Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LOUGHRAN V ALVAREZ

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

kainer2 wrote: »
    I can't believe people are on here complaining about the Bellator contracts. Whenever you fight for a big org you have to sign a contract like that which covers image rights, contract extensions, champion clauses and right of first refusal.
    I'm sure the guys who sorted this deal out know what they are on about and having seen a Bellator Contract first hand, it really is no different than signing a UFC, EXC or other Major org contract

I think you are mistaking concern for complaining. It is very difficult for MMA fighters to break into the big leagues, and we are all fully behind Greg. Having never seen a MMA contract before, I am clearly no expert, but I am guessing that unless you are a big name, the promoter, especially the larger ones call the shots. That being said, I dont doubt that EFR have done their diligence and all parties are happy with the terms of the deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Kent Brockman

t-ha wrote: »
    "While this is great news for Greg and for Irish MMA in general I'd just like to bring on a downer." :pac:

Don't think its quite the same really.....
    While this is great news for Greg and for Irish MMA in general I'm just wondering if any of you that know the fighters involved and the fight game think Greg has a realistic chance of winning this?

Try changing the names and the sport and see if my question would be met with such negativity?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

In all honesty, it looks like Belator consider Greg to be the least likely fighter in the tournament to beat Alvarez. I'm not judging him here, I don't know how he compares to most of the other fighters as I haven't seen them all. But Belator is being broadcast for the Hispanic audience and Eddie Alvarez is one of the most successful Hispanic fighters (definitely their biggest star), so it's in their best interests to have him go through here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

dunkamania wrote: »

Alvarez looks a lot thicker than Greg. Would Greg have even cut weight for this fight?

From reading the comments, it looks like we'll be able to watch an English language broadcast of the show from next Wednesday on the Belator site. I wasn't sure if I'd watch their shows, but if it's that easy then I probably will

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

A tan will do that for you! Also Greg has maybe 3/4 inches on him. I love watching Greg he's a smashing fighter and I hope he brings home the bacon.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 thebandit01

Greg can do this. I was training with him every day b4 he went. He hits hard!!!! And he will hit eddie even harder!!!! Bring it home to the EFR mate...We are all behind you best of luck.....;);););)

Alvarez won via guillotine choke at 2:44 of round one. Greg did drop him down to a knee with a punch before that, but Alvarez survived and took him down and submitted him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

:D

20090404011003_alvarez_lg.JPG&width_size=600

Too bad for Loughran, but still great to see any Irish lad compete on the bigger stages

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭t-ha

Too bad for Greg - still though, dropping a guy like Alvarez must be a good advertisement for him for future high-level bouts?

Also, can someone tell me how he (alvarez) got up there in that pic?!!

Yeah, hard luck to greg.
    calex71 wrote: »

20090404011003_alvarez_lg.JPG&width_size=600

It must tough fighting someone who can fly

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭roo1981

t-ha wrote: »
    Too bad for Greg - still though, dropping a guy like Alvarez must be a good advertisement for him for future high-level bouts?

Also, can someone tell me how he (alvarez) got up there in that pic?!!

I'd agree, dropping Alverez is no joke, fair play to Greg

I would have thought he was being sucked up by some giant (possibly alien)vacuum cleaner device in the roof..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Here's the video of the fight: http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/x8vpry

I thought Greg fought very well. He should be proud of himself and his camp should be proud of themselves. That was a spirited performance against a top 5 lightweight who has beaten the likes of Hansen and Kawajiri.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 jughead202

as far as i hear he stood up on the cage and done a back flip lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭David Jones

Great performance, it looked like Alvarez didnt want to trade after first few minutes. Greg definitely came to bang and didnt look fazed at all, although with 30 plus fights you would expect that. I hope this gets him more opportunities, he has definitely worked hard enough, and its a pity Dana et al havent noticed thusfar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

thanks for the video , the result on paper didnt do him justice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Kent Brockman

WoW! fair play to Greg. My original concerns seem a bit misplaced now!
    He really looked like he belonged there and was doing very well on his feet, looked a nasty Guill.. Gillit... Choke:rolleyes: Hopefully this will open a few doors for Greg after all he could have won it on the feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Well done to Greg! def had Eddie rocked! the commentators just kept saying in spanish over and over how dangerous Greg was, and had really soild n crisp boxing technique(hands of stone) and kicks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

Eddie Alverez is probably on everyone's top 10 lw list in the world and greg took it to him. Eddie's wrestling got him out of a hole but greg looked awesome up to that point. I'd say the bellator guys were on the edge of their seats watching their no 1 fighter get dropped. well done greg and efr.

• Advertisement
Advertisement