Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Study Tips

Options
  • 16-03-2009 10:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I was hoping for some advice/tips please.....

I am mid-way through a year long part-time diploma course, which will give me a qualification in the sector where I am working. I have an exam coming up shortly, but every time I sit down to study, I just can't seem to concentrate.

I'd be able to answer a question from one of the past papers, then after that my mind begins to wander, and I give up.

Has anyone got any study tips for me?

Thanks in advance....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Has anyone got any study tips for me?

You sound like me trying to study. :)

I find I work best in 10-15 minute bursts. Read, absorb, then write. Walk away for 5 (full) minutes, repeat.

I found it was important to write things down, summarise, then re-read.

Also, set yourself realistic goals. i.e. Today, I have two hours, so I will cover X topic. Don't go onto the next topic until you are happy with that topic.

And, as you said, past papers are a valuable resource to see how well you understand a subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Start a reflective learning journal. Sounds naff but it really does help concentrate your mind on what you're learning, how you are progressing and what areas need improvements. It takes awhile to get used to but it really has helped me.. and I've seen the effects of not using one (this semester). There is a huge difference.

Just type reflective learning journal in google and you'll get loads of results.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

I found a concrete plan to be really effective; and set goals and rewards in there in the form of decent breaks and such. I would study for ninety minute blocks then take a break for twenty minutes then spend ten minutes going over that I did during the previous ninety minutes. Rinse and repeat.

I guess about the best advice I can give is to try everything and see what works for you; because what works for one person will probably not work too well for you.

Advertisement