Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2009 Predictions Thread

• 16-03-2009 1:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,913 ✭✭✭✭

Time to look into the crystal ball -

Premiers -

Geelong

Finals -

Geelong
    Hawthorn
    Collingwood
    St. Kilda
    Carlton
    Adelaide
    Western Bulldogs
    Richmond

Wooden Spoon -

Melbourne

Brownlow Medal -

Gary Ablett

Coleman Medal -

Brendan Fevola

Couple of controversial selections, particularly the ommission of Sydney from finals football. I do think they'll go close, but they're an aging team and won't have a big year. Richmond will pip them for 8th spot thanks in large part to the return of Cousins.

Fev I think will have a good year and push the Blues to the finals.

Brisbane, Port and North have a chance too. Could be a tight year really, with only Melbourne, Essendon, Freo and West Coast a step below the rest.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭legend73

Xavi6 wrote: »

Premiers -

Hawthorn

Finals -

Geelong
    Hawthorn
    Collingwood
    St. Kilda
    Carlton
    Adelaide
    Western Bulldogs
    Port Adelaide

Wooden Spoon -

W.C. Eagles

Brownlow Medal -

Joel Selwood

Coleman Medal -

Lance Franklin

Rising Star
    Daniel Rich

Predictions: Cuz to fall off the wagon, after an injury. At least half a dozen other players having off field incidents, including drink driving, sex with a minor etc being the headlines. By the season end, if either the bulldogs or Nth Melbourne do not make the finals, both will be offered a gig interstate or face the death of their clubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Xavi6 wrote: »

Premiers -

Geelong

Finals -

Geelong
    Hawthorn
    Collingwood
    St. Kilda
    Carlton
    Adelaide
    Western Bulldogs
    Richmond

Wooden Spoon -

Melbourne

Brownlow Medal -

Gary Ablett

Coleman Medal -

Brendan Fevola

Couple of controversial selections, particularly the ommission of Sydney from finals football. I do think they'll go close, but they're an aging team and won't have a big year. Richmond will pip them for 8th spot thanks in large part to the return of Cousins.

Fev I think will have a good year and push the Blues to the finals.

Brisbane, Port and North have a chance too. Could be a tight year really, with only Melbourne, Essendon, Freo and West Coast a step below the rest.

Not really an expert yet, so not going to contradict any of this.

I do think Geelong will win, they really are awesome.

I think the other certs for playoff places are Hawks, Pies, Saints, Doggies. The other 3 spots will be between Adelaide, N. Melb., Carlton, Brisbane, Port, Richmond and Essendon.

Freo, Weagles and Melbourne scrapping it out at the bottom.

Can't see anyone other than lil' Gary winning the Brownlow, he really is awesome!

As a Blues fan I'm hoping Fev wins the Coleman, but I really have no idea who will win it!

I'm just looking forward to the first game of the season, Tigers vs The Blues, Cousins vs. Judd!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

have to agree with all that xavi, other than Coleman medal. think Buddy will do enough to win it again this year. also, I think Brisbane might come close to finals placings, but I dont think I'd put them there just yet with Voss just after taking over. Might take them a year to settle in properly. Adelaide are the team I compare to Sydney, been up there for a while and never really achieved their full potential, and they might well drop out of the top 8. And I'm never convinced by the saint for whatever reason, but with Riewoldt leading the line, they should still make the finals again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Flairpinnedme

Premiers - Geelong

Final 8 -

Geelong
    Hawthorn
    North Melbourne
    Carlton
    Collingwood
    Adelaide
    Richmond
    Sydney

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Traq

Premiers:

Geelong.

Top Eight:

Geelong
    Hawthorn
    Collingwood
    Carlton
    Western Bulldogs
    St Kilda
    Adelaide
    Richmond/Brisbane (Can't decide, although Richmond in usual fashion will probably be 9th!)

Brownlow:

Chris Judd.

Coleman:

Fev.

Wooden Spoon:

Melbourne.

Now I know the above selection is slightly biased in favour of Carlton but I'm expecting a big season this year! I reckon if Carlton push for the finals Judd could go close for the Brownlow but I've actually put him in more in hope than expectation as I reckon Gary Ablett's finally due it this year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭legend73

I think Port Adelaide will come back this year from a dissapointing 13th. They certainly have the cattle to do it.

Although Carlton have improved and are still improving, I have a feeling a couple of injuries and they're seaaon will be gone. So I'll reserve the right to switch them for Nth Melbourne who are always written off early but are doggard in their football approach.

Advertisement