Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two couples buying house together

Options
  • 16-03-2009 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭

Is there anyone out there that has done this - where two couples (sans kids) buy a property together?

If so, did it work ok? Was it easier or harder to get approval? Is it considered a no-no by banks?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Banks might be OK with it but it's dangerous. It's tricky enough buying as a couple (cases pop up here all the time with horror stories about what happens if the couple break up), but with two couples in the mix it's much more likely, and what happens if one couple (or just one person) needs /wants to sell up, loses their job, etc etc.
    Renting is likely to be much less hassle, and would be a good chance to save for seperate deposits, you'd get a decent 3 or 4 bed house in Dublin for 1200-1500 a month.

That's just my advice though, if you/they're all set on it, then talk to a mortgage broker, I imagine if everyone's in a fairly stable job and an agreement can be drawn up about what happens if it all goes wrong, that the banks would be happy enough to loan/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

It sounds like a recipe for disaster to be perfectly honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭swanvill

Unless ye are related ie 2 sisters and their fellas, it would seem likely for something to fall apart. Just think about decorating and taste for instance. Even just one couple I would strongly recommend a co-ownership agreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Hmmm... might give it a miss so.
    Unless of course the perfect couple comes along. Though, no matter how solid the relationship, would still get papers drawn up at solicitors in case things go sour. It's always better to have things in writing & agreed upon before going ahead I guess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

Buying with one couple or relations these days is usually a recipe for disaster, just read any amount of sob stories on here.

Two couples is disaster^2.

• Advertisement
Advertisement