Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lack of upcoming UFC events

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

You mean UFC has gone back to its normal schedule?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

plenty of other events on to fill the gap

unfortunately they don't get aired here :mad:

although a quick google soon sorts that ;)

There is a new season of TUF starting soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

rovert wrote: »
    There is a new season of TUF starting soon.
    .........yay?:confused:
    Too many TUF seasons already.They really gotta take a break from it

.........yay?:confused:
    Too many TUF seasons already.They really gotta take a break from it

At least they are trying a new concept this time round.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

I will watch TUF to get my fix, but its a poor substitute.

I suppose its just a case of having been spoiled over the last couple of months with so many events

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

whats the new concept?

i seem to remember usa vs europe or something? is that it?

DRakE wrote: »
    whats the new concept?

i seem to remember usa vs europe or something? is that it?

yeah kinda usa vs uk

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Hellsing

One event per month is fairly standard. They normally have many more from November to March then they ease back for a while. If they had 25 + PPVs a year then the buys would go right down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Just like the old days. I imagine some Fight Nights to come too.

• Advertisement

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    Just like the old days. I imagine some Fight Nights to come too.

Next fight night is April 2nd, but as said about events above they really are spead out from now on over the next months.

A few other US promotions coming up like strikeforce , wec and the mma/boxing thing. Dream 7 was last week in japan and Sengoku next weekend. I really wish some of the channels would pick up some of these here as they really do deserve to be seen by mma fans, however cost vs numbers that would watch them would be another thing maybe.

Hellsing wrote: »
    One event per month is fairly standard. They normally have many more from November to March then they ease back for a while. If they had 25 + PPVs a year then the buys would go right down.

Yep in short you don’t want to over saturate the market.

UFC going by reports have a tiny staff and they have been completely and utterly over stretched the last few months.

On another but not unrelated point, how many fighters do the ufc actually have on their books and are fit and ready vs the number of shows they put on and fighters we regularly get a chance to see.

As rovert said over saturation is an issue, but surely there are many fighters getting ring rust so to speak? Id love to see them mix it up down the road and throw in an occasional tournament / GP but not sure if commissions etc and if even the ufc would even entertain the idea to do that again.

Sorry some random wondering / thinking out loud there

calex71 wrote: »
    how many fighters do the ufc actually have on their books

I remember reading that the optmium to UFC's current needs is like 160-180 fighters but they have more than that hence they will be cutting a few more fighters.
    calex71 wrote: »
    As rovert said over saturation is an issue, but surely there are many fighters getting ring rust so to speak? Id love to see them mix it up down the road and throw in an occasional tournament / GP but not sure if commissions etc and if even the ufc would even entertain the idea to do that again.

UFC are opposed to tournaments due to the unpredictably of them given all the additional variables involved mainly fatigue. US Commissions dislike them on health grounds. It seems the only way US Commissions would permit a tournament is if the three fights were one round each. They won’t allow fighters to fight more than one fight’s worth so to speak in any given night.

wow that was a lot more that I would have expected.

Are Dream still doing multiple fights for the later rounds of their gp's ??

You make a good point on injury / unpredictability if i recall hansen won last year @ dream after winning one of the reserve fights to get to the final.

Anyway my point being with that many fighters on the books its a shame to see them not put to work on a regular basis and i guess not just for the ufc, but i'd say its a major juggling act when you factor in the the cost of staging an event and over saturation and trying to break new territories to going with fighters that will pull the crowd etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

The UFC had about 250 fighters as of late 2008. Reducing this number to the targeted 160-180 number means alot of matches are likely to be "loser goes home matches". On the other hand, it opens up the talent pool for rival organisations looking to compete with the UFC.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

dunkamania wrote: »
    The UFC had about 250 fighters as of late 2008. Reducing this number to the targeted 160-180 number means alot of matches are likely to be "loser goes home matches". On the other hand, it opens up the talent pool for rival organisations looking to compete with the UFC.

Yeah, they had cut some guys around October but then they signed a few more as well as getting all the WEC guys from the divisions that were dropped

Knowing that there's that many fighters, I don't feel so bad not recognising some guys on the shows now :pac:

Advertisement