Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help with JG G3

Options
  • 16-03-2009 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

I am hoping that there is someone in the North West, maybe Sligo/Leitrim who has experience with the JG 3G Gearbox.

I have tried to replace the spring in the Gearbox, and failed. (Not too good with me hands, you see).

If there is anyone out there who can help me I would be willing to reimburse them for their time.

Dearg Doom

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

What exactly is the problem with the gearbox mate?

Someone on here may be able to talk you through it

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭ddoom

Main problem is that I need to downgrade the spring. The particular spring which is in the replica has a hook which attaches to the piston. The replacement spring I have does not have this hook, so I am faced with maybe having to cut the old spring to weaken it a little.

My inexperience in this area has meant that I do not feel confident that I can successfully carry out the necessary work without damaging the replica in some way and would really rather if someone who has experience in such gearbox maintenance could do it for me.

I have gone through all the steps, but have found it rather more difficult than anticipated. So although the offer of talking me through the work is appreciated, I know my limits, and this time I have bitten off more than I can chew.

Dearg Doom

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

The hook is pointless, dont worry about it, use the new weaker spring, or return it to the retailer if you bought it in Ireland, they are obligated to make the gun under 1 joule, or they have illegally sold a firearm, and can be severely prosecuted.

If you imported it, get the old spring out asap, and get a retailer or someone with a chrono to install the new one, you will have no idea of the muzzle energy without one.

Stercus,

The replica was imported, bought as a present to me, also being in the North West and not having a Retailer on your doorstep makes it difficult to just drop it in.

The replica was Chrono’ed and was a little hot, which is why I am looking for someone to give me a little assistance in downgrading it

I have no intention of using the replica in its present state, and currently the hot spring is not installed in the replica, I do not need to be reminded of the legality of such an item as I am fully aware of the law regarding such items. That is why I am seeking a way to downgrade the replica.

If there is no one willing or able to help me in the North West, then the item will remain in its box, unused.

Dearg Doom

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

The new spring is compatible, the hook on the old spring is a throwback to the old tm style, not needed.

When you get a chrono, loan or buy(they are cheap and well worth getting) you can ensure its sub-1 joule.

• Advertisement

Stercus,

Thanks for the advice, understood and taken onboard.

Dearg Doom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭kalkor

If it was only a little hot you could leave the spring compressed for a while by pulling the trigger on semi but quick enough not to let it fire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭johnboysligo

kalkor wrote: »
    If it was only a little hot you could leave the spring compressed for a while by pulling the trigger on semi but quick enough not to let it fire

thats only a temp fix the spring would have been termpered to give it strength and memory so it could return to the orignal shape/length given time dependant on the quality of the metal used.

best option i can think of is to study some videos on youtube about gearbox assembly and dissasembly learn as much as possible before you go any further. What Stercus Accidit said is true the new spring is compatible it should work just fine hook or no hook.

p.s. there is one other quick way to downgrade an aeg the dreaded drilling a hole in the air nozzle which is highly unrecomended because 1. you reduce the air nozzles life span and 2. when it does break youll be back to square one and need to open the gearbox to replace it.

Advertisement