Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No pain No Gain

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

Gringo78 wrote: »
    Hopefully nothing too serious and you'll be ok for the 10k. Best of luck in that, you look like you have learned enough over the last few races to ace it.
    thanks , hopefully

Monday 25th May 2009
    AM : 4.2miles in 37.21 min , slow joints still creaky , will see about this tomorrow.

PM : Swim Coach Session
    100 warm up
    150 kick drill
    100 easy
    150 work on arms
    25 head up/25 head down *3 150m
    100 relaxed
    25sprint/25easy*4 ,200
    100 warm dowm
    Total Swim :1150m

Tuesday 26th May 2009
    AM : 25k Bike , 59.59 , felt good today , time coming down slowly

PM : 3*.95k loop , 80 sec rest interval
    1. 3.22
    2. 3.21
    3. 3.17
    only three reps but times have come down since the last time , i am sure i would not maintain 3.22 or the like for 6 reps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭cfitz

Seres wrote: »
    PM : 3*.95k loop , 80 sec rest interval
    1. 3.22
    2. 3.21
    3. 3.17
    only three reps but times have come down since the last time , i am sure i would not maintain 3.22 or the like for 6 reps

That's a savage session. Have you tried racing over shorter distances at all? Those times suggest you could go under 10:30 for 3000m.

cfitz wrote: »
    That's a savage session. Have you tried racing over shorter distances at all? Those times suggest you could go under 10:30 for 3000m.
    its was only for 3 reps with 80 sec recovery between each and they werent a full k each , have you say i was a little surprised with those times , maybe cause i did them in the evening , normally do them in the morning

Well, if the distance is correct - 950m, then:

You're covering 2,850m in that session. (A little bit over-distance might be a better indicator, but that's fairly close.) Your recovery of 80 seconds is very short so that should give you more confidence that you could replicate the times in a race. You're running on a forest path rather than a track?

Your average time on the session is 3:20 for 950m - that works out at just under 10:32 pace for 3000m.

I have been doing a session on a tartan track of 3 x 1200m with 250m jog recovery (probably 1:40 recovery or more). My average time on my best session was 3:50 - that works out at just under 9:36 pace for 3000m. I've run 9:24 this season.

Might be worth entering a 1500/3000/5000 just to see how you get on...

• Advertisement

thanks cfitz for the advice might be rights about trying 3000m/5000m , 1500m did when i was younger , dont think i had enough speed , regards 10k race i think maybe my frame is too big , might concider shorter distances come september., might be back to you on that for advice on training plans , hope thats ok :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

thanks cfitz for the advice might be rights about trying 3000m/5000m , 1500m did when i was younger , dont think i had enough speed , regards 10k race i think maybe my frame is too big , might concider shorter distances come september., might be back to you on that for advice on training plans , hope thats ok :)
    There are a few nice Bhaa 3-5k races during the summer, i'd say you would do well. Maybe a few cross country races during the winter too :)

shels4ever wrote: »
    There are a few nice Bhaa 3-5k races during the summer, i'd say you would do well. Maybe a few cross country races during the winter too :)
    use to love cross country , was my favourite out of all the different events , although i dont really know how you enter or what category i would be in , may need to check it out , thanks shels

Wednesday 27th May 2009
    PM : 3.4mile easy , measured with Nike+ Band ,
    tried to calibrate Nike+ band ,as i feel the 3.4mile distance measured was wrong , but couldnt, said something bout no walks /runs suitable to use for calibration :confused: , krusty, anyone ?
    Measured 0.95k loop with Car GPS , 1.1k , think something wrong here also !

Thursday 28th May 2009
    went to physio with hip niggle , she ended up teasing out a pain in my pelvis round my lower back , feels good , she said i might be stiff later
    would it be a bad idea to try and get my 2 mile tempo in ?

Wednesday 27th May 2009
    tried to calibrate Nike+ band ,as i feel the 3.4mile distance measured was wrong , but couldnt, said something bout no walks /runs suitable to use for calibration :confused: , krusty, anyone ?

Thursday 28th May 2009
    went to physio with hip niggle , she ended up teasing out a pain in my pelvis round my lower back , feels good , she said i might be stiff later
    would it be a bad idea to try and get my 2 mile tempo in ?

Unless you're quite used to getting physio work I'd be inclined to not run tonight. Especially when she said you might be stiff later.

• Advertisement

Unless you're quite used to getting physio work I'd be inclined to not run tonight. Especially when she said you might be stiff later.
    wasnt really feelin too bad so went ahead with the 2 mile tempo , took it fairly handy though
    5 min warm up
    2.8k tempo in 12.06
    10 imn warm down
    finding the nike+ band is really useless , 2.8k measured 1.69mi on it , tried again to calibrate it but couldnt and the software program hasnt uploaded any runs since the 20th of may , what a waste of time and money !:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Wednesday 27th May 2009

I bought a Nike+ band also last summer, and used it for a while to measure my long/easy runs. Found it was reasonably accurate as long as I stayed at a consistent pace.
    You can download the manual from the Nike page - here are a few extracts:

If you didn’t run or walk the correct distance (>0.4 km), or if you mixed running with walking, the message that “no walks or runs were useful” will appear. Repeat the process until a calibration run or walk is successful.

Important: Before you calibrate a second time, you must first reset your run or walk in the Calibration tab settings. Click the Reset button to return back to the original factory calibration settings. This will improve the accuracy of subsequent calibrations.
    Note: Even after calibrating, the accuracy of the distance measurements may vary depending on gait, running surface, incline, or temperature.
    I no longer use my Nike+ and I am saving up for a good Garmin :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Good luck on Monday!

thanks asimonov , just want to enjoy the race , hope i dont get too caught with my pace.

thanks asimonov , just want to enjoy the race , hope i dont get too caught with my pace.

Friday 29th May 2009
    rest Day

saturday 30th May 2009
    3 miles easy , 24mins

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭ladytri

Hi Seres
    Just wanted to say good luck tomorrow, looks like you'll get well within your time...
    see you in a couple of weeks:)

thanks ladytri , hope all is going well for yourself and the mr , talk to ya soon .

sunday 31st May 2009

1 mile just to keep the legs loose ,
    a few strides

Legs felt good and light , hip still a little tender but nothing too major .
    i will just have to wait and see now what happens .

10k MiniMarathon Race Report
    decided not too go out too fast let everyone sprint on ahead, thought if i did first two k in 4.05/4.06 and picked it up from there i would be on target , didnt want to focus on time too much either , just run how i felt , first k 4.05 , ok , felt i could make this up , second k 8.11, third k i knew i had some serious work to do , went thru 5k in 21 mins , at this stage i wasnt watching my k pace , sun was right in my face from stilorgan flyover , tried to keep pace for 42min , went thru last k in over 38mins , disaster , picked up the pace a little and got a stitch in my stomach , could barely run , couple of people i was running with passed me , stopped , walked , started , stopped again , jogged to the line with stitch , crossed in around 43.20 , forgot to stop my watch . dissappointing ! lessons learnt
    1. Keep a watch on pace throughout race , dont let it slip away.
    2. Dont start to slow .
    3. push yourself a little outside your comfort zone for each k

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Hard luck seres, you must feel a bit disappointed.

however, you've done great work over the last couple of months and your earlier results show sub 40 is within reach. Would you consider quickly signing up for another 10k and seeing if you can put the lessons learned yesterday to good use?

picked up the pace a little and got a stitch in my stomach , could barely run , couple of people i was running with passed me , stopped , walked , started , stopped again , jogged to the line with stitch ,

This suggests to me that even if you had followed those 3 lessons in your post, you might still have run into trouble. Don't worry about the race too much, you're close enough to 40 minutes now that it will probably come fairly easily in the future. If you look at your training programme, you will probably see that there was a very big step-up in intensity a few weeks before this race (all the new triathlon sessions) - that's an unusual way to prepare for your peak race. All in all, you've had a successful season - a big 10k PB, learned a lot about training, some big sessions that should give you confidence for the future.

asimonov wrote: »
    Hard luck seres, you must feel a bit disappointed.

however, you've done great work over the last couple of months and your earlier results show sub 40 is within reach. Would you consider quickly signing up for another 10k and seeing if you can put the lessons learned yesterday to good use?

thanks asimonov , ya am dissappointed , i think another problem was i went into the race with one plan , to get under 40mins , and once i saw that wasnt going to happen i hadnt really any other plan , and cause of that i let all go and had too much in the tank on finishing , i dont even feel i ran a 10k yesterday . Had wanted to end running season on good note but due to yesterdays result i have planned an 8k at the end of June , hopefully will get under 32min for this :)

This suggests to me that even if you had followed those 3 lessons in your post, you might still have run into trouble. Don't worry about the race too much, you're close enough to 40 minutes now that it will probably come fairly easily in the future. If you look at your training programme, you will probably see that there was a very big step-up in intensity a few weeks before this race (all the new triathlon sessions) - that's an unusual way to prepare for your peak race. All in all, you've had a successful season - a big 10k PB, learned a lot about training, some big sessions that should give you confidence for the future.
    thanks cifz , i agree with you that maybe the inclusion of the triathlon training affected my focus on running . i dont think i can finish my run season on this note , have planned an 8k at the end of June.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Chin up Seres, by all accounts it was crazy and hot up there yesterday. Believe in the work you have done and that you were not 100% running focused. The capacity is there, it will come... :)

Wednesday 3th June 2009

36k cycle per road signs , 1hr 29min ,
    not really accurate , will need to measure , took it handy, enjoyable , beautiful evening , the only thing about the warm westher is , i shallowed about 5 flies , couple went into my eyes , others banged against my head , two even went in my ears , it was insect city out there last night!

Thursday 4th June 2009

25k cycle , had planned a time trial but a bloody dog came out of a house and attacked me , started biting at my runner , really crazy , ripped some of my runner , was terrified , cant imagine what i would have done if the owner hadnt called the dog , wanted to say something to the owner but just got out of there as fast as i could .
    Just another thing , west of ireland roads are really bumpy , so shi*t , no change of them improving now !

Friday 5th June 2009
    4.7miles , 36min37sec
    Legs felt a little heavy , must be the cycling the last two days
    First run since monday , running has been neglected this week , will set up proper training schedule for next week .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Just started reading you log Seres.
    Firstly hard luck in your recent 10k, but we all have off days. The thing is move it to the back of your mind and focus on your next event.
    You certainly appear to have great speed in your intervals sessions. In order to translate that speed into good times up to 10 k and over you may need to extend your long runs maybe up to 10 miles.
    (I think you have done up to 8 miles or so?)
    Best of luck in the tri prep also. May be in Ballina myself if I can gain entry on the 11th

• Advertisement

Abhainn wrote: »
    Just started reading you log Seres.
    Firstly hard luck in your recent 10k, but we all have off days. The thing is move it to the back of your mind and focus on your next event.
    You certainly appear to have great speed in your intervals sessions. In order to translate that speed into good times up to 10 k and over you may need to extend your long runs maybe up to 10 miles.
    (I think you have done up to 8 miles or so?)
    Best of luck in the tri prep also. May be in Ballina myself if I can gain entry on the 11th
    thanks for the tip , will take it on board , best of luck in getting a place in Ballina Tri on the 11th :)

Advertisement