Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What exactly is a distinction?

Options
  • 16-03-2009 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭

Hi, I am currently finishing a higher cert in DIT and am hoping to gain a distinction in my end of term exams so I may get offered a place in year 3 of a degree programme. I am just wondering, does a distintion overall mean an A in every subject, or does it mean an average of an A (70%)?
    So would I have to get 70% or over in every one of my exams to achieve this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

DeadMoney
    What exactly is a distinction?

–noun
    1. a marking off or distinguishing as different: His distinction of sounds is excellent.
    2. the recognizing or noting of differences; discrimination: to make a distinction between right and wrong.
    3. a discrimination made between things as different; special regard or favoritism: Death comes to all without distinction.
    4. condition of being different; difference: There is a distinction between what he says and what he does.
    5. a distinguishing quality or characteristic: It has the distinction of being the oldest house in the town.
    6. a distinguishing or treating with special honor, attention, or favor.
    7. an act of bestowing, or a mark of, honor or favor.
    8. marked superiority; note; eminence.
    9. distinguished appearance.
    10. Obsolete. division; separation

I hope this helps :):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

^^ I think you've missed the point, maybe on purpose. In DIT a 1st Class Honour is called a distinction afaik. I think you just have to average above 70% so you can get 90% in one thing and 60% in another. Should be the average just. Hope this helps. I'm not overly clear on the DIT rules as this is my first year attending.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭armchairninja

A Distinction is the name given to an overall grade of 1.1 in a Level 7 course, an overall mark of 70%+ is required to achieve it, so you could do really good in one module and poor in another module/subject and as long as the averages for all your exams and course work come to a total of more than 70% you will have a distinction

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭DeadMoney

A Distinction is the name given to an overall grade of 1.1 in a Level 7 course, an overall mark of 70%+ is required to achieve it, so you could do really good in one module and poor in another module/subject and as long as the averages for all your exams and course work come to a total of more than 70% you will have a distinction

Excellent, ty! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

Distinction - The act of killing Dinosaurs, hence making them distinct!!

Since when do you need Dinstinctions in a Higher Cert to continue with a degree ??

I am of the understanding that just passing the higher cert was sufficient to continue

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

john47832 wrote: »

Since when do you need Dinstinctions in a Higher Cert to continue with a degree ??

I am of the understanding that just passing the higher cert was sufficient to continue

To the best of my knowledge, it determines which year you go into. Less than 70% average goes into 2nd year of the degree; 70% average or above go into third year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

To the best of my knowledge, it determines which year you go into. Less than 70% average goes into 2nd year of the degree; 70% average or above go into third year.

Im confused

Higher Cert - first 2 years
    Ordinary degree - 3rd year
    Honors Degree - 4th year

Correct me if i'm wrong

First off, I got confused about the higher cert bit, thought they were talking about an ordinary degree :o

Ordinary degree goes into 2nd or 3rd year, depending on results as I outlined earlier. Don't know about higher cert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

This is simply not true.

explain why it happened so....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

I doubt thats true and if it is it is an absolutely laughable system.

So somebody gets 69% and their deemed to be a full academic year behind somebody who got 70%.....lol

in my year this happened (I started out in the level 8 course so it's someone going into it).

they didn't do well enough in their level 7 course so insted of going into 3rd year, they went into 2nd year. My year (albeit not my class).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

Babybing wrote: »
    I doubt thats true and if it is it is an absolutely laughable system.

So somebody gets 69% and their deemed to be a full academic year behind somebody who got 70%.....lol

College marking schemes generally make that 1% difference between 1.1 and 2.1 into a chasm of a difference. You don't get a 1.1 unless you've really earned it.

Advertisement