Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scaffold over troubled waters

Options
  • 16-03-2009 3:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Hi all,

I have a scaffold in my right ear, had it done by Steve in Snakebite around ten years ago or so. Apart from the hellish healing process I've had no problem until now. The metal is rubbing the cartilage in my ear and it's very sore, lots of gunk etc.

Is this the end of my jewellery? I tried having the two earrings in seperately to give the area a chance to heal but as soon as I put the bar back in it starts rubbing again.

Any advice sincerely appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Pop in to Steve, I'm sure he'd be only too happy to have a look at it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

have d scaffold about a year, and i do admit it is a very awkward piercing to heal and clean, but have had no major problems, apart from d first week when i went changing d bar (i know i should've left it alone, but it was way too big for my ear)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

The bigger bars/rings are put in at the start to allow for any swelling etc... They usually say to come back after X amount of time and that they'll change the jewellery then when they put in a larger bar to accomodate swelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

ya but this bar was about 2 inches too long, and i waited a week for swelling to go down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 garylarson

Pop in to Steve, I'm sure he'd be only too happy to have a look at it for you.

oh no doubt!

unfortunately I don't live in or near Dublin anymore,

I think it's 10 years of sleeping on my right side that has caused the damage!! not sure if I can wear that jewellery again as it's cut a groove into my ear :( was wishfully thinking that there'd be another way but just can't see it!

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

It sounds like you just need to get to get a new scaffold bar. You can measure the one you have, and get another a mm or two longer, preferrably internally threaded.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

I had a problem with my scaffold, in that the middle of the bar seemed to tear away at my ear, looked like my ear was growing around the bar. I went to my piercer, he popped in two rings for 3 weeks and bent the bar for me so it wasn't grinding against my ear. Not sure if that's what you're experiencing though.

Advertisement