Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good PC Game for 6 Yr old?

Options
  • 16-03-2009 12:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭

Looking for a good and interresting one for the son. He is 6.
    He has played to Age of Empire/Mythology, loved them, but he finished them in full 2 or 3 times already. He played Empire Earth serie... too, but don't like them.

So I am after this kind of games as he is really enjoying building stuffs.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

I was going to suggest World of Goo (even though the wii version is better) but its not an rts game like Age of Empires. It would be good fun for a kid though!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭kazza90210

How about one of the roller coaster tycoon games? he will get to build his own theme parks, there are other variations of these like zoo tycoon, lemonade tycoon etc etc!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Sim City 4 is brilliant!!!
    Id really recommend it...

Might spur on his Civil Engineering abilities and when the next boom starts he might make you millions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Spore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

Thanks guys for the suggestions. He already played to the tycoon series too...
    He just love building things, he does crazy stuffs with Lego.

Like this tractor/plane with propeler lol, or this plane with retractable wings...I am just amazed at what kids can do today with some toys.

His expectations are high, so I am not sure what to get him really. He is getting bored quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Leprachaun

I'd say Spore aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

mick.fr wrote: »

Like this tractor/plane with propeler lol, or this plane with retractable wings...I am just amazed at what kids can do today with some toys.

His expectations are high, so I am not sure what to get him really. He is getting bored quickly.

A budding engineer, maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

How about hurling, football, soccer, swimming?

Great games for kids! Keep them active and give them a love for the outdoors and social interaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Ardscoil Ris

Looking for a good and interresting one for the son. He is 6.
    He has played to Age of Empire/Mythology, loved them, but he finished them in full 2 or 3 times already. He played Empire Earth serie... too, but don't like them.

So I am after this kind of games as he is really enjoying building stuffs.

Cheers

Grand Ages: Rome. It's a city building game, but is pretty easy.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

how bout command and conquer tiberian sun or red alert?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

6 might be a bit young but you should consider Lego Mindstorms
    http://mindstorms.lego.com/eng/Overview/default.aspx

It basically runs on a version of LabVIEW and offers some pretty complex possibilities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

enda1 wrote: »
    How about hurling, football, soccer, swimming?

Great games for kids! Keep them active and give them a love for the outdoors and social interaction.

Ah I was waiting or this one, the usual lesson giver telling us we don't know how to raise our kids and that they play too much stupid video games.
    Nice way to put it mate. Thanks. But my son is doing just extremelly well socially and speaks 4 languages fluently, Irish included.

Thanks for the other constructive suggestions guys, will have a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

cod 4/5?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

Warcraft 3. Looks like he has a taste for strategy games, this is one of the best

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

Fear

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Maybe he likes Lego!
    Lego Star Wars/Indy/Batman (out soon)

RTS: Caesar IV for the Roman theme has a lot of building and placement of stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ProjectColossus

I was going to say World of Goo too.

Or, has anyone here played Armadillo Run? Combines buildy goodness with a loast space Armadillo adventure. Ok, that last part isn't a selling point...

The idea is to use physics and props to get the armadillo ball thing into the exit zone.
    The following video shows some pretty mental stuff you can do, but the game is generally much less crazy.

Check out the demo at least, and if you like it, it's pretty cheap at 15 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

i miss lego the most awesome of toys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

5uspect wrote: »
    6 might be a bit young but you should consider Lego Mindstorms
    http://mindstorms.lego.com/eng/Overview/default.aspx

It basically runs on a version of LabVIEW and offers some pretty complex possibilities.

+1, Lego Mindstorms comes with Lego Digital Designer which is basically Lego Autocad for kids. You can download it here, its free. Its great learning, even Dad will have fun with it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Fionnanc

World of Goo is a good fun, brain teaser, but maybe this is the old fogey talking, isn;t 6 years old too young to be playing computer games? Encourage sports to develop good fitness and co-ordination and then at age 10 or 12 allow to play simulation, puzzle or strategy games-no shooters/fashionable games and definately not MMOs.-was sitting in a coffee shop in disgust listening to circa 15 year olds discussing how many creatures they massacred.-The other patrons were not impressed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Actually mouse skills encourage hand eye cordination and games can work on thier thinking, planning, learning consequences, maths and literacy.

Yes my kids are gamer kids but they are also brought to the play ground
    and go out to play on thier bikes, I would rather have them enguaged playing games
    or reading then passively watching the tv.

As long as they have limits and aren't left infront of the pc/console/ds all day
    I don't see any harm in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

I dont know what sort of level a 6 year old but if he likes building things what about fantastic contraption ? Free online (or pay & download the full version).

Brilliant game, he should be well able for the early levels or even to use it in a sandbox mode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Actually mouse skills encourage hand eye cordination and games can work on thier thinking, planning, learning consequences, maths and literacy.

Yes my kids are gamer kids but they are also brought to the play ground
    and go out to play on thier bikes, I would rather have them enguaged playing games
    or reading then passively watching the tv.

As long as they have limits and aren't left infront of the pc/console/ds all day
    I don't see any harm in it.

+1, My young fella photoshopped a coldsore off his lip on his own communion photos with M$ Paint when he was 7 without any input from anyone else. Its good to let them mess around, they'll learn loads themselves in a short time.

You want to see him on a pc now he's age 10, downloads his own stuff, can unrar Steam maps into folders and browse through Windows (and linux, his pc's dual boot) like a pro. His teachers usually lost at school when he's near a pc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Fionnanc wrote: »
    but maybe this is the old fogey talking

you would be correct :D

tell me how old do you think a child should be before you let them watch TV or read books? Viewing video games as not equal to other forms of media that children are exposed to is a generational thing. We are the last generation to have our youth largely wasted on passive media. I'd prefer my child to learn while actively playing games, then by passively staring at a screen.

As a recommendation, i'm surprised nobody has mentioned Portal yet. Get it and then get some of the community made maps for it also. Some of them are absolute noodlers and will really test your childs problem solving abilities.

On top of that, for an RTS, I'd recommend "Sins of a Solar Empire"

I'd also recommend this indie game which is simple and fantastic:

Darwinia and its sequel Multiwinia, you should be able to get them off Steam.

The Lego games (i.e. batman, star wars and indiana jones) are good, but they are really just side scroller platformers with little to do with building lego. Worth a run through if you want a good, humorous, coop game to play with your child. Although they are a lot better if you've actually watched the movies, as they are largely parodies of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Not being smart, but a frisbee/football/tennis racquet, etc and the outdoors. He will be sitting at a desk in front of a PC for most of his adult life so he may as well enjoy freedom while he has it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

get him playing quake 3 from an early age and turn him into a mini professional gamer! :p

more really - Starcraft is always a classic, as is red alert 2... and total annihilation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

c - 13 wrote: »
    I dont know what sort of level a 6 year old but if he likes building things what about fantastic contraption ? Free online (or pay & download the full version).

Brilliant game, he should be well able for the early levels or even to use it in a sandbox mode.

+1
    great game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

he might also like age of empire 3 and its expansions :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Not being smart, but a frisbee/football/tennis racquet, etc and the outdoors. He will be sitting at a desk in front of a PC for most of his adult life so he may as well enjoy freedom while he has it!

why do people keep replying with things like this :confused: You are falsely assuming that the OP only lets his child play computer games, when I'd imagine these games are more of an alternative to letting them vegetate in front of a tv when they can't be outside. If someone came in and asked "what outdoor sports are good for a 6 yr old?" would you assume that every waking minute of the childs life is going to be spent making them do outdoor sports?

It is equally as ludicrous to assume that a child can't do both video games and outdoor sports. Engaging the body is all well and good, but the mind needs to be engaged in a challenging manner also. In the technologically advanced world we live in, I'd view not teaching a child how to use a computer or run programs and games on it akin to not teaching them a language or how to write. In fact I'd say computer literacy has overtaken the need to be able to manually write with your hands.

Also, for the OP, another in browser game I'd highly recommend if he likes strategy is Tower Defense games (just google it) They range from fun and interesting to insanely difficult so see if your child will like them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

L31mr0d wrote: »
    why do people keep replying with things like this :confused: You are falsely assuming that the OP only lets his child play computer games, when I'd imagine these games are more of an alternative to letting them vegetate in front of a tv when they can't be outside. If someone came in and asked "what outdoor sports are good for a 6 yr old?" would you assume that every waking minute of the childs life is going to be spent making them do outdoor sports?

It is equally as ludicrous to assume that a child can't do both video games and outdoor sports. Engaging the body is all well and good, but the mind needs to be engaged in a challenging manner also. In the technologically advanced world we live in, I'd view not teaching a child how to use a computer or run programs and games on it akin to not teaching them a language or how to write. In fact I'd say computer literacy has overtaken the need to be able to manually write with your hands.

Also, for the OP, another in browser game I'd highly recommend if he likes strategy is Tower Defense games (just google it) They range from fun and interesting to insanely difficult so see if your child will like them.

Look at the games the kid has finished. It takes more than 20mins a day to do this, for an adult.

Advertisement