Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sailing courses abroad

• 16-03-2009 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

Hi,

I am looking to get into sailing and was thinking of getting started by going on a training course of some type. If possible i am hoping to do this abroad so it can double up as a holiday. For example - one week training course and then stay a second week to relax/site see.

Has anybody here ever done such a course or know of any of them?

Any help at all is much appreciated.

Cheers.

On another note, if the above is not possible, what is the best way to learn at home (dublin)?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

Hi,

I am looking to get into sailing and was thinking of getting started by going on a training course of some type. If possible i am hoping to do this abroad so it can double up as a holiday. For example - one week training course and then stay a second week to relax/site see.

Has anybody here ever done such a course or know of any of them?

Any help at all is much appreciated.

Cheers.

On another note, if the above is not possible, what is the best way to learn at home (dublin)?

You could try one of the Glenans courses in France.
    You'd need French tho. I did one a few years back. Theyre very enjoyable. Instructors were great and was with a great group of people.

I'd already been sailing for years and did the course as a way to improve my French. They provide beginners courses too tho which all look quite good

http://www.glenans.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 490 ✭✭delop

www.glenans.ie as the other poster said are quite good, I used to work for them yrs ago, Keel boat sailing in Baltimore is a good start

I was made redundant during the last recession in 2001/2 (the one that everyone forgets) so I used my redundancy money to get my RYA Yachtmaster with this company http://www.flyingfishonline.com/ which involved training in OZ and UK, so that was handy for travel too...

If you plan on trying to make a career out of it PM me...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Buy Irish :D or pick up one of the UK sailing mags and they have lots of ads in the back for sailing holidays.

Advertisement