Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone + Meteor = "No Service" !

• 16-03-2009 9:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

Do you have this problem with your unlocked 2G or 3G iPhone? This "No Service" message problem has become a big problem for many iPhone users, more 3G users than 2G user I have found in the last 2 months.

It seems to correspond with the release of 2.2.1. I'm trying to work out the cause of this problem, is it Meteor, or is it a location problem? :confused:

If you've experienced this problem and managed to solve it please let me know how you did...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭20goto10

Do you have this problem with your unlocked 2G or 3G iPhone? This "No Service" message problem has become a big problem for many iPhone users, more 3G users than 2G user I have found in the last 2 months.

It seems to correspond with the release of 2.2.1. I'm trying to work out the cause of this problem, is it the 2.2.1 version or is it Meteor, or is it a location problem? :confused:

If you've experienced this problem and managed to solve it please let me know how you did...
    I get this with O2 on a jailbroken iPhone. I'm using yellowsn0w to unlock. It happens everytime I turn it off and on which is a bit annoying. It's easily solved though, you need to reset the iphone by holding down the home button and the sleep button at the same time. Keep holiding it until the screen flashes, turns off and turns back on again. It should then pick up your service as normal.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭20goto10

Just noticed you said version 2.2.1. Did you upgrade the firmware via iTunes? If you did then you've been stung, This permanently upgrades your baseband to 02.30.03. Yellowsn0w will not work with this baseband.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Columba Rad

20goto10 wrote: »
    Just noticed you said version 2.2.1. Did you upgrade the firmware via iTunes? If you did then you've been stung, This permanently upgrades your baseband to 02.30.03. Yellowsn0w will not work with this baseband.
    No, I do not own an iPhone. I've know about the baseband issue weeks, I was one of the first to post it on Boards.ie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I'm on 2.1 the last 6 months or so and have no problems with the iPhone on Meteor.

Won't dare update to 2.2.1. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Columba Rad

Al O'Peica wrote: »
    Won't dare update to 2.2.1. :)

Just to clarify, I'm not talking about using Meteor with an iPhone with 2.2.1, because that wouldn't be possible without a turbo/x/rebel etc sim.
    Al O'Peica wrote: »
    I'm on 2.1 the last 6 months or so and have no problems with the iPhone on Meteor.
    What part of the country are you? & which version of yellowsn0w did you use when you did the unlock?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

What part of the country are you? & which version of yellowsn0w did you use when you did the unlock?

Sorry, I should have clarified.

I am on 1st Gen iPhone, Meteor, mostly used in Dublin City Center.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭3DataModem

I've used 3g iPhone with meteor without issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I tried to update (3.0.something) to iOS 4, I backed it up first.

When trying to update it it didn't go past step 'release power button' so is stuck in recovery mode.

My brother fixed it for me.
    Now in general-> about it states ‘version 4.2.1.
    My meteor wont’ work with my iphone- it states ‘no service’ in the top left hand corner (where the carriers name goes)

I saw these article http://blog.iphone-dev.org/ from these links- http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=59445837 and http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=58815608#post58815608

Can I get meteor to work with it?
    If not, would another carrier (O2 or Three) work with it?
    Or is it 'bricked'? If so will there be a fix 'down the line' for it?
    Cheers,
    pa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Jakmeehan

dinneenp wrote: »
    I tried to update (3.0.something) to iOS 4, I backed it up first.

When trying to update it it didn't go past step 'release power button' so is stuck in recovery mode.

My brother fixed it for me.
    Now in general-> about it states ‘version 4.2.1.
    My meteor wont’ work with my iphone- it states ‘no service’ in the top left hand corner (where the carriers name goes)

I saw these article http://blog.iphone-dev.org/ from these links- http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=59445837 and http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=58815608#post58815608

Can I get meteor to work with it?
    If not, would another carrier (O2 or Three) work with it?
    Or is it 'bricked'? If so will there be a fix 'down the line' for it?
    Cheers,
    pa.
    What model is it?
    Is it carrier/factory unlocked or were you relying on ultrasn0w?

No, it's not bricked.

Jakmeehan wrote: »
    What model is it?
    Is it carrier/factory unlocked or were you relying on ultrasn0w?

No, it's not bricked.

Hi,
    Sorry for the info I didnt include:
    Phone is unlock and jailbroken.
    My brother used pwnage and redsnow.
    The os is 4.2.1.
    Phone is 3G, model no A1241 (from back of phone), MB489B (from settings).
    Could my problem that it's upgraded to os 4.2.1 from 3.0?

Thanks again. If anyone can help me fix it I'll buy you a pint or two if we ever meet!

• Advertisement

new update: I tried with an O2 sim and got the same error.
    Would this be cos it was upgraded from OS3 to OS 4.2.1?

new update: I tried with an O2 sim and got the same error.
    Would this be cos it was upgraded from OS3 to OS 4.2.1?
    Again, was it unlocked officially or ultrasn0w unlocked?

It looks like it was ultrasn0w unlocked; by updating to 4.2.1 you broke the unlock. There is a possibility to re-unlock but it's risky.

Again, was it unlocked officially or ultrasn0w unlocked?

It looks like it was ultrasn0w unlocked; by updating to 4.2.1 you broke the unlock. There is a possibility to re-unlock but it's risky.

cheers. So I can wait (who knows how long) or go with the risky upgrade.

cheers. So I can wait (who knows how long) or go with the risky upgrade.
    Or get it unlocked legitimately ;)

Or get it unlocked legitimately ;)

Is that possible and would it fix the issue for me? I would have thought not?
    to get it unlocked legitimately I'd have to contact O2 and ask them to do it, which I presume they wouldn't seeing as I'm with Meteor.

If I got someone who is on O2 to phone up with my Iphone details, saying thy owned the phone then might that work?

But wouldn't I still have the issue that my phone is on os 4.2.1 and was upgraded from os3 so it won't work?

is it possible to 'reverse' the upgrade?

THANKS in advance!

Is that possible and would it fix the issue for me? I would have thought not?
    to get it unlocked legitimately I'd have to contact O2 and ask them to do it, which I presume they wouldn't seeing as I'm with Meteor.

If I got someone who is on O2 to phone up with my Iphone details, saying thy owned the phone then might that work?

But wouldn't I still have the issue that my phone is on os 4.2.1 and was upgraded from os3 so it won't work?

is it possible to 'reverse' the upgrade?

THANKS in advance!
    Yep it's possible in exactly the way you suggested. As long as they have spend over €180 credit (something around that figure).

It will work without a problem on 4.2.1! Doesn't matter what you upgraded from. If you still want to downgrade you can do so by simply restoring to an iOS 3.x IPSW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭O2_Sheena

Hi, I can unlock your iPhone for you, just send me a PM with the IMEI (found by dialing *#06# on the phone) and your phone number :)

The minimum top up requirement to unlock a phone is €150.

Sheena
    O2 Ireland

PM sent on Friday- Waiting excitedly now.

O2_Sheena wrote: »
    Hi, I can unlock your iPhone for you, just send me a PM with the IMEI (found by dialing *#06# on the phone) and your phone number :)

The minimum top up requirement to unlock a phone is €150.

Sheena
    O2 Ireland
    HI,
    I'm wondering what's the story- haven't heard back in over a week?
    Cheers,
    Pa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭O2_Sheena

Sorry for the delay, I've replied to your PM there

• Advertisement
Advertisement