Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom broadband acting erratically?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭docmol

Just rang Eircom support again. I was told that the problem has been identified as an exchange issue, other people in the area are also suffering from it and they have engineers working on it. At last, they believe me! They have no estimated repair date though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 3raser

I'm in Dublin 8 and it's happening here too, I'm on the 3mb bundle, it was fine since Nov 2008 was getting max speeds. My contract ends in Oct:(
    438396025.png
    It gets better at night but still not max speed like I used to get. Anyone know why this has happened recently to alot of eircom bb users, have they decided to do an overhaul of the lines/exchanges and it will take quite some time and they're not telling us the truth because they're afraid of losing customers?

I don't know why they're so slow either. I do know it all started for me on the 16th Mar. If it's not resolved next weel I'll be asking for a cut in the bill. I personally wouldn't worry about the contract thing as I don't think they are living up to their side. Either way log the call and get a reference number. Don't let them pawn you off with the usual excuses (antivirus s/w, wireless interference etc.) ping your router before you call (or plug in a patch, or say you have plugged in a patch.) Don't let them off the phone 'till they have acknowledged the problem and say they will send an engineer. Then follow it up. If you get a stuck-up support person, hang-up and ring back later. Usual rules for dealing with people on the phone, be polite, firm and don't let them get off topic. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭niallith

ive ben having the same problems wit my eircom for the past week its been slower than dialup >_< am on eircom 7.6mb package,
    well today i found a modem in my house cant remember even buying it but anyways i plugged it in and hooked up the wires and bam my inet speed is back to normal :o altho there was seemingly nothing wrong with my other one( the current eircom netopia modem(SILVER) and the one i just hooked up is a netopia also big blue one so maybe try requesting/buying a new modem might help all your problems as it did for me for some odd reason good luck anyways

Rang Eircom again today to find that they had closed my call! The support rep couldn't find it on his system (I wouldn't give him any details except logcall reference number and he hadn't a clue about the problem) Eventually he got a superior who said that they knew about the problem but couldn't give me an estimated repair date, same as last week, and suggested I ring back next week. I thanked him and rang upc, 10mb + phone here I come :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭dasilverfox

444174910.pngmy 7mb. been like this about a month now. in the evenings and weekends.

445784373.pngmonday 6 april 2:52am

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Yeah dasilverfox, although the speed etc is better, look at the time 3am nearly. How many people are going to be on at that time, they won't throttle the broadband then.

Test between 7pm-11pm , you'll be lucky to get half the speed you pay for.

For me personally I can't put up with it anymore as i need low pings in order to play in matches, my ping last night was 200-600 :(

I'm also on Eircom 7mb , in Dublin22

446231557.pngit's a bloody disgrace that they can charge for this rubbish service sean the man. i've been told their engineers are working on the problem but they can't tell me when it'll be fixed. oh and still no sign of the engineer that they promised would call out to my house. eircom are a bunch of cowboys.

I've gone through the same process man

Was on 3mb with my old router , broadband had been grand with eircom for the past 4 years.

Bout a month ago it started acting up, rang and complained to Tech support.
    They tried to talk me through a load of stupid steps to make sure it wasnt my end , then when they realised it wasn't they said they'd send an engineer out.

Engineer arrives out at 9am, of course its not a busy time, so the BB is working fine, he tests the line on his little keypad and says everything is fine with the exchange, I complain to him that the same thing will happen in the evening (it will drop to 0.5mb)

He says " I'm not sure what it is, but sure ill put in for a router problem anyways" ....I'm thinking to myself....this is not going to make any difference.

Router arrives a week later, no difference

I upgrade to 7mb to maybe avail of less contention, no difference

Playing COD4 match last night, 9pm...ping was 200-600

Rang today to complain, got load of bull again, I told him i'd ring when i get home to my PC so he can test my line while my router is on.
    Will update after I kill the man at the end of the phone later tonight

• Advertisement

446366047.pngthis is the worst i've seen it now, i'm ringing those f*****s tomorrow to tell them they're not getting a penny more til they sort it out. yeah same here, i started noticing problems around st. paddys weekend when my xbox and ps3 wouldn't sign in at all. i wonder how many other ppl are getting ****e speeds and not even noticing. changing isp probably won't make a bloody difference either m8.

impressive ping eh?

446391792.png new record? can anyone beat that?

Just off the phone with them there,,,,you sure you're not downloading anything ??

Anyways, yeah,,,just off the phone with tech support again (they're open till 10pm) btw,,,,and I have them sending another engineer out to test the line again. Maybe this fella won't be as useless as the last pleb that was sent out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

SeantheMan wrote: »
    I've gone through the same process man

Was on 3mb with my old router , broadband had been grand with eircom for the past 4 years.

Bout a month ago it started acting up, rang and complained to Tech support.
    They tried to talk me through a load of stupid steps to make sure it wasnt my end , then when they realised it wasn't they said they'd send an engineer out.

Engineer arrives out at 9am, of course its not a busy time, so the BB is working fine, he tests the line on his little keypad and says everything is fine with the exchange, I complain to him that the same thing will happen in the evening (it will drop to 0.5mb)

He says " I'm not sure what it is, but sure ill put in for a router problem anyways" ....I'm thinking to myself....this is not going to make any difference.

thats exactly whats happening on my line!!! grand at ten am when they call round but at night down to less than5mb. i can barely get the fu**** speedtest page to load

I'm still having same problem but maybe I can help y'all out a little. I've a call logged since 16th march and no sign of any improvement, they say they are aware of the problem, it's not my line, it's between the exchange and their hub, and they can't give a date for a fix. I rang yet again on friday last and when tech support said they couldn't fix it or give a date (again) I said that I wanted to make an official complaint and asked to be put through to their complaints department. Talked to a guy there (who said he couldn't do anything as it was a technical issue) so I told him I wanted to disconnect. He then put me through to a guy whose job is to talk people out of disconnecting. Very nice chap who put me on hold while he talked to tech support. When he got back to me he said he had got my call prioritized(pinch of salt) and he would offer me free broadband for a month as a goodwill gesture. He also gave me his name and direct phone number. If it isn't sorted within a month I'll ring him back and disconnect if he dosn't do the same again. I have no intention of paying eircom for broadband until this is sorted, and I suggest you all do the same. It's not a line problem but an exchange problem, you can't fix it. It's useless going up to 7mb, save your money.

446871923.pngjust rang to to make an official complaint to 1800200481. i told them i'm cancelling if this isn't fixed in a week. i said they should be contacting me to let me know what's going, and not me calling them. an engineer will call me within 2 working days to let me know when it'll be repaired. i'll be getting a refund, plus i'm not paying another cent til it's fixed. i'll keep ye all posted.

Nice one dasilverfox, maybe if everyone else does the same we might get some progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

Here's two tests I ran tonight. Same story, 3MB line, last week or two we've been noticing these speeds at night.

I'll be onto Eircom tomorrow.

447233410.png

447239193.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Skipdmn

I don't mind the speed drops too much (as long as it doesn't go too low), but what really annoys me is the constant resetting of the IP address. It makes playing online with the PS3 impossible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

447733068.png

I'm on a 1mb package in Mayo - internet has been painfully slow at times and getting progressively slower since before christmas. If I'm watching any videos on xbox live, they will (without fail) always have to pause to buffer themselves - this will happen at least once for each video I watch. Up until about a month ago, I had no trouble.

Are my results above acceptable for a 1mb connection - internet seems to be working fine right now, no problems loading any pages.

447733068.png

I'm on a 1mb package in Mayo - internet has been painfully slow at times and getting progressively slower since before christmas. If I'm watching any videos on xbox live, they will (without fail) always have to pause to buffer themselves - this will happen at least once for each video I watch. Up until about a month ago, I had no trouble.

Are my results above acceptable for a 1mb connection - internet seems to be working fine right now, no problems loading any pages.
    Hi Captain Slow, I'm on a 3meg line in Dublin and would kill for your ping! I think you took the speedtest when every was working fine. Try again when you are having problems.
    PS Your dowload speed is 72% above what you are paying for ;-)

447765586.pngcompared to yesterday this is a big improvement. dare i ask, could it be fixed? ah no, probably not. my ping has always been this **** by the way. done the speedtest on my ps3 earlier and got 18mb. i nearly choked on me tea. it was around the 5mb mark when i retested. played deathmatch on gta4 earlier, and sometimes wonder when i'm shooting someone that has less health than i do, why the hell do i die first? could that have anything to do with ping? or am i just a bad player? i had the same problem on xbox live last night too captain slow.

Its the TIME dasilverfox, look at the time.

Try that ping test again at 7-11pm tonight...gernally 9pm will be the worst

Id guarantee its not the same

448778474.pngsurprise surprise no word from the engineer. i'm just not paying the bill. **** them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

iv never seen so many people bitch about one thing its quiet funny actually,dont pay your bills and you will be brought to cour and will have to pay more and in fairness to eircom if tou look at the advertisements they say up 1mb up to 3mb up to 7mb,dey never gurantee you will get the full speed it all depends on your line and distance from your exchange,im on the 3mb bundle and this is what im geting and i couldnt be more satisfied,iv never had a problem with my broadband and it works fine when im playing cod4 on xbox
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/448939978.png

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭son.of.jimi

448944855.png

3MB Package. exchange is outside my house :D!

I.m in Kilcullen, Kildare

But this morning I only had 250kb down and .4kb up. . . . . EIRCOM = Fail

i think you're in the wrong forum sexmag. you should be in the eircom employee lick arse section. i've had eircom bb for 2 years my 7mb speeds were consistent til 16 march when my speeds went down to dial up speeds. that's less than 1mb, get it now? so i was once a happy customer like you. the only time i can sign in to xbox live or psn is after midnight sometimes. so you find it funny. i just pray the same thing happens to you. now that would be really funny. for me thats speeds UP TO 7MB NOT UP TO 1MB. you getting it yet? now go back and read all the posts CAREFULLY AND SLOWLY. P.S. don't you worry about me getting brought to court ya simpleton.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

i think you're in the wrong forum sexmag. you should be in the eircom employee lick arse section. i've had eircom bb for 2 years my 7mb speeds were consistent til 16 march when my speeds went down to dial up speeds. that's less than 1mb, get it now? so i was once a happy customer like you. the only time i can sign in to xbox live or psn is after midnight sometimes. so you find it funny. i just pray the same thing happens to you. now that would be really funny. for me thats speeds UP TO 7MB NOT UP TO 1MB. you getting it yet? now go back and read all the posts CAREFULLY AND SLOWLY. P.S. don't you worry about me getting brought to court ya simpleton.

simpleton i think not,im just glad my connections not as bad yours so i don't end up a pissy,winey little bitch,you can pray to the broadband gods to screw up my connection but my firewire connection to hell is unbeatable and im not here to continue an online fight with you its pointless though as an xbox gamer i do hope yours gets better because it would be infuriating to have your ass handed to you by koreans because of your lag,i have been there before it sucks

• Advertisement

i had speeds better than you once. you're right about not having an online fight. i think you'll find that's whiney not winey. i rightly should complain about bad service, cos thar's what i'm getting. koreans? what are you on? it's eircoms failure to provide a decent service to their customers what's wrong here. you've no problem with eircom, so why are you even here? the end. P.S. I DON'T WANT YOUR ****TY 1MB CONNECTION. that's my point. i want my 7mb back that i'm paying for leatherlugs.

Advertisement