Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any Survivalist / Preperations People?

• 15-03-2009 1:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

i read a fair bit about survival techniques and i know how to hunt etc, also have some useful gear for this type of thing

i wouldnt be one of those nuts though, as in i dont actually want something bad to happen but ive always just had an interest in this type of stuff anyway

plan for the worst and hope for the best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭M@21

What exactly are you preparing for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭M@21

FreeEnergy wrote: »
    Hi,

I think it pays to prepare for many things.
    From car insurance to buying enough loo roll.

The world as it is I think it's worth thinking about all eventuallities.
    I'm not talking of extreme measures here, more common sense.
    Based on what we have to loose i think it's worth a small investment of time and money.

See here...Who next?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cJNEeI-lFM

M.
    So you are trying to avoid tent city by stockpiling common foodstuffs etc.
    Is this because you think the worst is yet to come?

I would forget the car insurance and look into a strong sturdy (very waterproof) tent, just in case.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Shame the thread got hijacked by 'Funny' posters, laugh a minute init.

this is an interestin and important topic, we've discussed it here before, the best way to be prepared is to hone up on your skillset, learn to camp & Hunt, fish, grow your own crops, try building and making more of your own stuff, othin like sittin on the deck loungin on a daybed you made eatin some Crisps made from Potatoes and chillies and Sunflower oil that you grew in yer own garden whilst sippin on a cold beer that you brewed yerself, all the time smugly knowin that you can generate and maintain a supply of power to it indefinitley, also gloatin about these things on a satelite broadband connection.

If you decide to go and hide in the mountains like those lads in the states then you open yerself up to ridicule and scorn and ultimatley hatred and reprisals if you are right in your stockpiling.

if you improve your skillset so that you are more capable of surviving should the whole world collapse on its arse next tuesday, then worst case scenarios, teh world ends andf you and your loved ones survive
    or
    the world dosent end in our lifetime but you are a much more rounded individual with some interestin hobbies, and skills that will be in demand in a normal situation, carpentry, mechanics, electronics, Farmin, Brewin

Aksherly,
    BEER
    learn to brew beer and people wont canabalise you, they may hold you prisoner in a brewery and force you to make Beer allday :eek: but they at least wont eat you till they themselves know how to make beer, if you keep them drunk enough they will never figure it out and you can be their leader

could be worse tho I knew a guy who could make a Petrol substitute from Pig Poo, I'd be keepin that one quiet ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Ok folks, I've tidied this thread up. Any more pisstaking will results in infractions/bans.

FreeEnergy, if you have a problem with any posts please use the report post function report.gif rather than deleting all your posts - it messes up the thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭FreeEnergy

You would think that a country that has gone through one of the worst
    depressions in history would have a greater interest in preparing for the next one. That of course is second fiddle to avoiding one in the first place.
    But it seems no one is going to do that either.
    Ridicule me and others all you like, but for your own benefit READ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Okay I take your point that we should be better able to look out for ourselves. But since most people live in cities and have no land and little space how can they possibly do most of the things that were suggested?

And when exactly was the last time our society collapsed and we went into a Mad Max esque world?

Hi,

Yes true , its more difficult in towns and cities but even if someone is
    aware that there is a problem, they are in a better position than most.
    One option is good where ever you are, learn more, do more.
    I think we should all know how to grow food and cook it.
    Basic stuff, not looking for Rambo here.

Regarding MadMax,
    I hope we never see anything like that.
    There are a lot of people (mostly american) that do beleive that will happen.
    But the key word is believe. They have no evidence or credentials to support their opinions.

We only need three things to maintain a modern society.
    Food, Energy & Money.
    All I am saying is that..
    A year ago most people would not have beleived the mony would be in trouble. So maybe think about the other three.
    We know for a fact that oil has 20 years max.
    So in the long term we will have a major adjustment to make.
    Oil is the backbone of modern society. Without burning those
    400 million year old calories, we'd have to burn our own.

I was fortunate to be able to start educating myself a number of years ago. If the world turns up rosey then i'll have wasted some time learning things i didn't use. But there are worse things to waste time on.
    If you watch 4 hours of soaps that's 208 hours a year.
    You could do a year in any course with that time.

meglome wrote: »
    Okay I take your point that we should be better able to look out for ourselves. But since most people live in cities and have no land and little space how can they possibly do most of the things that were suggested?

survivalists would tell you to move out of the city, at least a full tank of petrol away from your nearest city, or else live in the city but have somewhere else to go which meets these conditions
    meglome wrote: »
    And when exactly was the last time our society collapsed and we went into a Mad Max esque world?

it has happened at various times around the world

Link

i know its wikipedia but you can check their references if thats not suitable enough

We know for a fact that oil has 20 years max.

No we dont

• Advertisement

Do you have to run out of something to be unable to buy it?

Is there any difference at that point?

but you say we know for a "fact", could you back this up with something or admit its not fact?

Hi,

Well Peak oil is well documented.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peak_oil

That web site states a decline will begin in 2020.

But unfortunatly my main source is myself.
    I worked in Oil for sometime.
    The worst kept secret in oil is the fact that the Sauds have been lying about their reserves for years.

Alternatively
    We have here a story in the Independant giving the peak at 2011.
    http://www.independent.ie/world-news/scientists-warn-that-oil-will-start-to-run-out-in-four-years-time-701870.html

Oil will never truley run out.
    First it will become expensive.
    Then VERY expensive.
    At some point joe public won't be able to afford it.
    When that happens we may as well have none.
    Russia has already overtaken Saudi in terms of oil exports.
    And their fields are no where near as good as the saudis were.
    The more you take out the less preasure you have.
    The less preasure you have the slower it comes and so on.
    Mnay people thinl that oil is in giant lakes.
    But for the main part it's not.
    It's inside the rocks and has to be extracted using various complex processes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

indough wrote: »
    survivalists would tell you to move out of the city, at least a full tank of petrol away from your nearest city, or else live in the city but have somewhere else to go which meets these conditions

Don't think there's anywhere in Ireland that more than a full tank of petrol away from the next, best to move to an island.

yes i know all about 'peak oil' but its far from a fact that we're anywhere near 20 years from it

its also widely believed that the idea peak oil is used by the petrochemicals industry to manipulate oil prices, not too far fetched an idea imo

Hi,

Well Peak oil is well documented.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peak_oil

That web site states a decline will begin in 2020.

But unfortunatly my main source is myself.
    I worked in Oil for sometime.
    The worst kept secret in oil is the fact that the Sauds have been lying about their reserves for years.

Alternatively
    We have here a story in the Independant giving the peak at 2011.
    http://www.independent.ie/world-news/scientists-warn-that-oil-will-start-to-run-out-in-four-years-time-701870.html

Oil will never truley run out.
    First it will become expensive.
    Then VERY expensive.
    At some point joe public won't be able to afford it.
    When that happens we may as well have none.
    Russia has already overtaken Saudi in terms of oil exports.
    And their fields are no where near as good as the saudis were.
    The more you take out the less preasure you have.
    The less preasure you have the slower it comes and so on.
    Mnay people thinl that oil is in giant lakes.
    But for the main part it's not.
    It's inside the rocks and has to be extracted using various complex processes.

ok. So not a "fact".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭time lord

I worked out before how long it would be before I would break the law if civil society broke down. I with 5 mouths to feed would last 3 week maximum. Then it would be a free for all.

feck that, i wouldnt wait about at all

first thing would be to find some weapons, then steal as much food and other resources as you can then invade someones gaff in the middle of nowhere

as soon as society breaks down all rules are out the window if you want to survive

indough wrote: »
    feck that, i wouldnt wait about at all

first thing would be to find some weapons, then steal as much food and other resources as you can then invade someones gaff in the middle of nowhere

as soon as society breaks down all rules are out the window if you want to survive
    True only I guess the breakdown would not be overnight and would be marked by differant experiences and happenings for people whether individual or in a village or rural setting. The grab all syndrome would be first to flourish but as for arms etc. you will be behind everyone else on this and those with them wont part with them. Every idea you think of will have been thought of by someone else. Strength would be in numbers but outside the state bodies this would be very hard to forge and practice without a command structure. This would need leaders and as Brendan Behan would say lets organise a split.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

jeez listen to yourselves, breaking the law, invading someones homes, good to see that civilization hasn't tempered our primate barbarity. :rolleyes:

The best way to ensure survival and happy times, if everyone was canny enough to accept it, is not to go down the pathological monkey see monkey do dog eat dog route, but to undertake co-operative action to rebuild functioning communities/societies based on justice, equality and democracy.

• Advertisement

jeez listen to yourselves, breaking the law, invading someones homes, good to see that civilization hasn't tempered our primate barbarity. :rolleyes:

The best way to ensure survival and happy times, if everyone was canny enough to accept it, is not to go down the pathological monkey see monkey do dog eat dog route, but to undertake co-operative action to rebuild functioning communities/societies based on justice, equality and democracy.
    You would last 5 minutes.

time lord wrote: »

Probably but I like living, rather than surviving. Some needless chest beating going on in this thread. Plus there is no justification to attack others in order to ensure your own survival. Its morally repugnant. Believe it or not there are some things more important than your own patch of grass, dignity, respect and so on. If you're so willing to sacrifice those things then you never really believed in them in the first place. What you're espousing is the result of indoctrination by the system, to look out for number one at all costs.

You'll find most people will gravitate towards stability and solidarity as these qualities are, evolutionarily speaking, advantageous to human survival. But the survivalist apocalypse nightmare is unlikely to occur and more than likely not in the way you imagine. By all means stock up on tinned food, research survivalist techniques and defend yourself but there are two things that are really bad in such a situation---mob rule through a "strong" leader with a napoleon complex and people turning on each other. One is socially regressive and people should know better, the other is much the same with added animalism and neither can be logically defended in an ethical sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

Living on fear, is just surviving. It's the most basic emotion of fight or flight. We should be gone beyond behaving like animals.

Living life, is actually been in the present and witnessing the reality now. It doesn't have to be about surviving and hanging off the edge like our governments want us to be.

They are doing this so they can live off our slavery and expenses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Veni Vedi Vici

time lord wrote: »

I think you'd last shorter tbh. Civility and communal decency might just have a fews cans of 'whoop-ass' with your name on them.

There's a difference between a miltant revolt and complete anarchy. I'd shoot a criminal citizen to our country sooner than I'd unjustly steal or rape another citizen. Revolt <> Anarchy

WoooHoooo

See we moved on to rape and murder fierce quick

Thats why its a good idea to learn how to brew beer,

how do you expect to control a Sober Baying Mob?

I still think that regardless of the breakdown of society happenin or not, havin a few extra skills under yer belt will do you no harm, unless you try makin yer own Gunpowder and Explosives, which could quite possibly cause you harm :eek:

I still think that regardless of the breakdown of society happenin or not, havin a few extra skills under yer belt will do you no harm

Exactly.

So what sort of skills do people think we should have?

6th wrote: »
    Exactly.

So what sort of skills do people think we should have?

Interesting question. I'd think that hunting, food preparation, food storge and little microbiology thrown in for good measure might be good for starters given the context of posts so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53 ✭✭marshyc

Hi, I watched a program on THE MAYAN CALENDAR and 2012 think i should start learning how to brew scary stuff :eek:
    :(

and you should also ask yourself why defining moments in history coupled with worrying global economic and political trends happening right now tie in so neatly with the lead up to the 2012 date. All the Indian tribes know there is a fundamental shift coming, be prepared.

• Advertisement

All the Indian tribes know there is a fundamental shift coming, be prepared.

Are they making out that the shift will be good or bad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,343 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Which Indians are these?

King Mob wrote: »
    Which Indians are these?

I second that.

Which Indians are these?
    Mayans, south American

and all the random obscure ones too

They don't specify, only that it will be the dawning of Aqaurius. Things are looking bad now so maybe aliens will come down and save us from ourselves. The Mayans mention their gods coming from holes *black holes* in the sky. In Peru there are ground representations of such gods which look alien and which can be seen from high up. Also Mayan religion is cosmic in origin, in the respect that they say their gods came from space. According to legend they made humans in their own image, with super powers, but seeing them as a threat they then reduced their intelligence and telepathic abilities.

and all the random obscure ones too

They don't specify, only that it will be the dawning of Aqaurius. Things are looking bad now so maybe aliens will come down and save us from ourselves. The Mayans mention their gods coming from holes *black holes* in the sky. In Peru there are ground representations of such gods which look alien and which can be seen from high up. Also Mayan religion is cosmic in origin, in the respect that they say their gods came from space. According to legend they made humans in their own image, with super powers, but seeing them as a threat they then reduced their intelligence and telepathic abilities.

Isn't this the plot from Stargate as well?

• Advertisement

Seriously dude, google this stuff, its all true and real

Seriously dude, google this stuff, its all true and real

I have and most of it is complete lunacy.

is this lunacy

Peru.gif

from this

http://www.crystalinks.com/mayangods.html

"extraterrestrial Gods who came to earth and made man in their own image. When they first created man, he was perfect, living as long as the gods and having all of their abilities. Fearing their 'creation', the gods destroyed them. In the next evolution, a lower form of entity was created, 'human', as he exists today. Within Mayan culture they have legends of visiting Gods from outer space. As in all creational myths, religions, and prophecies, the gods promise to return one day."

you cant say they where not highly advanced so who knows whats around the corner :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

IN-YOUR-OPINION

• Advertisement

is this lunacy

Peru.gif

from this

http://www.crystalinks.com/mayangods.html

"extraterrestrial Gods who came to earth and made man in their own image. When they first created man, he was perfect, living as long as the gods and having all of their abilities. Fearing their 'creation', the gods destroyed them. In the next evolution, a lower form of entity was created, 'human', as he exists today. Within Mayan culture they have legends of visiting Gods from outer space. As in all creational myths, religions, and prophecies, the gods promise to return one day."

Yes, putting it bluntly yes it is lunacy

But hey please provide some kind solid verifiable evidence that the mayan gods are aliens.

lol. Can you support this with reasons?

lol. Can you support this with reasons?
    The lack of evidence supporting fantastical claims about the nature of the Mayan gods?

What exactly are you basing the belief that the Mayan god are aliens on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭dbyrne

have had a basic back up plan for years, where to go, what to take, how to get there etc. dont know why but it came up years ago i think starting with sellafield etc. its a very good plan, very well thought out that I would love to share but cant. i need to learn a few skills, hut building, hunting, to help with it. thank god for ray myres. 1 thing i need is someone who can make medicines, thats my main missing piece.

dbyrne wrote: »
    1 thing i need is someone who can make medicines, thats my main missing piece.

Plenty of unemployed or underpaid biochem grads out there at the moment I'd say... ;)

Good question 6th

I think we need to focus on a concept, rather than any single skill set, problem solving and self sufficency.

to give an example

last night I was interupted in my vegetating state on the sofa by some flashin orange lights

turns out it was an RACQ van

some numpty got a flat tyre and called the RACQ to change it for him.

these are the people that would not last five minutes.

I think it would be interestin to get a list of people hobbies and activities that they feel improve their skill set, so that we may all have a look at the list and see what we didnt think of

i agree, skill sets have to be divided, people need also to know a a bit of everything. anyone know what type of skill would be need/would list
    - hunting - setting traps etc
    - gathering - what foods are same/what are not - what to plant, how to grow etc
    - huts - how to build huts, all weather etc
    - tool - tool making, saws, axes, knives,
    - boats/rafts/nets
    - medicines - using natures medicines
    - motors and electrics - how to get engines etc working after seizing, rusting etc, get radios working for communication
    - fuels - how to make petrols/diesels/oils etc from alternative sources
    - beer/ferment - how to brew beer/alcohol, you may laugh but it is good for anestesia and cleaning wounds

thats just alittle list i believe in so fa, any other ideas

Sound enough list dbyrne shouldn't we have mention of something militant?

military is something that i kind of stayed away from for obvious reasons - ever seen TV series Jericho - like a mini bible for this stuff
    - you need a command structure, chaos is bad, structure is good
    - basic set of laws, would be really helpfull if someone brought a pocket book with them written down instead of making them up so we dont end up in a mad max situation
    - defense - how to defend yourselves, weapons, hand to hand, create weapons and traps etc
    - attack - create weapons to attack, mobilisation, guerrila tactics, formations for large scale if you get into group situations, one town fighting others for resources etc
    - weapons - also need seperate topic if, create mortors, gun cartridges etc, if no guns etc make bows, long bow worked very well for england for hundred of years
    -animals - people dont like to think of animals but trained dogs do alot of damage, horses is trained right can break up large crowds as them stamp them and push them out of the way, birds for messages etc, no i am not being mad but what happens of you have no electricity
    - runners - rome used them years ago as did most civilistions as these are used to carry messages, very important
    - location - must be defenceable, have natural resources, shelter, water, clear sight, etc
    hows this so far?

Ah, thats much more like it.

It's always interesting to consult the vererable wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivalism
    The specific preparations made by survivalists depend on the nature of the anticipated disruption(s), some of the most common scenarios being:
    1. Natural disaster clusters, and patterns of apocalyptic planetary crises or Earth changes, such as tornadoes, hurricanes, earthquakes, blizzards, and severe thunderstorms, etc.
    2. A disaster brought about by the activities of mankind: chemical spills, release of radioactive materials, nuclear or conventional war, or an oppressive government.
    3. General collapse of society, resulting from the unavailability of electricity, fuel, food, and water.
    4. Monetary disruption or economic collapse, stemming from monetary manipulation, hyperinflation, deflation, and/or worldwide economic depression.
    5. Widespread chaos, or some other unexplained apocalyptic event.

• Advertisement
Advertisement