Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.22LR whats next???

Options
  • 16-03-2009 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

I currently have a, bruno .22LR with a decent fix scope, for which i use it for target shooting and rabbits, i am now looking for a rifle up from this but for the intention of foxs and of course those pesky wabbits :).

Can anyone give me an idea on what i should be looking for, something that packs a punch for 200yards +

I have had the .22lr for a year now and ready to move up in the next 6 to 12 months?:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Sikamick

This is an excellent round, Rifles not that expensive especially if you go for a secondhand one. A lot of deer stalkers have upgraded to heavier Calibres, so there is a good secondhand market in them.

Excellent on foxes and for long range rabbits.

Sikamick

I currently have a, bruno .22LR with a decent fix scope, for which i use it for target shooting and rabbits, i am now looking for a rifle up from this but for the intention of foxs and of course those pesky wabbits :).

Can anyone give me an idea on what i should be looking for, something that packs a punch for 200yards +

I have had the .22lr for a year now and ready to move up in the next 6 to 12 months?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭gofaster_s13

Not sure about other areas but Portlaoise and Naas will only grant licences for 22.250 if accompanied with a deer permit also ammo for the 22.250 is on the expensive side for rabbits. A .223 is a nice all round caliber.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭time lord

I shoot a lot but have never moved up the calibers. All the lads I shoot with have and they swear by a 223/5.56. Ammo priced affordable and shoots out to 300 yds. Dont entertain any mindless hunters who shoot foxes with .17HMR's. Its cruel and bad for the sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Sikamick

Yes I agree with the lads, the ammo for the 22.250 is a good bit more expensive than the .223.

.223 if its only going to be rabbit and fox, but if at a later stage you wish to shoot deer well that's another question. I have used mine for over forty years and I really like the Rifle and round.

Sikamick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

i use the .223 for the foxes and the rabbits ,find it brilliant with a wide range of different types of ammo ,and its cheap enough as well
    american eagle=12 for box of twenty ,ya cant go wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

I had a similar thread recently, I have it narrowed down to a 22-250 or a .223, the .223 being the most likely. It will probably be easier to get the license and the ammo is not much dearer than 22LR ammo as its a NATO round.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

My personal preference is my beloved .220 swift.

Much eaiser to get licenced than either .223 or 22-250 but fiercely expensive to run.

Taking the price and variety of ammo into consideration .223 is probably the best way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Macnab, .223 is not the same as 5.56 NATO. Stick a NATO round in a .223 Remington chamber and you get about 20,000 psi more pressure on firing than from the .223 round, and if you're unlucky, it could ruin your whole day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

Are you in a gun club ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Sparks wrote: »
    Macnab, .223 is not the same as 5.56 NATO. Stick a NATO round in a .223 Remington chamber and you get about 20,000 psi more pressure on firing than from the .223 round, and if you're unlucky, it could ruin your whole day.

Its AMAZING how many people think the two are the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Jonty wrote: »
    Its AMAZING how many people think the two are the same.

You can safely fire .223 from a 5.56N chambered rifle but not vice versa. Probably where the confusion comes from. Kinda (but not really;)) like the fact that you can fire 2.5inch 12 guage shells from a 3.5inch chambered shotgun but not vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

You can safely fire a .223 out of a 5.56 allright, but because of the differences in the throat, it won't be nearly as accurate as using the right ammo in the right rifle...

Advertisement