Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

be gorrah, Paddys Day and all that...

Options
  • 16-03-2009 9:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭

What is good around Sydney for the actual night?

I was in Hyde Park on Sunday, best one ever. The U2 cover band said they were playing somewhere Paddys Night, anyone remember where/ when? (memory is a bit hazy heh heh :) )

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭PhiliousPhogg

Just a thought,

I've been in a bunch of European cities for Paddy's and locals consistently took part in celebrations (bar Lisbon - that place is full of wackos let me tell you). And I know the yanks go mad for Paddys too. But in Hyde Park yesterday it was almost all Irish people, as far as I could see. Not many Aussies at all. Just a thought.

Seemed like a happy bunch while I was there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

the cock n bull is supposed to be pretty hectic paddys day/night if that place might interest ya, its in bondi junction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Just a thought,

I've been in a bunch of European cities for Paddy's and locals consistently took part in celebrations (bar Lisbon - that place is full of wackos let me tell you). And I know the yanks go mad for Paddys too. But in Hyde Park yesterday it was almost all Irish people, as far as I could see. Not many Aussies at all. Just a thought.

Seemed like a happy bunch while I was there though.

Noticed that myself. FFS it is the day when everyone is a bit Irish, except for the Italians and the gays, as Kent O'Brockman would say :)

But yeah, everyone was either Irish or seemingly the kids of Irish.
    Maybe it has a bad rep? My mates Aussie bird said she read about a few fights/ arrests this year, saw nothing in the media myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

a few of my mates were non Irish about 4 in 15 .. a good day was had by all

I seen zero fights yesterday - it would be naive to think no violence occurred
    but I would bet my hat that there was more violent incidences in Kings X on Saturday!

happy paddys day people, I'll drown the shamrock with a couple of mates after work today!

Too old for the all day bringe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Wellington was buzzing for paddy's day today and a huge proportion of them weren't Irish. Kiwis just like to celebrate it. A few people took the day off to go to the pub all day. I got emails from colleagues and suppliers wishing me a happy paddy's day. Somebody bought me a green bagel for breakfast and someone brought me out for a drink at lunchtime. We went to D4 on Featherston St and there was a band and Irish dancers and father ted playing on the plasma screens. The atmosphere was really lively and friendly. I kind of wish I'd taken the day off now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭PhiliousPhogg

Saw a lot of green around town today, of the large hat and jersey variety. Off to the Porterhouse in the Hills fort the night, a fine estabilishment indeed for a beverage or three. And I have the unusual luxury of taking tomorrow off if I want, yehoo be gorrah!

http://www.mickopedia.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭pclancy

watna wrote: »
    I kind of wish I'd taken the day off now.

Me too and what a scorcher! Would have been savage to be drinking on a balcony somewhere :mad: totally forgot to take the day off and make something of it.

I did however discover how to get out onto the heliport where I work :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

ive taken to working paddy's day, and taking the next day off :D

town was buzzing, and even by 8pm, there's queues 30people long waiting to get into the irish pubs. ha, one down from where i work had live music from 10pm, and when i passed at 3pm on my way back from work, it was already full.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

ive taken to working paddy's day, and taking the next day off :D

town was buzzing, and even by 8pm, there's queues 30people long waiting to get into the irish pubs. ha, one down from where i work had live music from 10pm, and when i passed at 3pm on my way back from work, it was already full.

I worked last night till 7 am Melbourne looked more like Dublin last night.

If anyone hears a story of some poor bloke pulling his full suitcase down wurundjeri way @ 4.30 towards the docklands , their not lying almost ran him over as I have never encountered a pedestrian there???

Advertisement