

Anyway....Iniskeen Co Monaghan....reports please on whether the Eircom Broadband Revolution is pulling out of town ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 breezor

hey guys im back again for more whine.
    eircom was perfect the past 2 months aftr the portlaoise exchange was upgraded . and now its gone t fuk again . amybe its jus t last 2 nites. but i doubt it . i think its safe to say this will be consistant. bastards keep siginin up to eircom portlaoise exhcange!@!!
    Ping statistics for 82.98.86.175:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% los
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 187ms, Maximum = 198ms, Average = 194ms fail . grommet u seem to be the only person taht can help ever with these problems.. i think tbh u shud get a job with eircom. anyway. any suggestions or imput or do i have to play the waitin game again for another 6 months get it fixd for 2 months and back to waiting game again etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

same problems in ballyvourney, eircom speed test 260kb, not happy, paying for 3mb. Upto three months ago getting ok service of 1800, now its all over the place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

does anyone know if i can email a supervisor with my problem, i'm really fed up of being told to reinstall windows or that i have a virus

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

up and down for me tonight too, varying speeds from 150Kps to 30Kps... 3MB bundle.

Has been sh*te for the last few weeks...

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

This has been happening to me all day today and yesterday. It's beyond infuriating. My connection dies all of a sudden, but when I restart my router all is well again........for about 5 minutes, at which point it'll die again. I've restarted my router about 20 times already, today/

Is it Eircoms fault or a problem with my router?

In Cork city and I'm having the exact same problem. Keep getting disconnected ever 10-15 minutes. Play a lot of COD4 on xbox and I'm getting to play maybe 2 matches without getting 'connection interrupted' messages. It's the same with marketplace - took almost 4 days to download a movie and I've a demo (600mb) that been at 11% for the past 3 hours. Thought it may be my old netopia router until i saw this thread.

Between this and my girlfriends chorus modem I'm having no luck with broadband at the moment.

Talked to Eircom support again tonight and was told engineer had visited exchange but could not find a problem!! Helpfull support guy actually listened and agreed that I had an issue!! He has called for a priortiy visit to exchange from engineer and said should be done by thursday. Progress, I'll wait and see....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Getting the exact same problem in Clondalkin, the Palmerstown exchange

I've been onto "Expert" Eircom engineers tech service three times already.
    The first time the guy ran me through some tests...which confirmed for him there was nothing wrong my end, so he then said he'd send out an engineer to check the exchange and my line

Engineer comes next day.....exhange is perfect he says...basically he typed 3 buttons on his keypad and said...yeah...exchange is grand...i don't know what to tell ye ! So he said "I'll put in for a faulty modem"

Obviously its not the modem, my friend is on 7mb, I'm on 3mb...both use different lines....but we both get thrown to 0.5mb during the day. So I rang the helpline again, they said they cant escalate my case till the modem is sent.

This is driving me mad as I use broadband solely for gaming, I've had to leave my game now as I get pings of 120-600 and my download speed doesn't go past 30kbps

Im gonna ring and complain again as soon as the modem comes, then I'm gonna change ISP.

I've a feeling theyre just blatantly throwing everyone onto 0.5mb during peak hours....I'm deffo not happy and not getting the service i pay for !

And from the Bulk of the thread it seems to be a nationwide thing

Did you ever get the feeling that they are selling way more than their infrastructure can support? If they put the money from their advertising campaign into infrastructure maybe all these posts would be happy posts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Christ the page actually loaded for me. I've been on the interent for about 2 hours now and no word of a lie the longest time without getting disconnected must have been 10 minutes max. I was going to ring up Eircom and Fuck whoever answered the phone outta it, but decided against that because its obviously not his/her fault.
    Its gone beyond a joke now. Really really pissed off now. :mad::mad:

No point to screaming down the phone, just keep ringing and logging calls and ringing and logging calls, and hope something happens (or change isp)

docmol wrote: »
    No point to screaming down the phone, just keep ringing and logging calls and ringing and logging calls, and hope something happens (or change isp)

I think everyone visiting here should at least be ringing the eircom 1890260260 number and complaining that theyre only gettin 0.5mb , and pointing out the fact that this is occuring EVERYWHERE

Maybe then theyll realise they have to upgrade or fix their lines

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭magic roundabou

i am glad im not the only one - my broadband is on strike - im with smart and in the last week or so its crazy slow - can you tell me how to check my speed so i can see how slow it is
    have checked everthing else but must be the speed , im with smart
    thanks

• Advertisement

Click this link : http://www.speedtest.net/
    and follow instructions

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭magic roundabou

the results were download 3736 kb/s upload 235 kb/s and the ping is 90ms
    how does that rate ???

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

I got 665/316 Kbps @ 128ms ping on the 3mb package using Speedtest.net. I tend to use ftp.heatnet.ie to test my speed. If that is slow then the problem is definately with the ISP.

After a perfect 7 months with Eircom, I've been getting irratic bandwidth performance since Christmas. But lately performance seems tied to the time of day which has lead me to believe that the issue is over-subscription of Eircom's service. A WiFi search shows nothing but Eircom SSIDs in my neighbourhood. I intend to help balance that out once my contract expires

Typically, Eircom has sold one of the more reliable broadband products. With the financial difficulties their owners are in now, I wouldn't be suprised if the accountants took a look at the service they provide, compared it with the service they are contractually obliged to provide, and made cuts as they saw fit. I believe Eircom have cut costs by odering less bandwidth from their upstream providers.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

well about to dial eircom and find out what the problem is, and if its not sorted within the next 42 hours, cancel my line.

I'm not in contract with them, as about 3 months ago I was switching to ntl. Conviently got a phonecall of eircom asking was i "happy" with my service. When I ate the head of the guy about how crap my service was and the line speeds, he upgraded me to 7mb for an extra 2 euro a month.

I'm getting worse speeds then the 3mb package.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

I was about to ring up and lower my line attenuation for the 7.6meg package. But im going to wait this out and see when they'll stop acting the ****e.

[rumor spreading]Jeez i hope this slowness isnt atributed to some traffic shaping or censorship measure[/rumor spreading]

the results were download 3736 kb/s upload 235 kb/s and the ping is 90ms
    how does that rate ???
    Your ping isin't that great but what package are you paying for? If it's the 7mb you are getting about half of what you are entitled to, If 3mb say nothing!

TheDoc wrote: »
    well about to dial eircom and find out what the problem is, and if its not sorted within the next 42 hours, cancel my line.

I'm not in contract with them, as about 3 months ago I was switching to ntl. Conviently got a phonecall of eircom asking was i "happy" with my service. When I ate the head of the guy about how crap my service was and the line speeds, he upgraded me to 7mb for an extra 2 euro a month.

I'm getting worse speeds then the 3mb package.

Doc did you ring up Eircom Sales or which number ? I plan to ring up and cancel as soon as their new modem arrives and doesnt sort out my problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Hmmm....

After nearly a month of having the worst 7.5mb Broadband connection in the world™, it has returned to normal today all of a sudden. Full speed all day long. Happy days.

How long will it last though, I wonder? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭BeatFreak

I've been having serious lag issues since Sunday evening. Lots of regular 1 second long lag spikes. Download speeds seem unaffected.

Eircom 7mb in Wicklow town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

My 2Mb/2Mb IBB breeze connection has been rock solid since I got installed.

:cheshirecatgrin:

Advertisement