Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LOUGHRAN V ALVAREZ

Options
  • 16-03-2009 4:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭

EFR Fight Teams GREG 'HITMAN' LOUGHRAN has been rewarded for 10 wins out of his last 11 starts with a massive fight against EDDIE ALVAREZ at BELLATOR fighting championships in Miami Florida at the Hard Rock Live Arena on April 3rd

This is Gregs Second trip to the states,winning over the highly regarded Jonathan Brookins last time,massive fight for Greg and Irish mma

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

WOW! that's big news.

War Greg!

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭David Jones

That is fantastic news for one of the hardest working fighters in Ireland. Well Done and best of luck Greg!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭mark.leonard

Great stuff! Best of luck Greg. Nice coup for the artist formerly known as UFR Management too, a trip to Miami - do they need an announcer by any chance? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Jason Mc

Always good to see the irish lads do well for themselves.

Hope all goes well for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Wow, great news. A win over Eddie should be the win that gets the UFC interested maybe?

Actually, does this mean Greg is in the Tournament????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

Great news!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭bella1

great news ,
    best of luck from all at TEAM RYANO MMA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Dave Joyce

Fair play to ye Davy and wish Greg the best of luck. Some move on from small halls in Randalstown and Tyrone to Hard Rock in Miami. He really deserves the shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Martin Walker

Cracker!
    Good luck dude.

Great news. He's always a gamer and so is Alvarez so their styles will make a helluva fight. Best of luck to Greg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Wow, that is some coup. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Here is a link to their roster http://www.bellator.com/fighters.html

Loughran must be announcement coming at 155lbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Kent Brockman

While this is great news for Greg and for Irish MMA in general I'm just wondering if any of you that know the fighters involved and the fight game think Greg has a realistic chance of winning this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭_oveless

While this is great news for Greg and for Irish MMA in general I'm just wondering if any of you that know the fighters involved and the fight game think Greg has a realistic chance of winning this?

He didn't win 10 out of his last 11 fights by luck, Greg is known for his workrate and has a great team he has every chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Wow thats one hell of a step up in competition. Hopefully can pull off the upset..

Best of luck Greg.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭Colm_OReilly

Best of luck Greg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

I hope Greg didnt have to give up to much to sign up with Bellator

Bellator apparently try things not even the UFC will do. From MMA Payout.

One area of the ancillary agreement that is raising the ire of fighter advocates and mangers is a clause that has Bellator reserving the right to register as a trademark the fighter’s name, stage name, or identity for the purposes of Bellator carrying out their promotional duties. This sort of arrangement hearkens almost to the type of deals prevalent in the WWE, where the company holds trademarks over the performers stagenames and likenesses. As jaded as MMA reps are at this point by the contractual grabbiness of Zuffa contracts, this clause is seen in some quarters as being beyond the pale, which takes some doing.

The standard term is 36 months or eight bouts, whichever comes first. The contract also has a clause that states that if a fighter is declared champion of his division, wins a tournament or is a tournament runner-up, the contract automatically extends by 18 months or three fights. This is almost a self-fulfilling talent retention process, with the the talent being locked in for longer terms as they achieve within the organization. While not strictly analogous to the UFC’s champion clause, it serves some of the same intents, ie binding the fighter to organization over and above the original term of the contract.

dunkamania wrote: »
    I hope Greg didnt have to give up to much to sign up with Bellator

Bellator apparently try things not even the UFC will do. From MMA Payout.

One area of the ancillary agreement that is raising the ire of fighter advocates and mangers is a clause that has Bellator reserving the right to register as a trademark the fighter’s name, stage name, or identity for the purposes of Bellator carrying out their promotional duties. This sort of arrangement hearkens almost to the type of deals prevalent in the WWE, where the company holds trademarks over the performers stagenames and likenesses. As jaded as MMA reps are at this point by the contractual grabbiness of Zuffa contracts, this clause is seen in some quarters as being beyond the pale, which takes some doing.

The standard term is 36 months or eight bouts, whichever comes first. The contract also has a clause that states that if a fighter is declared champion of his division, wins a tournament or is a tournament runner-up, the contract automatically extends by 18 months or three fights. This is almost a self-fulfilling talent retention process, with the the talent being locked in for longer terms as they achieve within the organization. While not strictly analogous to the UFC’s champion clause, it serves some of the same intents, ie binding the fighter to organization over and above the original term of the contract.

BLAH BLAH BLAH...............
    Good Luck Greg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Good Luck Greg.

Indeed, i mean, who worries about careers?:confused:

The details of the contract are probably under wraps until or after the fight (not sure how the legal wrangling works) but hopefully he got a fair deal.

• Advertisement

Dragan wrote: »
    Indeed, i mean, who worries about careers?:confused:

Im pretty sure the EFR management team will worry about Gregs Career.

_oveless wrote: »
    He didn't win 10 out of his last 11 fights by luck, Greg is known for his workrate and has a great team he has every chance.

Yeah, I got the 10/11 bit, but my question was more about the level of competition/competitors that each fighter has competed against.(After all Tom was undefeated going in to Ufc)

It is a genuine question as I really dont know the answer to(Sherdog records can only tell you so much), and was looking from some insight from people who know more about the 2 fighters than I do.

I hope Greg wins but am just wondering if this is another of those oppertunitys that has to be taken when it arrives, rather than when the fighter is ready?(question not statement)
    Again I'm only asking and intend no offence

(After all Tom was undefeated going in to Ufc)

No offense to Tom Egan but he was very green compared to Loughran, who's had 30 fights (according to mma universe). I really think mma in Ireland both north and south is developing at such a rate where fights like this are acheiveable and winnable for the top guys/girls here.

Good Luck Greg.

I don't see how talking about the Bellator contracts in a thread about a fight taking place in a Bellator event constitutes a blah blah blah comment to be honest? :confused:

Of all the fighters on the Irish circuit, Greg Loughran is the most deserving of a big fight given not only his record but his style.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭roo1981

Good luck to Greg-this is a HUGE fight for him, Alverez is one of the top prospects outside the UFC. If he can pull it off it will be a massive win.

Kent, Gregs been fighting for years now and anything I've heard about him has been good-I think he had a very close scrap with Arni at one of the Ring of Truths a few years ago if anyones got it to youtube up (I may be wrong, I couldnt find it on his records..). He was due to fight Abdul Mohamed for the Cage Rage WW title soon after that, but the fight was called off when Abdul got cut or something...so he's been under the radar for years, its great to see him get a break.

As for the contract situation, I guess its a case of damned if you do, damned if you dont. Same as the UFC really-look at Rashad and Forrest. Their both big names now, but they fought off those poxy TUF contracts for their first 10-15 fights. If you dont sign the contract, you wont get the chance, simple as. Saying that, I'd hope theres some buy out clauses in Gregs should the need arise.

roo1981 wrote: »
    I think he had a very close scrap with Arni at one of the Ring of Truths a few years ago if anyones got it to youtube up (I may be wrong, I couldnt find it on his records..)

You're right. I was ringside, great fight, controversial (read 'hometown' lol) decision for Arni. Noticed it is not on either record:confused:
    Arni dominated on the ground in the first, Greg won on the feet in the 2nd and although it was a close 3rd round alot of people gave it to Greg and he certainly did alot more damage to Arni's face.(Well thats how I remember it)

Also seen Greg on The fight Network years ago,was on his back and seemed to be dominated but survived well and then won by Guillotine-very impressive, good work rate and composure under pressure and then won:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2009/3/23/808316/bellator-fc-lightweight-mi

Complete brackets for the tournaments are up.
    First fight is against Alvarez, and then hopefully, the winner of Thomas Schulte, and Ivan Iberico.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭t-ha

"While this is great news for Greg and for Irish MMA in general I'd just like to bring on a downer." :pac:

WAR GREG!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭kainer2

I can't believe people are on here complaining about the Bellator contracts. Whenever you fight for a big org you have to sign a contract like that which covers image rights, contract extensions, champion clauses and right of first refusal.

Fact is greg is taking a big step-up but i think he will impress yet again in Florida and would anyone else really turn down this opportunity to fight on US TV in a fantastic venue for an organisation that is promising to do a lot fo the sport? Or would you rather fight in a local village hall where no-one will see you for 30 Euro?

I'm sure the guys who sorted this deal out know what they are on about and having seen a Bellator Contract first hand, it really is no different than signing a UFC, EXC or other Major org contract

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭kainer2

Advertisement