Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Auto-image resize suggestion?

Options
  • 16-03-2009 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭

Just a quick one, on the Forum I run, I was able to install code which automatically resizes any inline large images to 500 pix wide, and makes the resized picture a clickable link to a pop-up window containing the large original.

Could this be done on boards? The WSIWYG editor allows you to resize images by dragging their edges, but as soon as you submit, it's back to the original size. If impletmented, it would make reading threads a lot simpler where large images are inline.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

This might suit the Development Forum more but +1

• Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

Yeah I would love this , annoyed me when i thought I could re-size images in a post then it turned out massive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

i was just about to post i seen this sugsted last year, would be nice to have even if only a option for each user.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

^^ I knew I had seen a discussion on this before.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Anti wrote: »
    i was just about to post i seen this sugsted last year, would be nice to have even if only a option for each user.
    I imagine an option in the user cp wouldn't be too hard to implement. Think it would be very handy to have.

Edit: One of RBs posts in the other thread show exactly the type of thing you are on about.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I have it sitewide on miniclub.ie, and to be honest, it made the whole site a lot more userfriendly for members who didn't know how to resize images. Would be well worth implementing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

ned78 wrote: »
    I have it sitewide on miniclub.ie, and to be honest, it made the whole site a lot more userfriendly for members who didn't know how to resize images. Would be well worth implementing.
    Does it do anything for the 'weight' of the image file, or just resize it to suit the browser once it's been downloaded?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

The file size remains the same. The downside of that of course is your bandwidth remains the same. The positive is that because the 'thumbnail' is clickable, and the image is preloaded, if you choose to view the original in a pop-up box, there is no additional traffic coming from your server.

Advertisement