Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

second hand car disaster

Options
  • 16-03-2009 3:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi, I bought a car last feb for 24000 from a reputable garage and since then have had the same problem with turbo and loss of power. I brought it to their attention during warrrnaty and still problem persists. To date they haev had it in for the same repair 6 times and given me a replacement while it is being fixed. I have asked now for a refund or replacement and as I am sick of the repair option I dont know where I stand. I asked the last time and said I was sick of it but they isisted on repairing it and now today the same thing. Can I take a claim to get a replacement or refund and will I have to pay for a solicitor. The car is a dud and to date has had 2 door lock reoplacements, two spare wheel undercarriages and I lost a tv out the back door as the lock they fitted was faulty and I smashed the tv on the road. It is a 7 seater and I am so dissoppointed and wnat them to tkae it back even though the warranty is out but the problem started when it was in warranty

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

What has their response to your request for a refund or replacement been?

You have a right to both obviously, but they have a right to try and fix it first but this is really pushing it. Tell them you'll accept either a replacement or a refund or you'll be contacting a solicitor to pursue the issue more formally.

Garages are flat broke at the moment so a claim against them in court won't be appealing to them.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Yes they have the option to repair a fault 3 times by law and if the problem persists then they have to replace or refund.

Not 100% on that but if I remember rightly thats how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

If you paid 24k for it, I think it's time to call in legal advice. Something we can't give you on Boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭amerden

If they belong to SIMI contact them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 emilyjane1975

Hi, thank you for the replies, thier response when I asked for a refund or replacement was that there was no way I would get a refund and that they had no similar car in stock to match what I had so insisted on repairing it again. To date they have had it in 5 times since January as my insurance company have asked why I keep transferring my insurance temporarilly and that after the fifth time they would have to charge for the transfer. I rang them back today and said I would have to leave it in the hands of my solicitor and he rang back and asked me if I would accept a good deal on a more expensive model in stock I said no, as I spent my money last year and wont part with a penny. I think the difference in price in 2000 but I will not accept it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

jonny24ie wrote: »
    Yes they have the option to repair a fault 3 times by law and if the problem persists then they have to replace or refund.
    Nope, not law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

are they a reputable garage or just some back street dealers importing uk models etc? they should be able to give you a similar model worth the same as the dud they sold you, or a full refund as you may not now have any faith in their ability to provide any decent after sales care which is seperate from any warranty they may provide. your only option if they refuse to refund is get in touch with a solicitor but your costs would most likely be awarded if you win your case in court.

on a safety note maybe you should have an independant mechanic check out the car as it could be a danger to you and others on the road if it were two cars welded together or a repaired write-off etc this would also give an indication of the general condition of the car and whether it was fit for purpose etc

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

OP, maybe give the consumer advice bureau a call (1890 432 432) and see what they say. I know I had trouble with a second hand car and they said to me that second hand cars can be complicated because the warranty doesn't cover 'wear and tear' so it can sometimes be hard to prove what was wrong with the car was there when you bought it.

TBH, with the amount of money that's involved, I'd also be getting in touch with a solicitor. And as foggy_lad said, get a mechanic (maybe AA or the like) out to have a look at the car to be on the safe side.

Advertisement