Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jade's Legacy?

• 16-03-2009 2:45pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,807 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Some of you might not think this is a serious question.

The Sun features Jade every day, and supporters of hers constantly refer to her "Legacy" and how she has been an "Inspiration".

My question is: What, in your opinion, is Jade's legacy, and how exactly has she inspired you (if she has)?

Comments

She's inspired me to avoid Sky News and the Sun like they're some kind of latter day bubonic plague.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭acontadino

bahahahahah. inspired? the women is a fool. i only found out about her lately and just the very fact she matters in irish society is a sad inditement of our country.

an idiot for all to see, she belongs in a dustbin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,680 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

On the serious side, can't be easy having two small kids and knowing you'll never see them grow up.

Beyond that, no. She's a media whore. And the media are suckers for buying into it (not to mention the poeple that absorb it)

As for "legacy": now THERE'S a word that gets thrown about because it sounds good by people who have little idea what it actually means.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

.....and that Max Clifford guy is an absolute CRETIN.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 377 ✭✭garrincha62

Legacy?! What legacy.

She's faking...I've seen a lot of spinals in my time dude and this guy walks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

acontadino wrote: »
    an idiot for all to see, she belongs in a dustbin.

And you have the cheek to call her an idiot with a comment like that? :rolleyes:

I have nothing but sympathy for her health situation. A girl I knew passed away at the weekend from cancer. 21 years of age with her whole life ahead of her. Jade Goody is not that much older and has the extra matter of small children who rely on their mother. How anyone can wish her dead (and it's been said in many places) is absolutely disgusting and can only come from the mouths/keyboards of the real scum of the Earth.

Yes she's a bit of a clown and a media whore but the bottom line is she's dying from a terminal disease that could affect anyone at any time so if it raises even a small bit of awareness then I for one will be happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I used to be depressed about being useless and pointless.

Now Jade Goody has shown us all that being useless isn't a problem. I thought I had to invent stuff and achieve stuff to get that elusive media coverage but Jade has broken new ground for us. That is her legacy.

I think the Pope should act quickly to move her towards sainthood when she passes on. But, of course, she can't become St. Jade right off - she will be first given the title Blessed. Bloody rules!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

.....and that Max Clifford guy is an absolute CRETIN.:mad:

Well said, between Jade Goody and Kerry Katona this chap must have his hands full. Awareness of her situation is good but if he had any decency he would pull from her the public eye at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,755 ✭✭✭smokingman

Jade who?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Mod voice: Please remember that the rules are stricter in this forum than, say, After Hours. Therefore we will tolerate a lot less. Anyone who crosses the line with their comments will be banned. While Jade Goody may be a media whore and many people strongly dislike her, she is a young woman who is dying. Please bear that in mind when posting. There will be no jokes about her, and do not post just to get a rise out of people who care.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Xavi6 wrote: »
    And you have the cheek to call her an idiot with a comment like that? :rolleyes:

I have nothing but sympathy for her health situation. A girl I knew passed away at the weekend from cancer. 21 years of age with her whole life ahead of her. Jade Goody is not that much older and has the extra matter of small children who rely on their mother. How anyone can wish her dead (and it's been said in many places) is absolutely disgusting and can only come from the mouths/keyboards of the real scum of the Earth.

Yes she's a bit of a clown and a media whore but the bottom line is she's dying from a terminal disease that could affect anyone at any time so if it raises even a small bit of awareness then I for one will be happy.

well said.

If i hear another idiot piping on about all the other people in the world with cancer who aren't having documentaries made/articles written about them i think i'm going to scream.

Until you're in that position, where you'll have to leave two young kids forever, you're in no position to judge. She has done two things: 1. raised a huge amount of awareness about cervical cancer and greatly increased the number of women who are tested for it. A good thing? Certainly
    2. She's basically provided for her kids entire futures. Again, a good thing.

It's a small price to pay for the rest of us to have to put up with Newspaper articles we don't have to read, tv shows we don't have to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

While it is sad that she is near the end, I think it is even sadder that society calls people who win "reality" tv shows "celebrities". If you think the coverage surrounding her illness/death was big, just wait til the likes of Sky get hold of the funeral!!!???

You'll see something along the lines of Princess Diana's death/funeral.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

I don't know if I would use the word 'inspired' but she has pushed a lot of young women to go get a smear test and not see cervical cancer as something that old people get.

Potentially, that saves lives.

Granted, this would have happened had it been any high profile person.

But so what, it's still a good thing and something that is a fact, not opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Her legacy (all the awareness creation for cancer notwithstanding):

1. She has shown up the vacuity of the general public in the 21st Century.
    2. A generous contribution to the general dumbing-down of popular culture.
    3. An example of the media and the zeitgeist-makers foisting on the general public a person who is not a good role model for children.
    4. Proof positive that terminal illness changes your tabloid name from "Racist Jade" to "Brave Jade". 140,000 hits on Google for "Brave Jade".
    5. An inspiration to the youth of today that you do not need to work or achieve anything or develop any talent to become quite rich.

Now mods, hope I haven't offended anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

She has put me off Big Brother forever.

She has made my Partner be a little more concerned about smear testing.

She has shown me the lengths a person will lower themselves to get on TV.

She will be gone and forgotten about 2 weeks after her demise.

She will have very rich children (money)

Here hubby will be in jail hopefully for his loutish behaviour.

People who think they will "miss her" will find some other celebrity to sneer at for a while. After all .

That's show business .

and the show must go on!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,116 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Don't get me wrong, I always hated Jade Goody. I hated everything she represented.

I sympathised for her, no matter what she did or said in the past, no-one deserved to go through what she's been going through. At the end of the day, she is a 27 year old mum to 2 beautiful boys.

I wasn't too surprised about her being in the mags, with the "all exclusive" interviews with Heat, Mirror, Sun, Daily Mail, etc.
    At the start, when no-one really knew how bad it was, I just thought..."Jade, there she goes again :rolleyes:", but then when we found out it was terminal, and she only had weeks/months to live, I did feel for her. I could see why she did it...to make some money for her sons in the future. Fair enough. But it got to a point where enough is enough.

If, God forbid, if I found out that I was ill and had only a matter of weeks to live, I would want to spend every last minute of my time with my family and friends.
    In the long-run, which do you think the 2 boys would appreciate more, some money made from indepth interviews told at her bedside, or those final, precious moments spent with their beloved mum before her untimely death?
    I know which one I would prefer.

I know its not just her. That Max Clifford is a relentless little snake. We see page after page of "Jade's last days", "I'm ready to go", "Not long now", etc etc etc.

Now there is talk of televising her funeral??!!
    How the bloody hell does she think the boys will feel 10 years from now??!! Seeing all these articles of their giving such indepth accounts of her pain and suffering, and then seeing footage of her funeral?!

I think it is great that she has raised awareness of cervical cancer and smear tests/screening, it is always a great thing.
    But she really started to exploit it, made it tacky really, the wedding, the interviews, the show...it jsut got too excessive.

I don't think we are going to hear the end of it for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

her legacy is to get on Big Brother take all your clothes off and act like an idiot and hey presto your famous

Advertisement