Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irishman killed by bus in Bondi - Any details?

Options
  • 16-03-2009 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭

Someone I know told me today that an Irishman was killed by a bus in Bondi last night (Paddy's day celebrations). Just in passing conversation.

I don't think it would be a baseless rumour but I can't find any reports about it. The guy may not have been Irish. It may not have happened.

Does anyone have any official details?

It would be a story of concern. You feel like you could meet anyone you know in Bondi. Feel free to delete/lock if baseless though.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,,25191776-5001021,00.html

Wasn't killed, survived after a fall towards a bus ... lucky lucky boy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Oh dear, the user comments on the bottom of that article aren't very nice. Guess they don't think much of the Irish!

Like aussies/kiwis/brits/inert other nationality here don't cause drunken trouble on nights out? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

watna wrote: »
    Oh dear, the user comments on the bottom of that article aren't very nice. Guess they don't think much of the Irish!

Like aussies/kiwis/brits/inert other nationality here don't cause drunken trouble on nights out? :rolleyes:

it comes from the news.com.au which is the rag of sydney
    they care more about Big brother than real news.

But saying that if this happened in Dublin on Aussie day to an Aussie guy
    I'm sure we'd see the same comments on AH

so I'd just ignore -

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

hussey wrote: »
    But saying that if this happened in Dublin on Aussie day to an Aussie guy
    I'm sure we'd see the same comments on AH

so I'd just ignore -

Yes akin to a German stealing a sun lounger, Japenese guy with lots of designer clothes, Swede with a Volvo, British guy on holidays with a 3 lions jersey, Italians with big sunglasses, Americans wearing matching green pants on holidays in Kerry. The list is endless.

Aussies are very similar to Irish in drinking habits as it is but the comment saying typical Irish leads me to wonder whether or not I should keep away from local bus's around my own area as being Irish I might typically fall beneath its wheels. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭PhiliousPhogg

That's a horrible shame what happened to the guy, drunk or not. Thanks for the link.

As regards the comments, I know the aussies can be big drunkards themselves, and they have the same controversies with alcohol sponsorship, teenage drinking, alcopops and general binge drinking as in Ireland. But there are pubs in Sydney like Scruffy Murphy's and Tea Gardens that are especially nutorious for large congregations and messy messy drunkenness, any time of the day, any time of the week (there was a queue for Scruffy's at 3pm today, 17th March). You have to see it to believe it really. Of course it doesn't represent all of the Irish, and there is plenty of good feeling in the pubs, but it's easy for the Aussies to be sneering and condescending towards the Irish when they witness that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Ritchi

I was around Bondi about an hour or two after it, the bus and police were still there. The rumour was that he was thrown out of the pub by the bouncers and landed in front of a bus. Whether it was the bouncers fault or not, that he landed there, I'm not sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

(there was a queue for Scruffy's at 3pm today, 17th March). You have to see it to believe it really.

Youre surely aware 17th march is Paddys Day?

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭PhiliousPhogg

nm wrote: »
    Youre surely aware 17th march is Paddys Day?

Yeah my point being two fold:

At any time of day in those pubs you're likely to find Irish guys who don't want to do anything else with their free time than drink, and drink heavily, and

Queuing to get into that kip is obscene. Paddy's Day or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

watna wrote: »

You probably know this already but it's hard to shake of the sterotype of a race that's being around for over a hundred years or so .

Advertisement