Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

good home wanted for male rabbit waterford

Options
  • 16-03-2009 5:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi, I am looking for a good home for a male rabbit, black, 8 months old called Nibbles. We have two males but they've recently started to fight so we can't keep them both together anymore. The older one was neutered and the vet suggests we do the same for Nibbles but at €107 we can't afford it. He's used to being out in the garden quite a bit so it would be great if his new owner could give him a bit of freedom. I am in the Tramore, waterford, Dunhill area. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

You can't afford NOT to neuter him.

Seriously, you have a problem with one of your pets and you know the solution but instead of helping him out, you've decided to pass the problem along to someone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 sarahq

I would appreciate if you have nothing constructive to say then don't reply. Not everyone has 107 to spare. !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭CATWOMEN

Hi
    that's why this forum is here, to help people out,
    comments like that will just put people off,
    what do you want them to do with it dump it,
    on some shelter.
    I have been waiting for a rabbit to re home ,
    and my son wants a black male would love to take him.
    if you want to send private message, will exchange details.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

€107 is a lot for a neuter have you tried shopping around for different prices obviously no matter what an experienced rabbit vet would be needed sometimes though if you are a regular (and the vet has experience with neutering rabbits) you can work out a payment plan with the vets.

Anyone getting a rabbit must take in to consideration the cost of neutering/spaying before they even get the rabbit not blaming the op sometimes pet shops don't provide rabbit owners with enough information before they purchase.

If you rehome the other bun the responsible thing to do is to have him neutered before re homing him anyway to avoid problems in the new home because he could be returned to you if problems arise. The neutered bun you have at the moment could be lonley and would probably need another rabbit as company like a spayed female anyway.

If you cannot afford the 107 for the neutering what will you do if the other rabbit becomes ill and needs an operation or treatement and it costs that amount, or more? I'm not trying to be horrible I know times are hard for everyone but these things need to be thought through and am saying this just in case other people are reading this and considering getting a rabbit as a pet.

Most insurance company's will cover domestic pets,
    for a reasonable fee i have all my pets covered ,
    Not sure if i can give the name here.
    my dogs are even covered for damage to property,other animals.
    and ill health. so are my cats goat and also my rabbit.
    have been looking after animals for twenty years now, and if you pet is well looked after its very seldom i visit a vet to be honest,
    but yes it is better to think of all these things before you take on a pet.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

CATWOMEN wrote: »
    comments like that will just put people off

Hopefully, someone thinking of getting a rabbit in the future might see this thread and realise the expense that's involved with owning one. They're small and fluffy and I'm sick of seeing them being treated as disposable- like flushing a goldfish down the toilet.

I, too, have had animals and pets for well over 20 years- eveything from cats and dogs to rabbits, snakes, chickens, birds and fish. Certainly, none of my animals are constantly at the vet and I have the relevant insurance to cover big issues but I think it's ridiculous of the OP to just ignore the issue and pass her problem off to someone else.

A rabbit is a big commitment and not doing something for a medical issue he has (or an aggression issue that can be remedied by a medical procedure) is cruel and neglectful. It's €107- twenty quid in a jar every week and it's paid for after a little over a month. As broke as everyone is at the moment, I think I'd live on tinned Lidl spaghetti for a month before allowing one of my pets to suffer for the sake of €107. Come to think of it, two animals are suffering in this instance as the first male is probably bearing some of the brunt of the second male's aggression.

The OP has taken on more than she can handle and didn't research her choice of animal enough to know that two male rabbits would most likely both need to be spayed in order to living happily together. The responsible thing for her to do would be to have him spayed and the two rabbits should get along happily. Instead, she's chosen to take the easy option and get rid of him. I really cannot see the OP's point here.

Like I said, hopefully this will serve to make a future potential rabbit-owner realise that there's more to owning one than €15 to a petshop and the occasional carrot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 sarahq

Thanks for your replies.

At the time we bought the rabbits we didn't know if they were male or female for a few weeks and when we found out they were both males we thought we had nothing to worry about- no baby rabbits. They were perfect for a few months but I guess they are getting older & one wants to dominate and I really don;t want to come home one day to find one seriously injured. We have decided to get the younger one neutered. I've spoken to the vet and she says it may help calm him down but theres no guarantees. They have a very large hutch and at the moment we have one upstairs and one downstairs and a rotation system for use of the back garden so we'll continue with that until we make an appointment with the vet and once the black one is healed we'll put them back together.

Catwoman thanks a million for agreeing to take him and apologies to your son but hopefully he'll find a rabbit soon.

This is the first time I have every used boards and I was quite shocked at the way some people can be so judgemental and somewhat nasty in their replies even though they don;t know anything about me.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Hey Sarah I'm sorry if the rabbit lovers here have come across as a bit harsh but you have no idea just how common your predicament is, and sadly it's always the little buns that suffer for it. Whoever sold you the rabbits should have sexed them properly for you. Rabbits are social creatures like ourselves, they live in groups and can be very lonely if housed on their own. The best combo in terms of getting along is a neutered male and a neutered (spayed) female. That is something you should have been made aware of before taking on these rabbits but I appreciate there is not a whole lot of information out there on rabbit care unless you go looking for it. Your two males are fighting now because they have become sexually mature. It would be better for both rabbits to be neutered as it relieves them of a lot of frustration and does have a calming effect on their behaviour. They make much better pets once they've been neutered.

The male bun you want to rehome should be going to a home where he has a neutered female for company, and the introductions should be be done gradually and under supervision.

Likewise the rabbit you are keeping should ideally have a neutered female companion too.

Your rabbits should also be vaccinated against VHD and myxomatosis - that's another yearly expense but it's absolutely vital as your poor bun could suffer an awful, agonising death otherwise. These diseases are far more common than you would think. Again this is not something that people are made aware of when they purchase a rabbit, unfortunately.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

There is no guarantee that getting the rabbit neutered
    will solve the problem, but best of luck let us know how you
    get on. Don't be put off using the board it really can be very
    helpful, with a lot of people that give great advice.wink.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 37 jessicaR

Hi Sarah, hope things work out with your two rabbits. make sure you re-bond them slowly and on neutral territory once the neutred bun is all healed up

• Advertisement
Advertisement