Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC/NTL broadband & rapidshare problems

Options
  • 16-03-2009 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭

Over the last few days I'm have major connection problems connecting to rapidshare, I'm on a 20mb connection & also have a premium rapidshare account which I need for my work (photographer), I use it to upload/download images to & from clients worldwide, this is realy P***ing me off & impacting on my business,...is anyone aware of any throttling by UPC ?
    I can connect through a proxy but this does not allow me access to my premium account.
    Rgds

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

Rapidshare have been doing a lot of server upgrades in the last few days, I have also noticed these problems.
    Have been using upc and rs for bout a year now and have never noticed any throttling on downloads.

I would be confident the problem lies at the rs side...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭lensman

acalmenvoy wrote: »
    Rapidshare have been doing a lot of server upgrades in the last few days, I have also noticed these problems.
    Have been using upc and rs for bout a year now and have never noticed any throttling on downloads.

I would be confident the problem lies at the rs side...
    I spoke with RS later today & the Bast**ds said it's my BB provider, I bit my lip & carried out a few other tests & I have confirmed that RS are intermittently blocking connection requestes from my IP address, I have sent them a nice little email informing them that if the problem is not sorted out rapidly I will instruct paypal to seek a full refund of my fees

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 goldari777

I have been experiencing the same problem with NTL and Rapidshare, I originally thought this was a Rapidshare problem, but I then tried another internet download manager, this worked perfectly for about a week, spoke to NTL Tech support, Im on a 20 mbs connection from them, speedtests came back about 10 mbs, Tech guy instantly got this up to 16mbs, which is better but I work for a reputable Broadband provider and know various people working or who have worked for NTL and they can apply a boost to the service, these are fibre optic lines so are capable of 100mbs, its traffic shaping being applied, on the plus side we are far better off here than in UK if u have Virgin(formerly NTL) they rate limit the S$%£ out of you if you download anything during the day,

If anyone knows a solution to this problem please let me know,
    My downloads are working but very intermittently, it will download about 300mgs then stop for anything from 30mins to 1 hour.......Strange

I had pc checked for any malware, PC is clean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭_Sidhe_

goldari777 wrote: »
    I have been experiencing the same problem with NTL and Rapidshare, I originally thought this was a Rapidshare problem, but I then tried another internet download manager, this worked perfectly for about a week, spoke to NTL Tech support, Im on a 20 mbs connection from them, speedtests came back about 10 mbs, Tech guy instantly got this up to 16mbs, which is better but I work for a reputable Broadband provider and know various people working or who have worked for NTL and they can apply a boost to the service, these are fibre optic lines so are capable of 100mbs, its traffic shaping being applied, on the plus side we are far better off here than in UK if u have Virgin(formerly NTL) they rate limit the S$%£ out of you if you download anything during the day,

If anyone knows a solution to this problem please let me know,
    My downloads are working but very intermittently, it will download about 300mgs then stop for anything from 30mins to 1 hour.......Strange

I had pc checked for any malware, PC is clean.

Okay, that's just plain wrong right there.

Fiber needs a very strict and stable power level to work.
    If they "boosted" the signal coming out, it would knock you off altogether.
    That's how fibre works.

I'm guessing that they probly got you from 10-16 by rebooting the modem, or changing you from wireless to a direct cabled connection.

On cable BB, there's three real things that cause slow speeds.

Contention.
    Power levels being off (as in noise on the line or simply faulty equipment)
    Or deliberate throttling.

There's no magic "boost" button that the tech agent can press.

I agree with the Virgin thing however.
    Had them before, and they slow everything down, during peak times.
    Well they did in London anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Strange, I downloaded around 2 gig from RS last Sat, there wasnt any problem and I got decent speed. I am in UPC as will.

I will give it a try in the evening to see if anything changed in last couple of days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

You guys know that they can't throttle Rapidshare because of the type of connection it uses... right? :s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Dogg

Brimmy wrote: »
    You guys know that they can't throttle Rapidshare because of the type of connection it uses... right? :s

Sure they can. They don't have to throttle port 80 but just *.rapidshare.com destination:mad: I am experiencing the same problem and I am pretty sure it's NTL doing some funny business. First p2p now this!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Always get full speed off rapidshare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 goldari777

Sometimes whendownloading a small avi movie, dwnld starts but stops at 98% ... other times dwlds dont start at all, this is both IDM and Flashget, in both cases the error message is " an existing conection was forcebly closed by the remote host, this normally results in the peer application on the remote host is suddenly stopped, the host is rebooted or the remote host used a hardclose"

Also when i am downloading a non rapidshare download i have no problems,

ironically last sunday i did not have this problem????

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

It seems RS is still working fine for me. Just downloaded a 700 meg file without any problem with good speed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

I have a Premium account and use RS once or twice a day, no speed problems here on the 20Mb package.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

I downloaded 34 gigs on rapidshare last night(from midnight until 7.30am) on the 10 meg.. so I am happy enought to say the connection was maxed out.
    then on saturday during the day I download 12 gig during the afternoon, and then a further 8 gig on sunday after noon maxed out.
    have another 14 gig que up to start at 1am tonight too..
    but I did notice though tonight when playing on xbl whenever I hosted a game(only turned it on) people have fierce problems connecting to me in cod5(connecting to host/setting up game) is the screen they were stuck at... must be they throttling me thinking I was on torrents and stopping people connecting to me..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 feelfree65

I,m plugging <snip> today..as they source from 5 sites (including rapidshare)
    and they are free;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Raoul

My rapidshare isn't working!!! Anybody else having problems since yesterday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Lenny wrote: »
    I downloaded 34 gigs on rapidshare last night(from midnight until 7.30am) on the 10 meg.. so I am happy enought to say the connection was maxed out.
    then on saturday during the day I download 12 gig during the afternoon, and then a further 8 gig on sunday after noon maxed out.
    have another 14 gig que up to start at 1am tonight too..
    but I did notice though tonight when playing on xbl whenever I hosted a game(only turned it on) people have fierce problems connecting to me in cod5(connecting to host/setting up game) is the screen they were stuck at... must be they throttling me thinking I was on torrents and stopping people connecting to me..

Interesting Lenny.....

I have posted a couple of threads about my PS3 ON-line issues and all the LAG and connection problems I am having.
    I had a perfectly working system for weeks then LAG and connection issues have arisen?

I do (very seldom) P2P download ...

I called NTL and they did send a Tech and they said " we have changed a splitter in your house that would have caused the issues " B.U.L.L.S.H.I.T , I am still having LAG and connection problems.
    I am 100% confident i do not have a PORT , ROUTER , HARDWARE issue so all i am left with is ....

1.)Have NTL started to trottle anyone that they suspect of P2P downloading hence the online gaming issues .

2.)Their new product offering (BBB, PHONE,TV) package has been a major success , are all now having contention issues due to the large increase of users of their service ?

It has to be one of the above cause over the past few weeks the same problems with UPC have come up in different forms and post :

-On line gaming issues
    -Rapid share issue.
    -P2P issue.
    -speed issues.
    -ping issues.

All of which can only point back to one of the two points above (trottling or contention)

Keep a close eye on this as last thing we need is to be trottled or contention with many many other users.:eek:

My 2 pence worth.
    M.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

feelfree65 wrote: »
    I,m plugging *url snip* today..as they source from 5 sites (including rapidshare)
    and they are free;)

Reported

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭slyph

I'm with NTL and I feel my connection is getting throttled in the evenings.

Now is there much I can do as a consumer about this? I'm not a regular p2p downloader, I mainly play games online. I'm thinking that all I could really do is threaten to change isp?

I've never had much hassle with them before this and would even have advised people in my area to choose NTL.

But for the past few evenings my connection has being terrible. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

No problems with Rapidshare here, going full belt for me. Also, for a few weeks, MSN used to sign out regularly for me on UPC - hasn't been happening lately though which is good!

@slyph: Maybe your problem is contention? There may be a lot of users sharing your cable line in your area which will slow it down. Nout you can do really except change, since UPC will in all likelihood fob you off if you contact them.

Advertisement