Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new to it

Options
  • 16-03-2009 2:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

im just starting off fishing,
    got a spinning rod, reel the works.

just a few questions,
    ill be fishing up around howth, balscadden area.

what can i expect to catch?
    i was up there twice so far and didnt catch a thing?
    is it wrong time of season?

when and where of even how would i catch dog fish?

living in the dublin area, any other good spots?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 riverbum

Hi Jaytoon,
    I'm primarily a Fly Fisherman, especially this time of year but I do sea fish in the winter. Dog Fish are relatively easy to cach , they usually hang around piers after dark, or not far out and a piece of juicy mackerel tied onto a 2/0 or 3/0 mustad with elastic thread should do the trick, use a 4 or five oz gripper weight and lash it out. Doggies feed along the bottom and they will hone in on the scent of the mackerel.
    Hope this gets you started. Tight lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭ian 123

Hi Jaytoon,I fish Howth quite often and its a bad time to be fishing out there. Although things should be picking up now. If I were you I would go into a tackle shop, ask for a german sprat. This imitates a wounded fish when slowly spun in. You should get quite a few fish doing so. Another option is to go up to Howth in the summer and see what tackle everybody else uses and see what is working for them. Dogfish are generally easy enough to catch once you know where to fish for them. All you need is a gripper weight and a lump of mackerel on your hook. I find Greystones very good for dogfish on summer evenings. I hope I helped you a bit and dont forget,local knowlegde is often the best knowledge ;) cheers, Ian

Advertisement