Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tourism in Waterford

• 16-03-2009 12:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭

Have to agree with Merlante on the whole heritage side of the City centre. I don't think there's any other city in Ireland with as much of the narrow streets winding around the City walls and the various historical landmarks. Bit like a mini Galway really which I love. Whenever I'm back down in the home turf from college I always make a point of taking a nice big walk around the old walls and cathedral square etc. Tis a shame though because I think the council could do more to promote these heritage areas. Only time they're really appreciated in is the summer when the walking tours kick off big time. For the rest of the year they are majorly underappreciated I think. Personally the killer for Waterford at the moment is the utter lack of culture, apart from the drinking culture that is. Had my girlfirend down with me who is in the final year of her art degree and I wanted to bring her around to a few galleries but alas there are none. The greyfriars one looked desolate and garter lane run small exhibitons now and again but nothing major. I know that there are lovely concerts run in the christ church and there are plenty of plays etc in the theatres but overall the city gives off a vibe that kinda tears the arese out of it. If there was a cultural revival taking advantage of the many great aspects of the city other than pubs it would be fantastic.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Asmodean wrote: »
    overall the city gives off a vibe that kinda tears the arese out of it. If there was a cultural revival taking advantage of the many great aspects of the city other than pubs it would be fantastic.

I couldn't agree more. We have everything that Galway has, its just not being used properly. This is the most historic city in Ireland, and the architecture and reflects that. I still go back to the idea that looking to the small European cities that have the large open space at their centre is the key to revitalising Waterford city. If anyone has been to Brussels, Bruges or Krakow, you'll know what I mean.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Waterford has more city walls then Kilkenny does yet Kilkenny utilises them more and uses them for tourists....you think Waterford would push the tourist factor but they never do...insane imho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

We're a good bit away form the Prague's of the world though aren't we?

IMHO, I don't think there really is anything of note here for tourists. We could do quite well out of the cruises. That walking tour around the city is seemingly very good but not very well known of.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

ziedth wrote: »
    We're a good bit away form the Prague's of the world though aren't we?

IMHO, I don't think there really is anything of note here for tourists. We could do quite well out of the cruises. That walking tour around the city is seemingly very good but not very well known of.

Lets see...tourists in waterford
    - Good access for water events
    - city walls & the tower
    - good beaches in the area
    - wasn't the first irish flag raised in waterford why is this not used?

I'm sure there is many more, seems nobody can be bothered trying

Cabaal wrote: »
    Lets see...tourists in waterford
    - Good access for water events
    - city walls & the tower
    - good beaches in the area
    - wasn't the first irish flag raised in waterford why is this not used?

I'm sure there is many more, seems nobody can be bothered trying

I didn't even know that about the flag.

See apart from the Walls/Tower which we dont make enough use of I don't see any difference between us and any random city in ireland or EU on a larger scale.

• Advertisement

See apart from the Walls/Tower which we dont make enough use of I don't see any difference between us and any random city in ireland or EU on a larger scale.

The average joe living in the city doesn't have to, tourists have to :)

I don't see much of a difference with Kilkenny (ok it has the castle right in the center of the city) but tourists really seem to like the place, Waterford should really be working with what it has and it doesn't seem to be bothering which is sad to see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

There's a good debate going on here, but any chance it could go back on topic? I'm hoping that common-sense will prevail and TK Maxx will resume it's normal operation and jobs will be saved. Yet everytime I see that the thread has been updated, it's to do with the city walls!!

I know...I'm being a pr*ck :D

And you know what else about the walls :D

Ya your dead rightly Budd, If Mods want to turn the tourist points into a new thread i'm all for it.

I can't see common sense wining through with regards to TK Maxx. Must be tough on the people working there as its not exactly a retail dream out there at the min.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Split on request. :)

The South East is never promoted enough tbh.

See to me Kilkenny just has a better "feel" to it in regards to what tourists would be looking for. At least if I go on a city break I want to be able to wonder around cobbled streets ETC drinking coffee watching people float by.

I would be seriously be looking into beefing up activites locally. For me Tramore beach could really be turned into something that would really attract people outside of those who go too the amusements.

• Advertisement

See to me Kilkenny just has a better "feel" to it in regards to what tourists would be looking for. At least if I go on a city break I want to be able to wonder around cobbled streets ETC drinking coffee watching people float by.

I would be seriously be looking into beefing up activites locally. For me Tramore beach could really be turned into something that would really attract people outside of those who go too the amusements.

I agree. I've always wondered why beaches in Ireland don't have similar piers to those in LA or the UK. Something like that would do wonders for Tramore and Waterford.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Any tourist iv spoke to wasn't impressed with kilkenny! I personally like it myself and think its a great shame Waterford doesn't have similar. It took ages to fix the tower by railway square and its still closed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 cityboi

a tourist wanders into the city -

name 10 attractions to keep em happy for the day ?

waterford crystal (soon again i hope)
    Jack Burchell Walking Tour
    Reginalds Tower
    Waterford Treasures @ The Granary

what else?????????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

I may have some good tourism news for ye over the next few days/weeks.. of the hot air balloon variety!

Hint... Keep September free and start the novenas for low wind and loads of sun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Myself and a large group of friends went to Waterford for the October bank holiday weekend. While there we went to the greyhound racing and Waterford Glass, and did a bus trip out around the coast, for which we hired a bus. We had a couple of nights on the town too. Wherever you go, with a bit of organisation, you can have a good weekend. Areas need to promote themselves, but tourists can take a bit of initiative to have a good visit too.

Well said Flukey,

IMO I just think the city/county could market itself better even without spending shed loads of cash say on doing up the prom in Tramore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Thanks Flukey, always nice to hear an opinion from someone who doesn't live here. There are some nice debates going on here, I like it. I don't think we should be focusing on tourist 'attractions' here. There are plenty of natural attractions in the City that just aren't being utilised. Generally the place just has a bit of a slummy look. I've never met anyone as proud of their City as Waterfordians are, but this pride sadly seems to collapse when dealing with tourist aspects. Look at the quays for example, I know its been discussed to the death but my god they are one of the best examples of natural infrastructure in the country and the potential for them would be mind-blowing if the correct initiative was taken.
    Just compare the amount of money that has been funnelled into redoing pubs and clubs/building new pubs and clubs in the City and think of how better that money could have been spent somewhere else. I think Waterford needs some more big festival type events to encourage tourism. Something like a film festival, decent music festival etc. A lot of comparisons made with Kilkenny. Just look at how well they manage the cat laughs every year. If Waterford had a similar high profile festival it would be fantastic.
    Sadly it seems that we don't bother with this sort of thing. In all fairness though got to hand it to the people in charge of the tall ship festival and its return to come. Ye can do it when ye try!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭deise-lady

I nearly cry walking through Cathedral Square beside christchurch these days. In any other city, those little 18th century houses would be cafes and book shops and art galleries.
    In Waterford, they are derelict and covered in grafitti.The council and/or Failte should buy them with a compulsory purchase order (if they don't already own them). I get so angry when I think of all the celtic tiger years when things like this could have been done.

it's an awful shame. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

In any other city, those little 18th century houses would be cafes and book shops and art galleries.
    Couldn't agree more with you. Its those little touches and simple ideas that could take the city to the next level. Never mind huge shopping centres etc we have all we need, just lacking any imagination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Elle Victorine

Actually does anyone remember when the french church (beside greyfriars) was used for an acustic set during spraoi? Probably the best it has ever been used for. SO sad that after all the work on the outside that the inside cannot be viewed. But such is the way of heritage in a city centre.

I wish they would also finish that job on the old wall behind masons also. It's so annoying to look at those wooden barriers. ANd as for where the original entrance gates to the city were...you know that dingy alleyway across from georges court? THey actually bring tours down there!!! The shame of it.

But I agree with those georgian houses too. It would be lovely to see something going in there but I was under the impression the corporation had bought up those properties with an aim for redevelopment. Saw a proposal for it a while back. Something about developing the area around reginald's tower to be a heritage area. Would make sense really. It's only around the corner that the first tricolour was ever flown.

Personally I would just like to see the woodstown excavations completed. That wold be an amazing start and would significantly increase our status with regard to our viking heritage.

• Advertisement

It never fails to amaze me whenever I travel to the US, how on every busy road, there's a multitude of huge American flags flying. It looks great and I can see why so many Americans have such national pride. It's hard not to!

In Ireland, you rarely see such a thing. The largest tricolour I can think of is the one at Superquinn, but even that is too small.

I would love the city to erect a huge (and aesthetically-pleasing) pole on the little island between the Tower Hotel and Reginald's Tower and have a massive Tricolour flying permanently from it. A reminder (or a lesson) to us all about the origins of our nation's flag.

We could even put 'Davy Keogh says hello' on it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

if i was a tourist visitin waterford id find it very off putting at times,mates from different countries have come n visited and no matter where theyre from,germany,italy etc they always comment on three things that they dont like about wford,the amount of graffiti in the old areas,like the houses Deisemum was describling,and the amount of litter and dog**** in the town,which seems to be everywhere.

i totally agree with them,especially about the dog****,its like walkin through a minefield in some areas of the town at times tryin not t get ****e on yer runners,the corpo shud do something about that,more cleaners and fine the fcuk out of people that leave their litter/dogs ****e in the street and name n shame them in the local rags.

we definately dont make the most out of our city,which is a huge shame as the potential is enormous,especially on the quayside,get rid of the car parks etc and put up more attractions,like a little cafe with seats outside,sort out the dingy buildings on the other side of the river(the old flour mill?)which they were sup to do ages ago :mad:

Deise-lady i meant,sorry:)

I really like the Idea of another festival cause TBF Sproai weekend is always well organised,

With the semi-secent Venues i'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to set-up a decent music one?

Considering the 100,000 People* that went to skyfest if we could bring in half that number over a weekend into the city we'd be doing well.

* This number may have been plucked out of thin air.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

anplaya wrote: »
    if i was a tourist visitin waterford id find it very off putting at times,mates from different countries have come n visited and no matter where theyre from,germany,italy etc they always comment on three things that they dont like about wford,the amount of graffiti in the old areas,like the houses Deisemum was describling,and the amount of litter and dog**** in the town,which seems to be everywhere.

i totally agree with them,especially about the dog****,its like walkin through a minefield in some areas of the town at times tryin not t get ****e on yer runners,the corpo shud do something about that,more cleaners and fine the fcuk out of people that leave their litter/dogs ****e in the street and name n shame them in the local rags.

we definately dont make the most out of our city,which is a huge shame as the potential is enormous,especially on the quayside,get rid of the car parks etc and put up more attractions,like a little cafe with seats outside,sort out the dingy buildings on the other side of the river(the old flour mill?)which they were sup to do ages ago :mad:

Considering the amount of graffiti and dog **** covering large parts of Berlin, I don't think the Germans can say anything.

I always find that those coming to Waterford from elsewhere talk of the place as being very nice and pleasant, with lots of interesting buildings. Obviously Waterford people tend to be negative. I live with a guy from Dublin who considers himself privileged to live in the centre of an old city amongst the likes of the French church, Greyfriars, Christ Church, Olaf's church, the Franciscan Friary, Reginald's tower, city hall, Bishop's palace, to name but a few. There is a lot of beauty and charm in the city centre that the locals overlook.

That said, the state of cathedral square is nothing short of a tragedy. The hoarding just gone up around the arch beside the theatre royal is ugly. While it is funny that Luke Wadding often sports a bottle of miller in his right hand, tourists pass by and he is the centre of attention while they are told all about him *every day*. (The fact that nobody in Waterford knows as much about Luke Wadding as a passing American tourist, is a different but related problem.) There is perennial wasteland on the corner of Peter st. by Henrietta st. and on High st. where the old sorting office was, while drunks and graffiti are scattered about the area liberally.

The quay is a complete waste of a waterfront. But then, with taxis and traders trying to get traffic brought back into JR square -- which they refuse to call anything other than Broad st. -- and people bitching constantly about parking, it's hard to see the citizens of Waterford are sufficiently enlightened to see through the removal of the carparks on the quay.

merlante wrote: »
    Considering the amount of graffiti and dog **** covering large parts of Berlin, I don't think the Germans can say anything.

population of berlin-3,416,300 .population of waterford-49,950.more people ,more dogs,less space to avoid the dog****,but theyre not from berlin. so i cant comment on that for them.just that they said theyres loads of dog **** on pavements in waterford.apart from that and graffiti and litter they thought the place was great.and i agree with them about the dog ****,its a disgrace .

merlante wrote: »

population of berlin-3,416,300 .population of waterford-49,950.more people ,more dogs,less space to avoid the dog****,but theyre not from berlin. so i cant comment on that for them.just that they said theyres loads of dog **** on pavements in waterford.apart from that and graffiti and litter they thought the place was great.and i agree with them about the dog ****,its a disgrace .

More people, also more cleaners, and higher density and economies of scale should lead to less dog **** in a big place, not more. Actually, graffiti in Berlin is a cultural thing. The dog **** is just annoying, just like here.

Your friends are probably from some lovely town somewhere, but there are also plenty of decaying, cold war era industrial towns, sporting neo-nazies and crumbling buildings, where unemployment is permanently where Waterford was in the 80's. I like Germany, but it ain't perfect.

Why do Waterford people concentrate on the negatives, whilst people from other places talk up the positives? Don't assume that things are better elsewhere, generally everywhere has its problems, even the superficially nice places. People do holiday in Waterford afterall and report good experiences.

whats neo nazis got to do with dog ****?jesus, im from waterford too,born,bred here,at the end of their stay here regardless if they were german or not,they were tourists,i asked them what did they like/didnt like about waterford. .theyre the tourists ,not us, so we should listen to them so we know what the tourists like so we can attract more.

whats neo nazis got to do with dog ****?jesus, im from waterford too,born,bred here,at the end of their stay here regardless if they were german or not,they were tourists,i asked them what did they like/didnt like about waterford. .theyre the tourists ,not us, so we should listen to them so we know what the tourists like so we can attract more.

Fine, listen to the tourists, but you seem to be under the impression that Waterford has worse dog **** and graffiti problems than elsewhere. That isin't necessarily the case.

• Advertisement

Not everybody is going to like where they visit or where they stay. Iv met tourists who love the place and who hate the place. Tourists who thought Tramore was scummy and who loved it. I was at a conference in a hotel once and I spoke to a lady complaining about having to stay in a B&B and not the hotel. Its a given people wont be happy but you should take their feedback and try act on it anyway.

Advertisement