Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wimax Coverage Map?

Options
  • 16-03-2009 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭

hi i live in a rural area in cork and have no hardwired landline, i have a wireless type. i'm trying to find out abaout wimax but the phone operators at eircom leave a lot to be desired. i emailed the fwa link on the webpage and got a response saying wimax or satellite are my only options and to ring sales but sales were a disaster. does anyone here know if there are wimax coverage maps and base station locations out there for cork? thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭johnciall

i don't think theirs anyone in cork offering wimax is there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

There are a few operators offering wireless broadband in rural areas in Cork. I'm in the South West and use Digitalforge. There are others. Google Wireless broadband Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

There is very little Wimax infra-structure in Ireland and even less of that is used for consumer end delivery.
    Judging from the limited information you provide I would say that 3G/HSDPA is your best bet...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭dunworth1

i think irishbroadband do have coverage in cork

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Skillie

thanks for the responses, afraid at the moment it looks like all i'll get from a mobile BB perspective is edge coverage in my area. I may try irishbroadband but not holding much hope at this point. there are other wireless BB providers in the area but due to my location amongst forestry land i am not in coverage and don't have line of sight.

• Advertisement

It would help if you gave a more exact indication of your location...

mayhem# wrote: »
    It would help if you gave a more exact indication of your location...

Why? I don't really want to give my house location out via the net.

I'm in North Cork, 15 miles from the city, 2 miles as the crow flies from a decent sized village to one side and about 3 miles the other way to the nearest masts (mobile and BB) which are on top of a hill. As mentioned i've forestry on all sides so this does me no favours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

If you have line of site anywhere within 100m of your house you can run a cat5 cable to the antenna. I have about 70m of cable through forestry to my antenna.

FSL wrote: »
    If you have line of site anywhere within 100m of your house you can run a cat5 cable to the antenna. I have about 70m of cable through forestry to my antenna.

thanks for the info

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I think people are mixing up wireless broadband (line of sight) and wimax. There's no companies in Ireland offering wimax (afaik). However there is one company who will be offering this service by the summer (in Dublin) and eventually all over Ireland thereafter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Some_Person

Alphawave seem to do a WiMax class network at Waterford Airport, but they don't cover any parts of Cork(especially not with WiMax).

''Wimax class'' says to me ''not really wimax, but nearly''.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I think people are mixing up wireless broadband (line of sight) and wimax. There's no companies in Ireland offering wimax (afaik). However there is one company who will be offering this service by the summer (in Dublin) and eventually all over Ireland thereafter.

There is WiMax in Ireland, the 3400-3800MHZ spectrum is licenced in Ireland for WiMax. There's no mobile WiMax, but there's loads of Fixed Wireless providers delivering broadband through WiMax. I install WiMax every day

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    There is WiMax in Ireland, the 3400-3800MHZ spectrum is licenced in Ireland for WiMax. There's no mobile WiMax, but there's loads of Fixed Wireless providers delivering broadband through WiMax. I install WiMax every day
    For who?

For who?

For WestNet who have the WiMax licence for Mayo

For WestNet who have the WiMax licence for Mayo
    Interesting, do you know of any other providers?

Yes, Lastmile have several WiMax licences in the midlands. I think Irish Broadband has the licence for Sligo

Yes, Lastmile have several WiMax licences in the midlands. I think Irish Broadband has the licence for Sligo
    Both of those only provide line of sight wireless.

And Last Mile are bloody expensive!! :eek:

Both of those only provide line of sight wireless.

Yes, its not the magical solution everyone expected, it still requires a partial line of sight, (although it will work without LOS and through light trees closer to the base station). I've had several situations where it takes reflections. With LOS it can cover some serious distances.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭gingerGiant

[QUOTE=MagicMarker;59649787. However there is one company who will be offering this service by the summer (in Dublin) and eventually all over Ireland thereafter.[/QUOTE]

Which company would this be?

I'll have a guess at Irish Broadband due to a rumour I recently heard, can you confirm?

• Advertisement

Tbh, I don't know if I'm allowed say, but afaik there should be some ad campaigns starting soon.

It will start off in Dublin in June/July, covering 5 areas, from then on it will be expanded across the country bit by bit.

Alphawave seem to do a WiMax class network at Waterford Airport, but they don't cover any parts of Cork(especially not with WiMax).

There's Wimax or there are other technologies.
    "Wimax class " is NOT wimax. It's probably one of those proprietary technologies marketed before either of the Wimax standards were ratified.

But none of it is residential Wimax is it now?

mayhem# wrote: »
    But none of it is residential Wimax is it now?

Yes it is, its all residential. Wimax is just the technology used to deliver to the customer, No different to any other FWA, just better coverage and greater distances

Yes it is, its all residential. Wimax is just the technology used to deliver to the customer, No different to any other FWA, just better coverage and greater distances

Westnet is deploying residential Wimax?!
    You learn something new everyday obviously.
    What equipment are you using?

Advertisement