Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which game genres "work" online?

Options
  • 16-03-2009 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭

I was just thinking about the new Forza and Gran Turismo games coming out and how fun it would be to play them online, but then I realized that those games would never work well online, because players would bump into you, drive like idiots and not play realistically at all, unless you are in a race with the real enthusiasts you'd never enjoy a race in that game.

IMHO there are very few games genres that work online, FPS being the best of them, RTS more or less. IMHO the games that focus on destroyed your opponent directly are the only ones that work, the only racing game I can imagine working fine online would Twisted Metal.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

I don't entirely agree - there's a racing game on the PC, cannot for the life of me remember the name.. but its VERY sim oriented, more so than any other game I've seen or played. I didn't play it for too long as it wasn't the experience I was looking for..

But a friend of mine plays it all the time, and for the enthusiats who play it, there are (outside of clans) an association of people who "drive properl" and don't be smashing into each other and wrecking the "simness" of it for those who want to play it for that reason..

So it is possible, but it is reliant on a community to hold together and play it the way they want it played.

Games that work easiest online for me a shooty games. which I loves :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

iRacing, maybe? It's a sim-like online racing game where you can report those who crash into you...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

testdriveunlimited?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Fighting games -- if you've got low ping.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Those really simulation-bound games like the sub hunter games and games like IL-2 Sturmovik since only the real enthusiasts play them.

"Yeah cool, planes. I get to fly planes, i get t- why does it take twenty minutes to taxi to the runway, run pre-flight checks and take off? I'm gonna go play Burnout Paradise."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Actually the really really nice things about sturmovik, are:

a) its about skill, unless you've got some basic skills you aren't even getting off the ground..that keeps the kiddies and retards out

b) its about skill, its not about knowing the map inside out or all the map exploits and key bindings.

c) It's about skill not about having the fast twitch response of a cobra on speed

d) Its about skill, not about your lvl or gear or XP.

e)Its about skill :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Re bumping in racing games - an online mode where it is impossible to collide with other cars would solve that problem. It would not be the most 'realistic' driving experience - but everyone would still be competing on equal terms, without fear of someone else ruining your race.
    CyberGhost wrote: »
    the only racing game I can imagine working fine online would Twisted Metal.

*snort* actually Twisted Metal is more a '3D arena-based vehicular shoot 'em up'.

\ me being a dick. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

^^ That's how trackmania does it. While not within a million miles of a sim, it provides a totally even playing field, and also serves to make the game somewhat asshole-proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

In fairness if there was a free roaming online racing game and you took a corner and seen 2 cars neck and neck coming at you, it would be funny to take one of them out.

Im sure if you know it can happen in the game world ala real world then the best racer would be the one who avoids it.

Your not ruining the race just making it more exciting :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

I thought Forza 2 was great online. Majority of people frowned on bumping and if you did it the host would kick you after the race. Plus you could turn collisions off, cars would pass through each other, which was a real test of skill but a little weird looking at first.

A management sim wouldn't work online I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

I wonder what Championship Manager online is like? It seems to attract a crowd, but I've not heard much about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Gallus

I think it works in racing games, sure you might get the odd ****er but you need to be able to collide with people. Racing is all about rubing and bumping! If your on the racing line you need to be able protect it. Plus if you have damage physics it can penalise players for excessive aggression

dreamers75 wrote: »
    In fairness if there was a free roaming online racing game and you took a corner and seen 2 cars neck and neck coming at you, it would be funny to take one of them out.

Im sure if you know it can happen in the game world ala real world then the best racer would be the one who avoids it.

Your not ruining the race just making it more exciting :D
    "Free roaming online racing"... cars driving opposite directions... "ala the real world".... :confused:

Yes... that's how it would be done in "the real world" - putting people in (dangerous) situations where competitors will randomly be taken out by folks driving into them is the very essence of 'racing'. :p :rolleyes:
    Gallus wrote: »
    I think it works in racing games, sure you might get the odd ****er but you need to be able to collide with people. Racing is all about rubing and bumping! If your on the racing line you need to be able protect it. Plus if you have damage physics it can penalise players for excessive aggression

Unless you have a full racing grid of friends to play online with all the time, you have to expect that other players will be the purest form of distilled 'assholery' imaginable. Damage physics punish everyone involved in the collision including the 'victim'. The griefers who get punished by having their engine/handling degraded are going to make their own fun by driving the wrong way around the track and into the path of others.

From the brief time I spent online in Forza 2, I have little faith in in fellow humans to behave in a manner appropriate to the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Fnz wrote: »
    "Free roaming online racing"... cars driving opposite directions... "ala the real world".... :confused:

Yes... that's how it would be done in "the real world" - putting people in (dangerous) situations where competitors will randomly be taken out by folks driving into them is the very essence of 'racing'. :p :rolleyes:

havent played Project Torque then? Players can race from A to B or race on a private type track, other players can be in between A to B.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:+ :rolleyes:

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Fnz wrote: »

havent played Project Torque then? Players can race from A to B or race on a private type track, other players can be in between A to B.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:+ :rolleyes:

That's fine for a game, I thought it funny that you said: "if you know it can happen in the game world ala real world..." and the implications of such a dangerous sport filled with random eliminations. :D

I generally prefer racing without the risk of randomized doom.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

RACE 07 and Trackmania Nations.

Played lots of RACE 07 online and never found one person looking to ruin the game. Sure i've seen some poor racing, but its a hard-to-master game, very easy to make mistakes.

Trackmania is surely the best example since you cant actually crash into anyone :pac:

Does any of the Flatout games count too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 cassiusdean

being playing Trackmania lately, frickin good game

Advertisement