Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tourism in Waterford

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

Sully wrote: »
    Not everybody is going to like where they visit or where they stay. Iv met tourists who love the place and who hate the place. Tourists who thought Tramore was scummy and who loved it. I was at a conference in a hotel once and I spoke to a lady complaining about having to stay in a B&B and not the hotel. Its a given people wont be happy but you should take their feedback and try act on it anyway.

+1,i totally agree with you,thats what ive been trying to say,we should take what theyre sayin ,and make the place better,i mean they go home and they tell family/relatives who in turn tell friends etc.if theyre gonna paint a bad image of the place ,obviously less tourists will come here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

merlante wrote: »
    Fine, listen to the tourists, but you seem to be under the impression that Waterford has worse dog **** and graffiti problems than elsewhere. That isin't necessarily the case.

never said that it has worse dog ****/graffiti problems than anywhere else.you were the one bringing up berlin as i said i had german friends here and they commented on what they didnt like when i asked them.were talkin about waterford,and what tourists have said,and how we can make it better and attract more,ie clean up litter,dog **** and graffiti.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭MGilly84

I Have to agree with all you've said. Theres absolutley no reason why Waterford City and County shouldnt rate among the premier tourist destinations in Ireland. One of the main reasons for our lack of visitor numbers is the absolute and utter incompetance of our regional tourism board and also the local authorities and local heritage and civic committees. I Mean for an example you look at the Irish Tourism Boards recent advert, with the views of rolling mountains and beautiful scenery in other countys, biking in the shannon, boating, historical buildings, panoramic views of every other county and yet the tag line for waterford is "get blown out in waterford" with a scene of a bloke with a big dirty pint in his hands chattin up some bird.

I love a pint as much as the next fella, and must say im proud of our nite scene too, but why arent we selling the wider aspect of the county. As has been mentioned the castle walls, and tour walking in the city, Picturesque villages such as Ardmore and the Round tower. Fishing on the River Blackwater between Lismore and Cappoquin where the river turns at a 45 degree angle a sight many cant explain. Hiking in the Knockmealdowns or Comeraghs. Lismore Castle, Dungarvan Bay. Sailing down the Copper Coast (Europe's Biggest Geo Park) Fun in the Sun In Tramore, theres plenty to do other than drink in waterford, and more Irish History than you'll find in alot of other county's, I mean werent some of the first people to land on our shores landing in our fine county.

We just need to take a more pro-active approach in promoting our county at both a local level and regional level. And I have to say I cant see that happening through the Incompetent South Eastern Tourism Board. If community's and Chambers of commerce become more active in promoting themselves over the Web this would be a big step in the right direction. most town websites are dated and drab lookin. I Know of one small town in west waterford who currently has a feel good attitude of organising as many events as posssible in an attempt to purposely ignore and disrespect the recession and its working. all it takes is a bit of community spirit and effective marketing and visitor numbers will rise!!!!

Advertisement