Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dismantled railway line to Clifden

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

churchview wrote: »
    JC,

Disappointed about your first no, but not surprised! As to the second no, great that the move of the CR&YC is not still on. I never coudl understand why it was being pushed so much. It seemed that there was a core group that just wanted it to go ahead and wouldn't let it drop.
    I have my theories on the motivation of certain movers and shakers but I'd rather keep them private for mine and Boards sake.

Needless to say, nothing has been learnt from the previous affair and there's talk of another heave.

My main concern about land for any notional pedestrian bridge lies not with the pillars themselves but either side, in particular NUI, G who are as rapacious as ever when it comes to land.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Zzippy wrote: »
    I know we're getting off topic, but what was the story with CR&YC moving/not moving? Are the college still trying to get them to move?

You're not really off topic. If the CR&YC moved it would definitely affect whether the railway bridge could ever be rebuilt or reopened.

I dunno about the CR&YC move. It seems to me that NUIG just couldn't have the cash to pay them to go at this stage. Having said that, they offered a laughably cheap deal to the CR&YC a few years ago and some in the Club were willing to snap it up.

I know a meeting was due to take place last week in the CR&YC to change the Club rules which would have made it easier to get the Club moved as the proposed new rules needed less people to agree. But the meeting was cancelled. I'm out of touch with what's happening in the Club now and would love to know if the move is still considered a possibility by some.

Robbo wrote: »
    I have my theories on the motivation of certain movers and shakers but I'd rather keep them private for mine and Boards sake.

I have what I suspect are exactly the same theories. What some of the "movers and shakers" mightn't realise is that an allegation or the appearance of bias on their parts might throw any decision to move, right into the hands of the lawyers, with the possible outcome that any decision to sell property might be set aside.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Lads, issues within the CR&YC are just that - issues WITHIN. If you're a member, leave it to the AGM or bring it up with the committee (good luck with that) - boards isin't the place for discussion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭fuzzsc00ta

drama! drama! drama!

A pedestrian bridge would've made my walk to college about 10 minutes shorter. But then again, I could do with the exercise.

How much would a bridge cost? Would €1 million be realistic?

If the pedestrian bridge at the Salmon Wier Bridge hasn't been built yet, I doubt this bridge has much of a chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

I have been down around that tunnel in Bohermore in the Summer time doing Missing Person searches. During the Summer most of the water has dried up. Homeless people sleep down around that area during the summer time. There is a lot of rubbish dumped in the tunnel and I would not suggest walking in there while that water is there. You could get your foot caught on a bicycle or trip on a stone/brick. If you do go bring somebody with you and tell people where you are going and when you will be back. Wouldn't like any accidents to happen.

Maybe we should open up a topic on Caves around Galway for those seeking adventures?

If people are to eager for a short-cut, just swim it :D

sgthighway wrote: »
    Maybe we should open up a topic on Caves around Galway for those seeking adventures?

Hell yeah!

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Lads, issues within the CR&YC are just that - issues WITHIN. If you're a member, leave it to the AGM or bring it up with the committee (good luck with that) - boards isin't the place for discussion

Fair enough, you've your point point of view. My point of view would be that boards is a great place to discuss matters in a free manner without having to worry about being personally quoted or taken up on something said. Was just fishing here for a bit of info because there seem to be a few people who have some knowledge. Also, the AGM being helpfully scheduled mid-week doesn't always help to disseminate knowledge about what's going on and frankly my experience with the Committee is that it can be well nigh impossible to get an answer that isn't clouded by some agenda.

fuzzsc00ta wrote: »
    drama! drama! drama!

A pedestrian bridge would've made my walk to college about 10 minutes shorter. But then again, I could do with the exercise.

How much would a bridge cost? Would €1 million be realistic?

If the pedestrian bridge at the Salmon Wier Bridge hasn't been built yet, I doubt this bridge has much of a chance.

The thing is, the stone pillars are already there and surely ( but I'm no Engineer), that must be the most expensive bit? If they were strong enough to take a train previously, maybe a survey would confirm if they are now strong enough to take pedestrian traffic.

As an aside, I recall being told that the scrap metal that was the bridge was sold for £50 (in the fifties). With the way steel prices have gone, that metal mightn't cost much more now!

• Advertisement

Fair enough, you've your point point of view. My point of view would be that boards is a great place to discuss matters in a free manner without having to worry about being personally quoted or taken up on something said. Was just fishing here for a bit of info because there seem to be a few people who have some knowledge. Also, the AGM being helpfully scheduled mid-week doesn't always help to disseminate knowledge about what's going on and frankly my experience with the Committee is that it can be well nigh impossible to get an answer that isn't clouded by some agenda.

That's grand, but the place you talk about is a club with it's own issues that is no business of anyone that isin't a member

Hence why I think a public forum isin't the place to discuss issues. If you're a member, talk about it with other members, not Joe Soap who has no affiliation with the place

Personally I wish someone would build a Marina on the Corrib somewhere - they'd make a fortune. A marina would be great because it would be a business - You pay your fee, you get your service... no politics or hidden agendas.. if only life was so simple

JohnCleary wrote: »
    That's grand, but the place you talk about is a club with it's own issues that is no business of anyone that isin't a member

Hence why I think a public forum isin't the place to discuss issues. If you're a member, talk about it with other members, not Joe Soap who has no affiliation with the place

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. I think that forums such as this are the perfect place to discuss matters such as this. In my opinion (and it's only my opinion), Clubs such as the CR&YC suffer from secrecy and "old boys" attitudes and a shake-up by being discussed, other than behind closed doors, is just what's needed. Joe Soap with no affiliation is just the perfect person who'll give a subjective view. My own direct family are involved in the Club since the 1930s and in-laws were among its founders in the 19th century, but in order to survive and continue to be relevant, it needs input from "outsiders" - (unfortunate word but you'll take my meaning).

"Personally I wish someone would build a Marina on the Corrib somewhere - they'd make a fortune. A marina would be great because it would be a business - You pay your fee, you get your service... no politics or hidden agendas.. if only life was so simple" Now that would be heaven but imagine trying to get the Navigation Trustees, Waterways Ireland etc. on board and trying to convince Galway City Council that it has nothing to do with them!

Now that would be heaven but imagine trying to get the Navigation Trustees, Waterways Ireland etc. on board and trying to convince Galway City Council that it has nothing to do with them!

Thanks to some law/rule/whatever you wanna call it, any construction is not permitted on the shores of the Corrib. This defo applies to houses, however i'm not sure about an amienity ie. Marina

Tell ya what though, if I won the Euromillions in the morning it'd be the first thing i'd be looking into

The Corrib Navigation Trustees - lets not go there

Waterways Ireland have no connection with the Corrib at all and never will (unless a canal is built between the shannon/corrib) which is a pitty as they actually do some really constructive work and being a Government (semi?) body means there's generally less politics - the jobs just get done

The only law that I'm aware of is that the foreshore to high water mark is state property and not owned by the land owner that owns land which extends to the foreshore i.e. you can't own the "beach", just the land that goes to the high water mark. Therefore, because it's state property over which everyone must be able to pass, you can't build on it. A way around this is to get a foreshore licence which is permission by the State to build/reclaim etc. but this can take years. A current problem is that several government departments are currently trying to dodge responsibilty for dealing with these, hence major delays on decisions on windfarms at sea.

Interesting about Waterways Ireland. I didn't know that they'd only jurisdiction over manmade waterways. Could they be convinced that they should "take charge" of the Friar's Cut and build a marina there? :D

You've taken me up the wrong way about Waterways Ireland. WI are responsible for Ireland's Inland Navigations. The Corrib is not considered an inland navigation since the closure of the canal to traffic. This is why WI are not responsible for the Corrib.

See the image here:
    mainmap.jpg

When I mentioned building a canal between the Corrib and Shannon as being the only way WI would take control of the Corrib, I meant that the Corrib would then be considered part of Irelands Inland Navigation, not that WI only control man-made waterways

I get you now about Waterways Ireland, appreciate you putting up the map etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭hacktavist

I miss when this thread used to be interesting. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

If you do go bring somebody with you and tell people where you are going and when you will be back. Wouldn't like any accidents to happen.
    Couldn't agree more. Now that I know the amount of rubbish that is in there, I would be inclined to wait until summertime. Even then, I'd still bring someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Couldn't agree more. Now that I know the amount of rubbish that is in there, I would be inclined to wait until summertime. Even then, I'd still bring someone.

Go one better and bring a dog like Lassie or Timmy from the Famous Five. Don't forget your torch :)

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭MaxFlower

Good idea, I would love some info on the Terryland River. I was once told it starts underground somewhere. Once I have a good look at the tunnel I might head off to explore the river

• Advertisement

There's also an old sewer that goes from near the Salmon Weir bridge up to where the Goal/Jail was. I think that it might have bars across it now. If you're coming over the bridge, on the town side, facing the courthouse, it's on the embankment down to the right.

There's also loads of tunnels under the town itself. Think there was a thread before about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭fuzzsc00ta

There's also loads of tunnels under the town itself. Think there was a thread before about them.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=52801361&postcount=125

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

That's a fantastic thread, all of it.

And it seems there's a whole pastime of UE, or urban exploration. Check out this account of breaking in to a powerstation to gain access to behemoth underground tail race tunnels beneath Niagara Falls.
    http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=5921

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

fuzzsc00ta wrote: »
    Why did you have to post that. I wasted ages in it.:mad:

Great thread. :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

wet-paint wrote: »
    And it seems there's a whole pastime of UE, or urban exploration. Check out this account of breaking in to a powerstation to gain access to behemoth underground tail race tunnels beneath Niagara Falls.
    http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=5921
    I love that site, take a look every once in a while. Have a look at the industrial sites like the Rover factory in Longbridge, there was a line of cars in various states of assembly and bits stacked all over the place. There is an Irish UE forum which escapes me and Abandoned Ireland is worth checking out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 galwayfeen

Robbo wrote: »
    I love that site, take a look every once in a while. Have a look at the industrial sites like the Rover factory in Longbridge, there was a line of cars in various states of assembly and bits stacked all over the place. There is an Irish UE forum which escapes me and Abandoned Ireland is worth checking out.

nice.....http://www.barelythereireland.com/

Got to go up and take a look into the tunnel this evening, aye it's fairly flooded, about two foot deep and you'd want thick waders indeed for it, there's an awful lot of ****e dumped there. I'll see if I can borow a pair, I don't want to ruin a drysuit snagging it on an old bike.
    The mood struck me as I was driving back in from Oranmore side, took a spin past Tyrone House and Ardfry, and went in to the latter, and got in underground there too, you can walk the length and breadth of the house. Was a tad nervous, as the roof had caved in in a few spots and it necessitated climbing over the rubble of the roof to get into the narrower parts, but it was very interesting. Took a few **** shots with the phone, which I should put up in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭muskyj

drove by ardfry at the weekend. really cool!! didn't go in but i plan to. would love to see those photos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 ellsbell

This thread is about 4 years old , but has been the most interesting to read! I went down to the tunnel today, its amazing, such a shame its not being used for something, it would make a great nightclub, and there would be no problem with sound! Did anyone manage to wade in the tunnel? I would love to know. It seemed fairly deep and full of crap so i had no intention of going in.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement