Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No pain No Gain

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

Monday 8th June 2009

AM :Easy Run
    5.24miles , 43 mins
    took first mile easy then picked it up from there , finished steady.

Had planned to take it easy but hadnt trained in a couple of days so wanted to push myself , not a good idea though

PM : Swim
    Coach Swim Session
    Arm, Leg , Breathing drills , a few timed laps , 50m time trial , 52 sec , not great
    enjoyable session with the club.

Tuesday 9th June 2009

Am: Cycle
    Cycle with speed burst , approx 28k

PM : Tempo Run
    1 mile warm up
    3 miles tempo 22 mins
    1.25 miles warm dowm

Tempo Runs : not too sure if i am doing these right ie if my pace is right , how much do i need to stick to the calculated pace if its not comfortable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭cfitz

Check this elsewhere because I'm not sure. But I think the idea is that, if necessary, you stick to the calculated pace but change the session - so maybe instead of 20 minutes you'd do 2 x 10 minutes at the suggested pace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

cfitz wrote: »
    Check this elsewhere because I'm not sure. But I think the idea is that, if necessary, you stick to the calculated pace but change the session - so maybe instead of 20 minutes you'd do 2 x 10 minutes at the suggested pace.

did you just rob my reply ;) .

Yep I think cfitz is right there, i was told to start my tempo with 2X8 mins and build it upto 2X12/15 mins.

thanks guys
    i think ye gave pretty much the same replies but different threads , so think i will go with that advice
    thanks again

• Advertisement

hadnt trained since last wednesday due to family responsibilities , was dying to get back at it , have alot of work to do .

Wednesday 17th June 2009
    PM: Swim
    150 warm up
    150 bilaterial beathing , 50/7, 50/5,50/3
    100 catch up both hands
    100 kicking
    150 high elbow
    50 loosen out
    600 3*200m steady , 1/2min break , could time , no watch for momemt
    50 warm dowm , no time for more , pool closing

Thursday 18th June 2009
    AM : tempo Run
    1 mile warm up
    15min tempo (little over 2 miles ), 4mins break , 10min tempo, not sure on distances here , although have defo lost some pace over last couple of weeks
    10warm down
    Total distance : 5.5miles

Session not very good , need to measure distances , pace bad , not good with speed work in the morning , however no choicethis week !

Thursday 18th June 2009

PM : 36k Bike in 1hr 35min , tired after

Friday

AM : Bike , 20k , 53mins , legs tired form yesterday bike

Friday 19th June 2009

PM: swim
    150 warm out
    150 bilaterial breathing , 50/7,50/5,50/3
    100 leg kick
    50 catchup
    50free style
    750 main session
    250 warm down
    1500m total

Saturday 20th June 2009
    7miles easy 62min

sunday 21st june 2009
    ow swim 1000m , out and back 500m , back in 10.23min
    cycle :40k , didnt time but judging by the distance the others were in front , pretty shi* ,
    Run : 5k , easy enough , 22.30

• Advertisement

Reading your log is funny - not sure if I've ever seen a "Was flying tonight" or a "Really feels like I'm making progress"! :)

Reading your log is funny - not sure if I've ever seen a "Was flying tonight" or a "Really feels like I'm making progress"! :)
    i know i am such a pessimist :o , what do they say PMA , postive mental attitude :)

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭ladytri

You're too hard on yourself Seres- you've been focusing on running for so long, you'll be flying at the cycling come Ballina and you're swim has improved 10 fold since last year. You of all people know that progress will come, it just takes a bit of time. Whatever distance we were ahead of you on the cycle certainly doesn't translate to the ass whipping you gave us with your speedy run;)

ladytri wrote: »
    You're too hard on yourself Seres- you've been focusing on running for so long, you'll be flying at the cycling come Ballina and you're swim has improved 10 fold since last year. You of all people know that progress will come, it just takes a bit of time. Whatever distance we were ahead of you on the cycle certainly doesn't translate to the ass whipping you gave us with your speedy run;)
    thanks ladytri , you know how these things go , we are all a little impatient and want the thing now , not to worry will keep driving at it , looking forward to ballina , gives a break to the old training.

Monday 22th June 2009

Pm : Coach Swim
    100m warm up
    100m kicking with float
    50m flippers
    150m with flippers ( for pointed toes when kicking)
    150m Arm work ( with leg floats and arm paddles)
    50m 25 sprint/25easy
    150m bilaterial breathing , 50/8,50/6,50/4
    250m moderate swimming
    1000m total

may be forgeting some drills but the session was there or there abouts
    good session , instructor really helped us focus on the necessariesfor ows

Tuesday 23th June 2009

Am : 24k Cycle with speed bursts

15min warm up
    4min *5 with 2min easy
    10min warm down

Total time : 59min 30sec

seem to be getting further on the bursts so thats a plus and overall time for this session/curcuit coming down.

Tuesday 23th June 2009

PM : Tempo Run

15mins tempo :average 6.55 pace ,
    4 mins recovery ,
    10mins tempo : not too sure of distance 1.5miles in the car , maybe 1.45 , pace felt the same as for 15mins

tempo run felt alot easier than last week , think i will have to leave speed work till evening anymore , hilly route , hills felt so easy compared to normally , must give the bike work credit for that , starting to really look forward to the running session , seem like alot less effort involved than the other two disciplines :)

Wednesday 24th June 2009

PM : Long Cycle
    29k in 1hr 3mins .
    had planned 36k cycle but got a puncture at 29k ,a bit :mad: as i was really pushing it and was going for a good time , thought the tire was a bit soft going out but ignored what i read in MCOSs' log and went ahead , first day i went out without the phone as well
    happy enough with cycle overall although i dont think it is 29k , maybe 26k , will need to measure as i have been going by road signs :o on this distance

Thursday 24th June 2009
    AM : Long Run
    9.5miles in 81min , 8min 30 sec pace
    first three miles a bit slow , 10min mile pace , think i was still waking up
    probably not a good idea to do two long sessions like that back to back , but considering the cycle was cut short by 7k and that was the only session i did yesterday i decided to do the long run today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

:P Now you know!

Some good training going on there Seres. Lots of double days... how is that going? You taking rest days seriously and balancing intensity ??

MCOS wrote: »
    :P Now you know!

Some good training going on there Seres. Lots of double days... how is that going? You taking rest days seriously and balancing intensity ??
    lesson learnt , ya training a bit hectic last week as my little one was in the hospital and i didnt get anything done at the start of last week/week before so tried to get the sessions from middle of week on , regards rest day , practically always take one a week , two tough sessions( long bike and long run )were not planned but went for it anyway cause long bike cut short , legs also felt grand after long bike , normally plan for week more balanced .

Well done Seres!
    The cycling is really coming on, thats a massive improvement:)

• Advertisement

Well done Seres!
    The cycling is really coming on, thats a massive improvement:)
    thanks , put the clips on , they made a huge difference , i was flat out though !

week went downhill from thursday , after such a good start

Friday 26th June
    Unplanned rest day , hungover !

Saturday 27th June
    Easy Run :4.7mi in 40min

Sunday
    Nothing , planned cycle but OH working till later than expected

Week Total
    3 Run : Long/Tempo/Easy : 19mi
    2 cycle : Long/Speed Burst : 53k
    1 Swim : Coach Swim : 1000

Bad Week only One swim :eek: and 2 bike and long bike only 29k , hopefully this week will go better however the plus side is that i have gotten all my puncture equipment sorted in case of another flat tyre and the clips on the bike are have made a huge difference.

Seres wrote: »
    Friday 26th June
    Unplanned rest day , hungover !

You should have run it off!

Monday 29th June 2009

AM : 24k cycle with speed bursts
    done in 57 mins , like to kick off the week with this session not too tough on a monday morning , need to ease myself in slowly

PM : Coach Swimming
    250m warm up
    150m leg work(float)
    150m arm work(float)
    150m sprint drills 25m fast/25m easy
    100m individual stroke work
    100m breast stroke
    150m catch up , left/right/both
    150m bilaterial breathing , 3/5/7
    50m fists
    250m warm down
    1500m total

Tuesday 01 July 2009

Am:Long Bike
    36k in 1hr 22min , through 29k in 1hr 6 min , bit slower than the last time but was quite gusty in spots and it also took me a couple of K to wake up !

PM : Run Speed Session
    5*1k @ 9.3miles/hr ( 6.28mi/pace, 4.02k/pace) , 90sec recovery
    done on threadmill at 10pm cause couldnt leave the house
    didnt measure distance, as threadmill in miles so went with 4min burst at 9.3miles/hr , which would pretty much be 1k.
    Was tempted to up the pace but kept tergats advice in the head , threadmill good for helping you control pace.
    Session felt tough but more controlled than my interval sessions normally feel.
    happy enough , session was reasonably successful under the circumstances.
    decided to forget swim session for wed morning , no point killing myself , 5miles easy tonight , on threadmill again.

Wednesday 1st July 2009

Recovery Run
    5miles of pain on the threadmilll in 41mins : suppose to be a recovery run !
    technically the threadmill should be easier than the outdoors, No way pure torture.

Thursday 2th June 2009

Easy Cycle : guestimation 25k , did not time , needed a break from the stopwatch , really sick of bumpy country roads , feel i need a mountain bike instead of a road bike , where has all the motor tax gone , not on west of ireland roads anyway :mad:

may get for swim tonight if OH is not working

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Wednesday 1st July 2009

Recovery Run
    5miles of pain on the threadmilll in 41mins : suppose to be a recovery run !
    technically the threadmill should be easier than the outdoors, No way pure torture.

Threadmills sound awful, they must be shockingly boring (and hot). Being outside is good part of the appeal of running to me. Do you use one in the gym or have one at home? Do you have a running only target or is it all tri's from here on in?

asimonov wrote: »
    Threadmills sound awful, they must be shockingly boring (and hot). Being outside is good part of the appeal of running to me. Do you use one in the gym or have one at home? Do you have a running only target or is it all tri's from here on in?
    have a threadmill at home , suits to get workout done on it when i cant leave the house or in the winter but it ticks all the boxes in reference to your points above .
    For the moment ( summer ) i am focusing mainly on tris ,but still trying to get a few crucial run workouts in , in the week ,cause i imagine i will return to it come september , really love both sports but i think running will always have an edge on the tris :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

have a threadmill at home , suits to get workout done on it when i cant leave the house or in the winter but it ticks all the boxes in reference to your points above .
    For the moment ( summer ) i am focusing mainly on tris ,but still trying to get a few crucial run workouts in , in the week ,cause i imagine i will return to it come september , really love both sports but i think running will always have an edge on the tris :)

Great stuff Seres; The intensity of your training at the moment is great - double sessions and all, i can see the attraction of being able to do a workout without having to leave the house. By summer's end you'll have a serious aerobic base not to mention some good tri results in the bag.

• Advertisement

Friday 3th July 2009

9.5mi in 1hr 19.30 , 8min 22 sec av pace , dismal morning to look out at but very humid !
    anyone know what pace you should do your LSR at ?

Friday 3th July 2009

9.5mi in 1hr 19.30 , 8min 22 sec av pace , dismal morning to look out at but very humid !
    anyone know what pace you should do your LSR at ?

There are lots of guidelines (and also it depends on what your distance/race you're training for). But for 1500m-10k training, I'd suggest most times not checking your watch and just go at a comfortable pace.

But that's just one approach (that I don't necessarily follow myself all the time!), the technical people here will probably be able to give you mathematical ways of working out your optimal pace.

There are lots of guidelines (and also it depends on what your distance/race you're training for). But for 1500m-10k training, I'd suggest most times not checking your watch and just go at a comfortable pace.

But that's just one approach (that I don't necessarily follow myself all the time!), the technical people here will probably be able to give you mathematical ways of working out your optimal pace.
    thanks cfitz , i know there are implications if you do them to fast and i wonder are there any if you do them to slow , i thought i read somewhere that its the time on your feet which is the most important thing about LSR ?

Friday 3rd July 2009

PM: OW Swim

1k : 500m :Out/back , guestimation by time 10.24out/11 back

Saturday :Active rest day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,540 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

What's an active rest day? Just a 10km run? :)

What's an active rest day? Just a 10km run? :)
    like a cycle with the kids / walk in the park /short swim
    light activity rather than sitting on your as* watching telly all day.

Sunday 5th July

went over to ballina to do the bike and run courses

20k cycle :45min , over and back route , very flat , seems handy enough
    didnt know if i would like the out and back thing but a least you know exactly the half way mark and good for setting your pace coming back

4ish miles in 33 mins ::run course didnt exactly go to plan .
    Thr route is as follows : main road to forest , run round the forest then come out on other side of forest on main road and run back to town
    Run to forest ok , so many paths and trails in forest ended up doubling back on track i ran and coming out on the right road but the wrong spot .
    All the same got a good feel for the run , bit more testy than the bike course but nicer to , lovely forest run along the river moy, looking forward to the challenge next saturday ?

enoughable session overall

Week Total

Bike : 24/36/25/20 =105k
    Swim : 1500/1000m = 2500m
    Run : 4.2/5/9.5/4 = 22.7mi

think thats bout right too lazy to check back the exacts
    good week bike & run , need to up the game re my swim workouts.

• Advertisement

less than 48hours since i posted and i was already in he middle of the third page , logs seriously active !

Monday 6th July 2009

PM : Coach Swim
    200 :Warm up
    100 :Stretching out arms
    100 : Focus on kicking while breathing
    100 : Kicking with float
    200 : FC Sprint 25fast/25easy *4
    150 : Bilaterial breathing 3/5/7
    100 : warm down
    950 : Total

Tuesday 7th July 2009

Am : Brick Session
    20k Bike , 44min : Focusing
    1. high cadence , which i now think is a bit high ( 90rpm )
    2. Steady pace , hard to keep on sh*t country roads , will start to try and get more session on good roads for pace.
    3. Gear change : need to look more at road ahead to anticipate gear change
    good session which has put a bit of focus on my bike for saturday

2.3k run , 10min ,6min 57sec pace : legs felt ok off the bike

Great pace off the bike there Seres! Yourself and Ladytri are both putting in some serious training recently!

Great pace off the bike there Seres! Yourself and Ladytri are both putting in some serious training recently!

Leave me out of this, Seres is putting me to shame:eek:

Leave me out of this, Seres is putting me to shame:eek:
    i have been to your sunday sessions , left for dust i was !

Wednesday 8th July 2009

AM : Brick Session
    planned on doing 2 mile tempo yesterday evening but other commitments meant it didnt happen , so fitted it in this morning

Steady 15k Bike :33min 30 sec : going by my times if i do under 42min on the bike on saturday i will be happy. feel i am not getting the cadence right , either too high or too low , maybe i am been too clinical about it , will go with how i feel sat i think.
    Steady 2 miles : 13min 42 sec @ 6min 51sec average pace , if can keep this pace sat will be happy , under 21min 30 sec would be good.

with regards swim on sat , god knows , will be happy to get it over , swim will need more focus after sat .

• Advertisement

race report : ballina sprint tri 11th july
    up 5am , on the road 6, in ballina 7 , dropped bike off at transition and registered bout 7.20 , went back down to transition ,went through a few things in my head re transition , bored out of my head for bout 40min , not really one for bringing bike for test run or warm ups so ( dont konw if i fully see the point of warm up when you are startin in the water), so hardly going to start now . fast forward ahead to race briefing after which we had to walk 1/2 mile to water entry point , on the road , in a wetsuit (plenty of a warm up) , most of us in our feet . wave 1 (men<40) off first , then rest 8 mins later , swim not too traumatising this time , suppose without the men its not as much of a dog fight , also the fact that alot of the water you can stand up in it, takes away the fear of drowning !
    so coming out of the water got pushed back in my an +40 male who took the hand of the marshall that was extented for me
    K not too good at these race reports so here's the summary version .
    750m swim 13min : ok survived it
    20k Bike , 39min : really happy with this , gave it socks at the expense of the run
    5k run , 22min : tired going into it but was managing ok , got a stitch 1k to go, reduced to a near walk + squeezing my side , hobbled over the line .
    Overall : 1hr17min , difference transition , t1 (1min30), t2 ( 1min) , defo room for improvement here , although better than last time when i spent 3min in t1 ( drying my feet and putting on socks :o)

dissappointed in the run , hate fnishing so weak , feel i didnt given it all i could , also second run/race have gotten a stitch at the end so need to check this out , any suggestions welcome
    Overall , really enjoyed it , cant wait till the next one.

Well done Seres. Very good swim and sub 40 on your bike, I bet you were delighted with that split! The run was pretty good considering you pushed the bike you know :)

Well done Seres. Very good swim and sub 40 on your bike, I bet you were delighted with that split! The run was pretty good considering you pushed the bike you know :)
    thanks dont be deluded by the swim time , there was a current , was in the bottom half of the field timewise for the swim , run time not great but not too worried bout it , just really want to know what caused the stitch again !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,540 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Damn, that's the sprint I should've done! None of this lake swimming lark!
    Well done on some brilliant times. Fantastic performance.

Damn, that's the sprint I should've done! None of this lake swimming lark!
    Well done on some brilliant times. Fantastic performance.
    I know definitely a tri for the non swimmer , especially as one of the <40 men managed to walk a fair bit of it and still manage not to be last !

Well done in your race.

Regarding the stitch, from what I've been told, it's not really known what causes stitches. I got a stitch in 2 races early last year. My coach thought that it might be because I hadn't started doing my tough interval training yet (I was in base phase at the time and just doing some really long intervals). It turned out that I had some sort of inflammation in my stomach and had to take a four week course of tablets (first time in my life to take a tablet!) so that might have accounted for my stitches. That's probably not much help to you though!

Overall : 1hr17min , difference transition , t1 (1min30), t2 ( 1min) , defo room for improvement here , although better than last time when i spent 3min in t1 ( drying my feet and putting on socks :o)

Placing you very nicely well within the top 10 females and making you 3rd in your age group...not bad for your second triathlon:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Well done Seres. I think there are more good things to come from you.
    Did you get your 3rd placed prize?

Abhainn wrote: »
    Well done Seres. I think there are more good things to come from you.
    Did you get your 3rd placed prize?
    no , left straight after , didnt know there would be anything , fantastic !

14th July 2009 : AM Cycle

32k Cycle , 1hr 10min : time and distance could be off , nothing much more to say other than managed to get up and complete this very unwillingly , pump coming off umpteen times and the chain coming off didnt help either , oh ya and BLOODY HATE WEST OF IRELAND COUNTRY ROADS ! i think i will stop paying road tax ! rant over ( well till tomorrows cycle anyway).

• Advertisement
Advertisement