Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Only got 335 in mocks but need a lot more.

Options
  • 16-03-2009 4:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭

So I only got 335 points in my mocks.
    My grades were so bad! 5 D's and 2 C's:rolleyes:

At the moment I'm doing 6 honors(Eng, Irish, French, Biology, Ag. Science & music) and 1 pass(maths) but my Biology teacher says I should consider pass:( but that would mean even less points:(

I need about 400 but I want more than that.

I'm booked in for easter revision courses in 5 subjects so I'm hoping that they'll help a bit.

Anyway, anyone ever come up that much points between pres and LC???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

You only want to come up 65, that's not exactly impossible. Nearly everyone goes up, a lot of people go up by that much.
    I have friends who went up over 100 points last year.

Seriously, head down, do the study and you'll be well able for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Abstar

It's been a few years since I did the LC but as far as I recall, it was a widely-held belief that you come up at least 100 points in the real thing*. It was certainly true in my case. I remember thinking the marking scheme was a little bizarre in the mocks - it seemed very tough.

Important thing to remember is that you still have plenty of time and you certainly seem to be going about things the right way.

*Obviously depending on study!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭magicianz

Even though you usually get more points, dont say anything like 'oh right well i dont have 2 do more study'. If you want to do the best you can, get grinds on the parts of the subjects u find hardest, appy yourself (tht means limiting social life to a minimum too, the horror! :-o but breaks are gd 4 u too :-P) , try not to skip any sports lessons you usually do, bed on time and healthy diet also play a part! Also try to do early study on weekends as u are most productive in the mornings.(after breakfast)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Check your papers and be clear in your mind where you lost the marks on your mocks. If you understand what you did wrong or what you left out, you're less likely to do it again in the real thing.

Do old exam questions (possibly re-do some of your 'worst' mock questions) and ask a teacher to have a look at them, pointing out your strengths and where you are losing the marks.

Coming up 65 points is very possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭li@mo

I came up 40 points with not much effort.

Points werent really an issue for what i wanted to do so the motivation wasnt there for me.

65 can be done. just keep focused and study

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Ted Bundy

I went up 190 points from my mocks last yr!
    granted i only got 225 in de mocks but still, itl show how easy it is for you to reach your target...

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭english4490

Ted Bundy wrote: »
    I went up 190 points from my mocks last yr!
    granted i only got 225 in de mocks but still, itl show how easy it is for you to reach your target...

how much did you have to put in get that much of an increase??:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Dubs

dont worry about it too much bud, theyre only mocks and thats all they will ever be. I found them to be a nice wake up call as well, you just have to put in the effort between now and june because you will regret it if you dont

and if it makes you feel better... i only got 310 and im aiming for 550 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭english4490

Dubs wrote: »
    dont worry about it too much bud, theyre only mocks and thats all they will ever be. I found them to be a nice wake up call as well, you just have to put in the effort between now and june because you will regret it if you dont

and if it makes you feel better... i only got 310 and im aiming for 550 :D

sadly it makes me feel better! i need a min 450 but i'd say i didn get 350 in the pres!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Kournikova

I have the same problem I got 380 in the mocks and I really want 490, :( Im really worried.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭hopeful_girl

i got 350. need 450. is it possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Samanthawho

I failed all my mocks, my teachers told me to drop down to ordinary. I couldn't because i needed them. I ended up getting all Honours in the real thing. I did study more between the mocks and real thing, but you defo still have a great chance :D

They do mocks to scare people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭magicianz

i got 350. need 450. is it possible?

It is possible once you've put in a lot of work since the mocks! General concensus of what people are saying here is that they have gone up 50-100 points from mocks to the real thing so it is very doable but it is all about a lot of effective studying and study methods

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

i only got 325 and my top course 445.

im just hoping that with hard work it can be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Jeebus

Got 350.

Need 450.

Time to start working. Squeaky bum time is nigh. Especially since I did horribly in the Irish and Spanish orals.

Ah well.

Plenty of time, lads !

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Went from 195 in my mocks to 425 in the real thing... Easy to do if you did absolutely nothing before the mocks :p

conzymaher wrote: »
    Went from 195 in my mocks to 225 in the read thing... Easy to do if you did absolutely nothing before the mocks :p

:D

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Jesus I must have been away with the fairies when I posted that... Did myself out of 200 points haha!

I went from 195 to 425

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Nanaki

I'm gonna quote my other post if no mods mind.
    Nanaki wrote:
    All mocks are not neccesarily marked by the same company.
    Iirc there's 4 or 5 that do it.
    They're marked in a rush, not overly carefully, and often by college students.
    Also, they are sometimes marked harder - a kick in the pants works wonders to motivate a student.
    Don't pay much heed to the results you get. Sure, they're important, the whole idea of the mocks is to give you an idea of an exam situation. But that's it. I'm blue in the face telling people, they are in no way an accurate indication of your current knowledge or mindframe. Nor of the marks you will get You will be thinking differently in june, you will have studied more, you will have finished your coursework (ideally) and you will (hopefully) have calmed down a bit.
    Do not take your grades & points as what you will get in the LC. But learn from mistakes made in the exam. Keep working, or start working if that's the case (certainly was with me!) and best of luck to all in June & August.

Samathawho wrote:
    They do mocks to scare people.
    I don't disagree, they help shock people into working. But christ, don't take them so seriously, it's not like it's written in stone as that's what you're going to get.
    Read what I've said already again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭annie19

i got 335 in mocks last yr in mocks & den wait 4 it 460 in the LC

ull be grand:pac::D;):pxx

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Futurism

annie19 wrote: »
    i got 335 in mocks last yr in mocks & den wait 4 it 460 in the LC

ull be grand:pac::D;):pxx

And obviously got 100 of those points from English.

:confused:hmmm....wats dat supposed to mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Jeebus

Plenty of time.

Especially if you're willing to stay up until 3 tonight so that you finally bloody understand bloody harmonics and overtones in wind instruments.

I NEVER WILL. THERE IS NO POINT. THE END IS NIGH.

Most of my mates, are, to be fair, out smoking weed and drinking tonight, so at least I'm one step ahead of the crowd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Futurism

Jeebus wrote: »
    Plenty of time.

Especially if you're willing to stay up until 3 tonight so that you finally bloody understand bloody harmonics and overtones in wind instruments.

I NEVER WILL. THERE IS NO POINT. THE END IS NIGH.

Most of my mates, are, to be fair, out smoking weed and drinking tonight, so at least I'm one step ahead of the crowd.

Eh do we need to know that stuff in music? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

:confused:hmmm....wats dat supposed to mean?

U kan haz grammr nd spellinz.

Stekelly wrote: »
    U kan haz grammr nd spellinz.

its called shorthand!!!!!!!!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

its called shorthand!!!!!!!!! :p

Nope, its jibberish. This is shorthand http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shorthand

:)

keep the faith! there is good bit of time. if you go into painic mode you will be able to learn very little. I'm talking from experience. stay as sool as a cumber & it will pay off! ;)

now now, that is a bit harsh. Everyone (that has a life) in the 21st century can follow text lanuage! of course if ur writing a piece for an english paper u will use proper english to make ur point. That is all I have to say on the matter. and to inform your ignorance, I did get a A2 in higher level eng!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭liamygunner29

its all about cramming!! just go flat out the nights before and go in and spew it out and never think of it again!! Oh and for the record nobody likes people that correct spelling. Typical boards expert

Advertisement