Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any Survivalist / Preperations People?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭dbyrne

you must remember that people who use technology, etc most are the ones that will fall the hardest. those who dont are ready and waiting to rule theworld. for example the russians couldnt beet thaf afganis because the couldnt trap them. same problem the americans are having, the afganis have the basics and guns so they can move and hit and disappear etc, america has large forces to move, large chain of command etc, thats why sleeper groups etc do so well because they can think on their feet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Veni Vedi Vici

Yep. After the failure of the Easter Rising we ourselves resorted to guerilla warfare. Nasty but effective depending on your knowledge of the land.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

dbyrne wrote: »
    you must remember that people who use technology, etc most are the ones that will fall the hardest.

You mean those that rely on technology most, surely?

Using technology is all well and good, as long as you can get by without it.

yes rely on technology would be the main point, should have been clearer, but also use, alot of young people wouldnt know what to do if they didnt have a tv/internet/radio/lighters/carving knives/electricity etc, i am in that class as well, a loss of technology would be a big hit on my life also,

one the medicines front does anyone know how long a pack of panadol stays in date, i know they have 2 - 3 years date, but would they be still good in 5 years for example. Also iodine and iodine tablets, anyone got a good supply?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

yes rely on technology would be the main point, should have been clearer, but also use, alot of young people wouldnt know what to do if they didnt have a tv/internet/radio/lighters/carving knives/electricity etc, i am in that class as well, a loss of technology would be a big hit on my life also,

If they don't know what they'd do without it, then they rely on it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Two things to add to the thread. A possible useful website is http://sickcity.org/

Also, shelter, transport, fuel, etc. All of this can be achieved with a yacht. You could hide out in the woods or city ruins, or you could clear off to sea and move yourself and others to safety. Sailing is the one vital survival skill that very, very few people learn. There are thousands of yachts (and motorboats) lying ready to go in the harbours and marinas all around the coast.

your only problem here is i dont want to live in a real life water world!!!!.
    wold drinking water/heating/fuel not be a problem, and im sure that piracy would become a big problem as people struggle for food etc and control

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

meglome wrote: »
    Okay I take your point that we should be better able to look out for ourselves. But since most people live in cities and have no land and little space how can they possibly do most of the things that were suggested?

And when exactly was the last time our society collapsed and we went into a Mad Max esque world?

About 70 years ago when a one testicled Austrian went on the rampage if you're talking about Europe. If you're talking about Louisiana, Cathrina. If you're talking about the Third World: today, yesterday, tomorrow and probably next week as well.

I wouldn't be a survivalist nutter, not by a long shot, but I believe in having a couple of boxes of cartridges for the shotgun and the rifle and some fuel for the cooker on top of a good sharp knife. Think it daft but when the place goes bananas for a little while at least I think I might have half a chance to sing it out without too much trouble while the powers that be get their act together.

meathstevie i have to agree with you on having the basics
    For anyone who has read this thread and think thatpeople with plans are nutters i ask you do any of you have plans if for example the little things happen
    - ESB goes on strike? - has happened several times in the past
    - Russia reduces the GAS again or Bord Gas goes on strike
    - we have an oil shortage?
    do you have spare bulbs/batteries/fuel/cooking stoves. leave out weapons to defend yourselves or anything out that, do you have the basics in your attic or in you presses.
    if anyone of the above happens the delivery trucks cant get to the shops to deliver the food, clths etc
    - no electricity means no computers, no cooking, no tv, companys cannot invoice the shops for stock, shops cannot sell stock as all the prices are kept on computer,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

and you should also ask yourself why defining moments in history coupled with worrying global economic and political trends happening right now tie in so neatly with the lead up to the 2012 date. All the Indian tribes know there is a fundamental shift coming, be prepared.

The ruling elite know this knowledge, so do all you can to gain sense of the current shift.

Important point, and valid to this thread. The world may tumble down. the devil might appear in the skies, but you can take flight, as this is our universe and there really is nothing to fear.

We are becoming creative multi dimensional beings.;) I really and truely believe that this shifting is really changing our world even now. I feel we are becoming more connected and open to the new connections that seem to be made through our existence unconciously. It is in my belief that we have a destiny. Whoever created us, maybe it's us, a part of us, but a higher form of conciousness is giving humanity a new begiining and a new direction.

The elite, are trying to keep on the survival reptillan mindset keep us duimb down and cot up in the reality they create. Like the Obama presidency. ROFL they make me laugh, as it's they who are reacting now. Power and corruption will phase out and the ruling elites that have been in control for the last 2,000 years will end. The royal family will disperse. The King of England will take the hiearchy and bring many surprises. These are radical claims, But this is my belief as what it is already happening. It's an interesting battle going on right now. I wonder if this awakening will really make power perish as we know it. Will humanity come a leap of faith? Will we finally learn from history and not to repeat it. Wil we a race that will evolve and go beyond earth? Will we be a race that wil shine amongst others in the universe.

It's your role and responsiblity now.

Tease this part of you, I suggest everyone to awaken their inner curiousity and soul.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

your only problem here is i dont want to live in a real life water world!!!!.
    wold drinking water/heating/fuel not be a problem, and im sure that piracy would become a big problem as people struggle for food etc and control

Civil or military unrest is unlikely to be worldwide, or even outside of a national border (think Balkans), so a waterworld comparison is totally unrealistic.

Boats have several large tanks capable of carrying hundreds of litres of water and also fuel. The wind is a free source of power for propulsion and also for electronic and electrics as is the sun. For heating, either onboard heaters or just head south! Water generators, solar panels and wind generators are standard kit on long distance cruising yachts (as is long range and/or satellite communications).

Piracy is unlikely to become a widespread problem realistically.

Seriously, people are crossing oceans every day in boats no longer then a bus, some even go round the world non stop. The ultimate survivalists...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

To all those who have mentioned hunting as an essential skill: What exactly would you hunt for in Ireland that would require much skill? Id imagine theres a lot more farm animals around the country than there is wild animals, and hunting down a cow isnt exactly a skill that requires much training

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 tatty banana

Would like to congratulate Free Energy on bringing this one up. I've been 'on one' about this for a few years now. I wanted to move my family to a remote part of NZ on the grounds that there are places there where few people would find you once their tank of petrol had run out. Mostly if you try to bring this up as a serious topic, people will try to marginalise you because they don't really want to think about it and coming from an afluent western country they are used to a (probably entirely false) notion of security.
    As far as i can see the writing is right there on the wall. the earth and human society cannot sustain the out of control populations and the deluded greedy humans for too much longer. Mad Max is quite prophetic. Most people i talk too (who tend to be liberal hippies) think that it would be immoral in a break down of society kind of scenario to decide that you and your kids would be the ones to survive and to take steps to that end but if we dont then it will be the nastiest toughest and best armed who will inherit the earth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,343 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

I really don't think I can fault this boat idea.

Not only do you have the reasons above but you could also trade transport for supplies.

Works for every thing from Mad Max to Waterworld to zombies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

right so theres the mystical consensus reached

Lets build an Ark

• Advertisement

ceegee wrote: »
    To all those who have mentioned hunting as an essential skill: What exactly would you hunt for in Ireland that would require much skill? Id imagine theres a lot more farm animals around the country than there is wild animals, and hunting down a cow isnt exactly a skill that requires much training

Ducks, Swans;) Fishin is a type of huntin:)

what does Badger taste like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

Ducks, Swans;) Fishin is a type of huntin:)

what does Badger taste like.
    Cant imagine thered be enough swans or ducks around to act as a long term food source, i'l give you fishing but i doubt thats what anyone meant when they said hunting

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,356 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

We don't think survivalist. But we do live on a boat. We are self-contained with almost all we need. Just cast-off and sail away. Live off the ocean. Although the boat is a bit large for only two to handle, so we could use a couple of lads that know how to crew. And can say, "O Captain, My Captain" to me, ha!:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭FreeEnergy

REF Hunting:

As some have said Ireland is not the land of plenty when it comes to hunting.

Rabbits and Birds are all we have.
    A few deer wouldn't last a week if we all started looking for them
    Same can be said of the rabbits and birds.

In a really crappy scenario Ireland would be stripped of trees and wild life in a matter of months.

Better is the option of growing your own.
    Rabbit is a good option as they have fur coats and good meat.
    They eat greenery and are generally not too fussy.
    Being mamels they skin and prep easier than birds which take as
    many calories to prepare as you get from the meat.

Chickens are better alive than dead.
    Eggs are about 100 calories each and you'll get them for years.
    You would have to feed a domestic chicken for about 6 months to get
    enough meat from it to feed two people for one day.
    So it's a no-no.
    You would probably have to buy or worse, grow the feed too.
    Too many calories in, not enough out.

Trapping for wild rabbits is a low labour task and probably worth thinking about.

FE.

Hi again,

Ok here are my own opinions on skills i have leant and skills I would like to learn.

Done Already. (In no order)
    1. Trapping (most calorie efficient method of gaining protein.)
    2. Hunting (Bows, Fishing and Improvised weapons bola etc.)
    3. First Aid
    4. Growing Veg
    5. Rearing Animals including killing and preparing
    6. Wood Skills (Bow and trap making etc.)
    7. Carpentery (Roofing, Basic Furniture etc.)
    8. Chemistry (Made a start, not an expert by far.)
    9. Brewing (I don't drink but it's an excellent preservative and barter.)
    10. Foraging (Basics. Unfortunatly the farmers of Ireland have killed off all the indeginous foods and replaced them with grass and pine trees.

11. Energy (Hence the name. Making Energy from scrap for heat and cooking.)

Things I would like to know more about.
    1. Biology
    2. Shooting
    3. Thermodynamics (yeah i know.)
    4. Chemistry
    5. Engineering

Personally I think that all those skills are handy in life one way or another.
    So if everything comes up roses, and the world is happy and gay the worst
    that can happen is I have learned new skills.

FE.

• Advertisement

I agree that we need to draw a line on how much prep work we do.
    But surely a few hours is worth it?

http://www.emergencyplanning.ie/being-prepared.aspx

http://getprepared.ca/

http://www.ready.gov/

You will find this advice on every western governements web site.

I personally take it with a pinch of salt.
    It's all based on the fictional t€rrorist threat.
    But the advice is still a start, if a little basic.

FE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 balkanac

top tips for surviving the coming world food riots

NEVER RUN DURING A RIOT you will catch the attention of the food rioters who will give chASE and kill you

buy chlorine it can dilute some water making it drinkable

buy cans

have plastic bags lots of them

have 100 tin openers they can be traded in for more cans

dont talk too much hide your srvival food be prepared

dont forget to pray to god

You are certainly right to be thinking about learning to live without the system, we are all far too dependent on electricity, shops cars and the whole thing. we have an acre and chickens, bit of a veg garden but we depend on electricity to pump our water up for us. we're always down at the supermarket, can't think we would survive for long.
    What worries me though is that if you get your trip really seriously together, animals crops etc all the tools and equipment then unless you have a gun and are prepared to defend it all, someone bigger and meaner, or just someone with a gun, is going to come and take it, i mean there are going to be alot of desperate people around and we aren't going to just skip straight into a bartering sorted post apocalypse scenario. The point about there being nowhere in Ireland more than a tank of petrol away is a significant one.
    I share most peoples aversion to the american survivalist model of the mad old coot with the gun and the celler full of tinned food but i can see that it could be the only way to get through the first year or so.
    People don't want to consider it though do they? my friends hate it. they say but you wouldn't turn your friends away would you if you had food and they didn't? actually if i had to choose between my children and my friends then yes i would actually. they say they would prefer to starve with everyone else.
    But to really make a go of it I reckon you would need to be in a community of people, i don't think an individual or family would be able to survive alone.

Hi,

I agree that if things go to muc we'd better have a defence plan along with all the other plans.

However,
    There is a little good news.

Rep of Ireland has 70,273 Sq Kilometers
    Ireland population 4,156,119 (July 08)
    Thats a total of 0.016 Sq Kilometer Per Person

The UK has 242,900 Sq Kilometers inc NI and territories around the world.
    UK population is 60,943,912 (July 08)
    Thats a total of 0.0039 Sq Kilometer Per Person

Now both are not good, but you can see that Ireland has 4.1x more land per person than the UK. Moreover, the land here is useable for th emost part. The UK and many similar countries have build shopping malls on all their land.

Land size source - Wikipedia
    Population source - CIA

FE

Aquarius apparently dawned on the 13th/14th feb this year so let celebrate that as it is the beginning of a time of peace which is coming about due to a change in human conciousness.(I beleive the Mayans may refer to it as the Fifth world) Humanity coming out of a black hole!!!!!! (By the way i heared that astronamists have recently taken a photo of 2 giant black holes dancing together on the edge of our current extent awareness of the universe and they are causing ripples in space /time continuame).

and all the random obscure ones too

They don't specify, only that it will be the dawning of Aqaurius. Things are looking bad now so maybe aliens will come down and save us from ourselves. The Mayans mention their gods coming from holes *black holes* in the sky. In Peru there are ground representations of such gods which look alien and which can be seen from high up. Also Mayan religion is cosmic in origin, in the respect that they say their gods came from space. According to legend they made humans in their own image, with super powers, but seeing them as a threat they then reduced their intelligence and telepathic abilities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭espinolman

Here is a some ideas i have , if you have any sort of a decent garden fence it off , and get a few hens , they spend all day eating in the garden and then give you eggs every day and just give them some bread or whatever , also blackberries are loaded with vitamins and minerals , when they come out just pick tons of them and find out how to preserve or freeze them so you can have them all year round , there is lots of food sources out in the countryside such as you can make nettle soup and things like this but you would have to study up on it .

can anyone confirm when the actual

is :confused::confused::confused:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_aquarius

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Precession_(astronomy)

surely there is an identifiable point in astrology where it occurs, apparently from what I can read, ite either been the age of aquarius since the 60's, it'll be any day now, and its coming in 2025

so anyone know for sure?

I mean seriously if the EOtW is coming I'd like to be clued up, no point in havin all me crops ready in 2 months if Armageddon is 2 weeks :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 tbombzer

People all round the world live without food

http://breatharian.info/

So if your preparing for codex alimentarius the best thing would be learn to live without food...The cosmos dont need to eat no food so neither do u :)
    "Drink water out of thy own cistern" http://www.biomedx.com/urine/

The thing about Breatharians, they're either lying or dead.:pac:

Well it would seem to me that u didnt do any research on the people that were scientificly tested for 400-500 days living on nothing but water.... but yeah sure u wanna go down the route thats up to yeah amigo:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

tbombzer wrote: »
    People all round the world live without food

http://breatharian.info/

So if your preparing for codex alimentarius the best thing would be learn to live without food...The cosmos dont need to eat no food so neither do u :)
    "Drink water out of thy own cistern" http://www.biomedx.com/urine/

Sounds brilliant. i would like it to be true but if it is really possible why do people (and animals) starve to death? ok i'll look at the site.

but if you do feel the need to eat, beans are good. they're easy to grow and you can keep them through the winter, dry them in the pods, store them in jars and rehydrate them for stews etc. they have protein. good if you prefer not to kill animals
    ps what is codus alimentarius?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmrF9KjlGsc

Still not sure on this conspiracy.Pretty extreme altogether.

http://www.who.int/hpr/NPH/docs/who_fao_expert_report.pdf

So many docs to go through i dont know if i could be bothered:)

I just posted a thread called esoteric agenda really good documentary to watch if ya havent seen it already:P:P:P:P:P:P:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Kama

On WaterWorld survivalism, that well-known collapsitarian Dmitri Orlov has a imho sweet essay here

I like him for his peculiar mix of pessimism and constructive planning. Which to my mind is the (somewhat Gramscian) correct approach for those who are of the mentality. I'm firmly of the 3 square meals from barbarism school myself, which is why I'm pretty passionate about food security, as an insurance strategy if nothing else. Also why I always bring up Transition Towns at times like this, local economic resilience and capacity building, collective reskilling, community currency etc. It's a far more hopeful vision of the same future context than the lone wolf mad max approach. Don't like the global economy? Build your own!

Apropos of lone wolves, met a guy lately, ex-trader, ex-european civil servant, who is now encamped in the countryside awaiting the crash proper, having run to the proverbial hills. Equally, one member of my family did the same back in the 70's, and is still there. The trend is hardly new. On the upside, said pessimistic family member, roundly mocked for 30 years, is debt-free with healthy supplys of food and energy.

As to the security situation, individualist one-man-and-his-shotgun is just as unsustainable for anything other than a short-term, whether said man is a 'raider' or a 'villager', to use the old game theory terms. We are social animals, whether stealing or defending, groups are likely to be the rule. The monopoly of statist security seems more likely to dissolve into a more 'competitive' situation, whether market-based or more tribal, especially as state legitimacy collapses. Mind you, Ireland is small and anarchy unstable...

I'd agree with Free that the short-term panic is the scariest part. But if there are models of production running, it should be much shorter and easier. You can produce a hellah lot of food with a very small amount of land, done right, and chickens and rabbits are fantastic if you are non-veggie, or something like tilapia. The important thing is having some form of productive structure in place, as obligate consumers who cannot produce will be in a world of hurt.

tbombzer, the only breatharian I know personally went somewhat insane during it, lost a hideous amount of his body weight, was essentially incapacitated (he was a burly strong ox of a man) and was pretty much rescued and forced to take food because he was in a critical state. I'm all for fasting, medical and spiritual, and lowered food consumption, but I have yet to meet what i consider an honest and healthy breatharian. I don't actually consider it impossible, a high end yogi can go into a very low respiratory rate quite close to death, but Pranayama only goes so far.

Kama

Im not a breatharian myself but i only eat one small meal a day in the evening ,granted it seems quite extreme to not eat any food at all but at the end of the day food gets its energy from the sun just the same as us so if ya keep going back to the root factor of what sustains us its the sun thats why the gnostics that run the place worship the sun and call the common man useless EATERS.

Sun gazing is a method of anchoring and storing solar energy into the astral and phsical bodys so one can go without food.Would these yogi's,sufi's and budda's lie about this fact even though there whole life is based upon noble truths,I dont think so anyway.Its something ill have to expierience first before I go preaching to my mother but I think its totally possible it just was to be done in the right way.

Is that the fundamentals of breathenarianism? cos i cant think of any food that gets its energy only from the sun. The chain kind of starts with grass doesn't it? but that gets energy from the sun and the earth (Male/female yin/yang?) the earth; rotting stuff or (as the grass might have it food). Yes communities, towns in transition much better that the biggest stongest and best armed but have we got time? i mean, i reckon we are on the brink.......

Transition towns are a great way forward, I think we will find that the beginning of this will occur at the percieved end of the current system.

Breatharians eh? Look lads seriously, if you could get your energy directly from sittin around in the sun all day doing nothing why do so many people die of STARVATION in Africa every day????

I really hope that the world dosent come grinding to an apocalyptic end meself, but as I have been sayn here theskills thatare being discussed have far broader implications, for us all as people.

I supose its one of my Fanboi topics, but Growin yer own fruit and veggies is something we should all do, even if its only a planter box on the windowsiol of a bedsit witha few tomatoes/chillis/herbs. its very refreshing to eat something that you produced yerself, not just cooked but actually planted and tended and harvested.

we had another barbie last night, one of theguys was all 'Like ya know we really should have stopped at the shops to get something to marinate these steaks'

and Iwas all 'like no bother brother, check out me Birdseye and Rainbow Chillis, down there in the Garden betwen the spuds and the Corn, grab us some corn and a few Tomatoes when yer down there'

those chillis are Fvckin evil things tho, ring like the Japanese flag after em :)

we should do a 'how to' thread for all the useful bits of survival info

sure it's great to eat your own stuff and much more nutritious when it hasn't been sitting around on a shelf but come on seriously what if you had to depend on it? We are all thinking of it as some distant possibility sure it might happen but not right now........

Not at the position et where I can forgo the shops and eat exclusivley from the garden, dont think I ever would, but consier if there were a few more people in my area with small gardens each of us growin the things we like to eat and each one of us growin a 'cash crop' of some description, then the situation becomes a lot more sustainable, as we would also have the capacity to generate a modest income from our efforts.

alsoI mean something like lettuce or capsicum as the Cash Crop, not Marajuhanna orthe like M'Kay

tbombzer wrote: »
    Well it would seem to me that u didnt do any research on the people that were scientificly tested for 400-500 days living on nothing but water.... but yeah sure u wanna go down the route thats up to yeah amigo:rolleyes:

So you gonna back that up at all amigo?
    The way I see it the Breatharians never undergo scientifically controlled test to verify their claims.
    Have you anything to show otherwise?

Do you actually eat anything?

• Advertisement

Is that the fundamentals of breathenarianism? cos i cant think of any food that gets its energy only from the sun. The chain kind of starts with grass doesn't it? but that gets energy from the sun and the earth (Male/female yin/yang?) the earth; rotting stuff or (as the grass might have it food). Yes communities, towns in transition much better that the biggest stongest and best armed but have we got time? i mean, i reckon we are on the brink.......
    Allow me to introduce my friend: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chlorophyll

Something that allows plants to convert solar energy to nutrition.
    Something that humans definitely lack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

FreeEnergy wrote: »
    Russia has already overtaken Saudi in terms of oil exports.
    And their fields are no where near as good as the saudis were.
    They have now found ways to drill around rocks. Sounds cool, but also sounds desperate.

I still think we should go full nuclear, and run electric cars.

Dunno man, I've had fairly Green hue some evenins;)

thats a very good article Kama, if I had a bit of spare cash I'd invest it in a Clipper Ship. or if I only had a little bit of spare cash, a Galway Hooker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Kama

Ty Maha, I'm mildly fanboi for Orloff, I really like his style and attitude.

On the Breatharian thingy, the main survival advantage I'd be seeing is that if you miss a few meals you won't panic and freak out. You can greatly improve the efficiency of your digestive process with yoga etc, for sure, or get sweet health benefits by fasting for a period...but unless you're a ascended bodhisattva already,sticking with the tried-and-true human eating techniques is probably win :D

Advertisement